Woman left sleeping in out of service subway car

gmat

My guard and I were walking past a train in the yard once and heard someone banging on the window, we walked them over to the yard office where they were gotten a taxi. It happens occasionally here, more often someone with their earphones in oblivious to announcements being made, often once you've cleared out the train someone runs up and jumps in before you shut the doors.

I once rode the NYCTA Brooklyn Bridge loop line (which reverses trains for their NB trip to the Bronx) so I could see the closed (and magnificient) City Hall station. Nominally this is non-revenue trackage so I played the the "dumb blonde" trick and stayed on the train at BB station. Since nobody came to inspect the car I was in, I got my trip. Could have ended in trouble though as there are a pair of dead-end sidings inside the loop and the train could have been routed into one of them...

Cheers NB

Mudkip Orange

City Hall is frickin' insane. Moscow levels of subway opulence.

The Transit Museum runs tours a couple times a year if you're ever interested in actually stepping out onto the platform.

I read this article and it made my blood boil. The crew of this train are from my depot, and I've become involved in the investigation.

What this d*ckhead conveniently fails to mention is that, as shown by the CCTV footage, he waited until the platform staff and train crew had their backs turned and then he boarded the train. During this time, the platform PA was repeatedly announcing that this was a terminating train, as well the platform indicators were showing "Terminating Train." Once the train has stabled in the turnback road, the crew leave it there, and I might point out they are not obliged to check the train for overcarried passengers, as they have only a short time to make their way back to the platform to relieve another train.

Having said that, the driver walked back through the length of the train as he was leaving, and he said he did not see the passenger at that time, nor did anyone attempt to attract his attention.

And when the bloke claims there is no mobile telephone reception in the turnback, he is lying. There is a leaky feeder installed there, both telephones and the train radio work fine in there. I know, because I work a train up there at least once every day.

The moral? Don't believe everything you read in the paper, particularly if it's one of Rupert Murdoch's rags.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

The Transit Museum runs tours a couple times a year if you're ever interested in actually stepping out onto the platform.

That's something I've always wanted to do. Mike, there's an idea for the next time I'm up in the city.

I read this article and it made my blood boil. The crew of this train are from my depot, and I've become involved in the investigation.

What this d*ckhead conveniently fails to mention is that, as shown by the CCTV footage, he waited until the platform staff and train crew had their backs turned and then he boarded the train. During this time, the platform PA was repeatedly announcing that this was a terminating train, as well the platform indicators were showing "Terminating Train." Once the train has stabled in the turnback road, the crew leave it there, and I might point out they are not obliged to check the train for overcarried passengers, as they have only a short time to make their way back to the platform to relieve another train.

Having said that, the driver walked back through the length of the train as he was leaving, and he said he did not see the passenger at that time, nor did anyone attempt to attract his attention.

And when the bloke claims there is no mobile telephone reception in the turnback, he is lying. There is a leaky feeder installed there, both telephones and the train radio work fine in there. I know, because I work a train up there at least once every day.

The moral? Don't believe everything you read in the paper, particularly if it's one of Rupert Murdoch's rags.

Cheers,

Mark.

Good to see your passengers down there are as good as ours. Sorry, I meant 'customers', if we call them passengers up here now we are liable to disciplinary action.

The customer service people would crucify me for saying this but instances like this are almost always the passenger's fault.

• Like 2
The guy's snarky emails made me suspicious this guy really wasn't "suffering" through his ordeal.

I had the same thought. The story first apppeared in the "mX" newspaper, which immediately made me suspicious. mX is a local version of the European "Metro" free newspapers, it's owned by News Limited. It has a distinct and very obvious bias against CityRail. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole "story' was a set-up.

Cheers,

Mark.

Good to see your passengers down there are as good as ours.

Yes, our passengers embrace "world's best practice" when it comes to sheer stupidity.

Sorry, I meant 'customers', if we call them passengers up here now we are liable to disciplinary action.

LOL! I aways maintain that they can't be customers - customers pay their way!

The customer service people would crucify me for saying this but instances like this are almost always the passenger's fault.

That's what I reckon too, Alvin. But if your customer service people are anything like ours, they'd have no actual experience of dealing with the passengers...

Cheers,

Mark.

Good to see your passengers down there are as good as ours.

Yes, our passengers embrace "world's best practice" when it comes to sheer stupidity.

Sorry, I meant 'customers', if we call them passengers up here now we are liable to disciplinary action.

LOL! I aways maintain that they can't be customers - customers pay their way!

That's what I reckon too, Alvin. But if your customer service people are anything like ours, they'd have no actual experience of dealing with the passengers...

Cheers,

Mark.

You speak the truth on all three counts.

The guy's snarky emails made me suspicious this guy really wasn't "suffering" through his ordeal.

I had the same thought. The story first apppeared in the "mX" newspaper, which immediately made me suspicious. mX is a local version of the European "Metro" free newspapers, it's owned by News Limited. It has a distinct and very obvious bias against CityRail. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole "story' was a set-up.

Cheers,

Mark.

Good to see the "MX" is the same down there too. We usually find out about timetable and service alterations from it before QR tells us though.

I agree entirely. However all the times I was in NYC were in winter and the Transit Museum run their tours in summer :sad:. The last time I was in the US was over a decade ago and I have no plans for going back soon...

Cheers NB

Good to see your passengers down there are as good as ours. Sorry, I meant 'customers', if we call them passengers up here now we are liable to disciplinary action.

Big pet peeve here--I work in gov't and we're supposed to provide "excellent customer service." No problem with the idea, we're there to help, but the "gov't should be like business" thing is BS. I guess the people pushing this stuff are too literal-minded to notice that "the customer is always right" doesn't *mean* "the customer is always right." It means "tell them what they want to hear, or give them a refund, so that we can fool them into coming back to spend more money." Not the way I'd prefer for us to treat "citizens," or  "people," as they used to be called.

The customer service people

Is a  great title for a suspense/sci-fi movie. A modern version of The Stepford Wives.

• Like 2