JR East Series 253 (ex-NEX) - "Nikko" and "Kinugawa" livery

miyakoji

The 185 also has a leg that starts from and later returns to Hachioji when it goes to Nikko on the weekends.

Taken last Saturday at Shinjuku.

DSC_0982.jpg

This one reads Hachioji Nikko.

DSC_0983.jpg

For some reason, I didn't catch the other English version.

DSC_0984.jpg

DSC_0985.jpg

Will shoot the interior to see if there is a difference next weekend.

Best wishes,

Grant

Will shoot the interior to see if there is a difference next weekend.

Shots of the interior would be very nice to see. That's something you don't see much of online. And I'm definitely curious about what makes the 485 preferred.

Hard to be sure without better side-on pictures, but I think "boring" is the right word. Not anywhere near as garish as the drawing suggested it would be, but it seems lacking in appeal.

Looks much much better then the artist's rendering. Though very boring. However, it stands out between other JR East trains, so that makes it interesting again. Maybe if there are pictures in a different light, one could judge it better.

A couple of videos of both the Snow Monkey trainset and 253-1000 series being moved through Zushi Station:

*I love the winter light in the Kanto region...

As you can see, the 253-1000 for Nikko services has the newer DT69/TR254 bogies, while the Snow Monkey has the original DT56B/TR241C types.  Also, the Nikko trainset has been fitted with VVVF electrical equipment.

Some people were asking about the differences between the 189 and 485. There doesn't seem to be any difference.

DSC_0289-1.jpg

DSC_0290-1.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

189 taken last month and the 485 taken earlier this month.

Not very many people seem to shooting these trains, just a trickle last night. I asked someone shooting the 485 last night when they might be retired and he seemed to feel that it was sometime in March. I think that I just found where I'm going on one of the days on the three day pass.

Best wishes.

Grant

Some people were asking about the differences between the 189 and 485. There doesn't seem to be any difference.

The 183/189 series are DC 1500V units, while the 498 series are dual current DC/AC 20kv.  Otherwise they are pretty much the same.  Good idea about using the three day pass to ride one of these units.  Make sure to ride in a motor car (moha)- you will get the enjoyment of hearing those mt54 traction motors doing their work, especially if you sit above the bogie areas.

Here is a poster informing that service start will be on April 16th. There will be two display days, Feb. 12th at Shinagawa, on platform 9 and Feb. 2oth, at Tobu Nikko, at platform 6. Found a handout at Omiya yesterday. None at Shinjuku.  It will be three cars with no driver car at the end.

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Will photograph and post it later.

Best wishes,

Grant

Here's the back of the brochure showing the new Kinugawa 353. The front is the same as the poster.

Slightly wider seat pitch and two Powder Corner for ladies.

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0006-4.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Love It or Hate It (JR Series 253)

:laugh:  Well, it could be neither--this livery isn't as bad as the renderings looked, nor is it as good as it could be.