Jules Verne's train is back in stock

Claude_Dreyfus

Amazingly one of the dealers in the UK is getting some in stock...

http://www.wellingtonmodels.com/10440/info.php?p=9&pno=0

Had my Paypal account not have been recently boosted by a couple of sales I may well have diverted my order to them. Still, I am now waiting with baited breath for the arrival...some time towards the end of next week I reckon...

may not be sold out totally, HS usually gets a small stock of new/rerelease things past the reserve quantity and then if they sell out and lots of folks go on the wait list they usually restock pretty fast then -- that is if ma still has stock. hoping ma made a good run of these as they are very popular or maybe they are doing the disney model of limited releases and back in to the vaults to keep the demand ultra high!

must admit its one of my most favorite trains/models! ive been tempted over the years to get a second!

popondetta has them IS

http://www.popondetta.jp/asp/cgi-bin/shop.php?forward=gds_inf&back_screen=gds_srh&stock_no=571E0101G0012375

cheers

jeff

Now I can't put mine up for sale at ten times what I bought it for and say "L@@K rare, long out of production, hard to get". :sad: Micro-Ace seem to be doing a few reruns lately, not their usual style.

may not be sold out totally, HS usually gets a small stock of new/rerelease things past the reserve quantity and then if they sell out and lots of folks go on the wait list they usually restock pretty fast then -- that is if ma still has stock. hoping ma made a good run of these as they are very popular or maybe they are doing the disney model of limited releases and back in to the vaults to keep the demand ultra high!

must admit its one of my most favorite trains/models! ive been tempted over the years to get a second!

popondetta has them IS

http://www.popondetta.jp/asp/cgi-bin/shop.php?forward=gds_inf&back_screen=gds_srh&stock_no=571E0101G0012375

cheers

jeff

I just went to HS and they are shown as in stock at the moment.

The re-issue has been released. I pre-ordered mine, except because I had so much other stuff coming, I decided to cancel the order when my CC on file didn't go through (because I cancelled the card as a result of the security breach). It was out of stock when I checked yesterday, but after canceling my order last night and getting confirmation, there's stock again! So I assume they have 1 set. Get it while you can boys!!!

I was confused about the Jules Verne nickname, thinking that a new type of model had been announced.  After reading the messages I tumbled to what I had always believed, after discussion on another group when this train was new, that the design was based on a samurai mask for the cab, and shield shapes for the windows. Presumably there will be other design features inside the cabs?

Angus McLean

I like the 50000 but it's just too big for me to run. I don't run trains over 3 cars on the home layout, 4 on the JNS layout.

think you mean jrm layout, a shinkansen slip there...

I was confused about the Jules Verne nickname, thinking that a new type of model had been announced.  After reading the messages I tumbled to what I had always believed, after discussion on another group when this train was new, that the design was based on a samurai mask for the cab, and shield shapes for the windows. Presumably there will be other design features inside the cabs?

Angus McLean

Angus,

yes its just when most folks see it with the big central spine on the front, but round windows and such they think nautilus.

the insides are nicely appointed with a fair amount of wood detail. feels very different than most train interiors, so i think they took the design into the interior some as well.

cheers

jeff

To me the Rapi:t looks more like the Nautilus then a kabuto (samurai helmet). A very cool design, but for me as well too long for my layout as I have even tighter restrictions then Shashinka :P

TBH, the gold "V" on front of most classic JNR Ltd. Express stock (eg. 185 and 485 Series) look much more like a part from a kabuto that represent horns or kuwagata.

we had some kids call it the darth vader train at shows as head on it does sort of look like darth vader's mask!

jeff

That's what time will do, different generations. I know exactly what someone means when they say the "Jules Verne" train. A few months ago, my boss needed to listen to an LP and asked our 23-year old Production assistant to go to the phonograph and play it for him. She had no idea how it worked. It was then we realized that she never grew up with record albums.  :grin

Martijn Meerts

I'm with Toni.. I've never considered the Rapi:t to look like a kabuto (and, as such, never considered it to look like Darth Vader ;)). But the "V" is definitely inspired by the half-moon crests often used on the kabuto. I too think it's more Jules Verne style.

Bernard, LP's have a certain something. On a good hifi set you can almost feel the sound on an LP is much warmer than on a CD. Unfortunately, when I grew up the CD just became popular, and of course I had to have the "newest and greatest" technology.. On the other hand, most modern music is so digital, you wouldn't hear the difference anyway. For classical and orchestral music and such, I try to go SACD though, at adds a bit of the warmth of an LP =)

we had some kids call it the darth vader train at shows as head on it does sort of look like darth vader's mask!

jeff

That's what time will do, different generations. I know exactly what someone means when they say the "Jules Verne" train. A few months ago, my boss needed to listen to an LP and asked our 23-year old Production assistant to go to the phonograph and play it for him. She had no idea how it worked. It was then we realized that she never grew up with record albums.  :grin

Bernard,

Big LOL and a bit scary to feel that old! hopefully the kids are still reading jules verne, he was a big part of my early childhood!

jeff

it looks like a hockey helmet to me.

So that's why the NY Islanders are playing so poorly! If I wore a helmet designed like the Rapi:t I wouldn't be able to see the puck either. :grin