KiHa 40 BBQ Train!?

Guest ___

It's a train that was once run by JR Hokkaido from 2000~2003.  The barbeque car (naha 29000) was typically sandwiched between kiha 40 DMU or part of a loco-hauled train.  The underframe and running gear is from a waki 10000, which was used formerly for cartrain services, and before that, palletized cargo.

Wikipedia page (Japanese):

naha29000

Of course the Japanese idea of a BBQ is a bit different to the picture most of us would conjure up, I don't think there would be many steaks or sausages on the grill. I still wouldn't pass up the opportunity though, especially on a train. :grin

CaptOblivious

Of course the Japanese idea of a BBQ is a bit different to the picture most of us would conjure up, I don't think there would be many steaks or sausages on the grill. I still wouldn't pass up the opportunity though, especially on a train. :grin

Steaks or sausages? Please. Where I'm from, down in Mississippi, barbecue means burying a whole hog in a 3-foot deep trench of coals at sunrise, and drinking beer until it's done about lunch time. :D Can't do that on a train!

As Bikkuri mentioned this no longer runs, but they do have some DE10-hauled Norokko specials on the Senmo Line that have an open car with a small coal stove on which passengers can grill octopus, squid, the usual stuff.  I'm sure there's beer somewhere...

Steaks or sausages? Please. Where I'm from, down in Mississippi, barbecue means burying a whole hog in a 3-foot deep trench of coals at sunrise, and drinking beer until it's done about lunch time. :D Can't do that on a train!

That's my idea of BBQ.

• Like 1

oh damn, have tried to keep from buying more trains. how did i miss this one!

looks like fun!

mmmm bbq...

cheers

jeff

Yeah, "barbecue" is a bit misleading. You don't grill hamburgers and stadium hotdogs on these things. They're Korean grills (yakiniku in Japanese, pulgogi in Korean) and are generally used for thin cuts of beef, chicken, squid, vegetables, etc.

Man, what I wouldn't give to ride that train.

Yeah, the video I saw of it, in the consist of a Kushiro Shitsugen Norokko service, looked awesome.  Never was I so hungry for grilled squid and octopus.

Available for order on HS. Just ordered mine.

From reading your two consecutive posts, I'm wondering if HS has implemented "rolling outages" of its inventory.  :grin

Rich K.

well on the 18th, it still was showing reservations closed. then i got the notice this morning they were in stock, so i ordered one on credit. im broke as hell and surely do not have the money to order it, so i had to put it on the card and hope that maybe some work i put in for the wire service may pay me next week, though i doubt it. i basically put myself in more debt for this one :(