ICE/Shinkansen Portal prototype

inobu

Tired of the unfinished projects and I have a little time so I'm back on the portal project. I have been unsuccessful in finding actual elevation drawings for the Wahnscheid-Dickheck or like. I did not like the first version. I'm going to try it again. (takes a lot of time). The drawings makes it easier but I can't find any.

I did find drawing of a us portal but its huge. 12"x8"x5. Real world dim 183' x 112'x73'.  

Here is the link is anyone is interested. http://www.calhsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/TM-2.4.6-Tunnel-Portal-Facilities-R0-100621.pdf

[smg id=1351]

I'm not sure what they are building but it is a 3 story facility with venting system. It looks like it will be a bit much for the typical layout.

Not sure which way to go.

Kinda want a universal HSR portal that will work for all modeling regions.

Inobu

[smg id=909]

I really like this one but no dimension data.  :sad:

Inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

Still can't find the Faller 272582 Ice/Road Tunnel Portal in stock. Due August.

Dimensions 125x170x100mm.

I see what you mean 7"x5"x4". I guess it is in the ball park.

I'm working on a deck for the via duct to connect to.  

[smg id=1352]

I'm going to try the Nanbuyama.

lets see how it goes.

Inobu

OK,

I omitted the plate that way you can place the portal where ever you want.

It is as wide as the Viaduct station platform and the tunnel portal is 212 mm.  (1 panel short of the via duct track). The block wall  102 mm

83.37 mm tall and 238 wide.

Inside tunnel is 65.93 mm tall and 91.61 mm wide.

[smg id=1353]

Here is a shorter tunnel. Let me know if you see anything that need changing? I don't mind any type of comments. 

[smg id=1355]

Going to do a paper cutout to make sure that the size is proportional to the track and train.

Inobu

I did a really quick paper mock up and the size seems to be good.

I have a viaduct that leads into the tunnel. It is the same width as the viaduct station plate. It is hard to gauge the width of the walkway. I wish I had the dimension then there would be no question. The height is the same level as the poles so that looks about right.

[smg id=1356]

[smg id=1357]

[smg id=1358]

Look at how deceiving the size factor is, it is so hard to over come. See the concrete studs sticking upfrom the slab and then look at the little windows.

hachinohe0706-05.jpg

Now look at the guy walking by the stud. LOL really throws you for a loop.

hachinohe0706-06.jpg

The paper mock ups are the way to go first. I should have done that the last time.

Inobu

• Like 1

It looks slightly over-sized to me but it also looks pretty good. Maybe you shouldn't try to be accurate height wise but to produce something that looks good to your eye. Nobody would be able to see a 1 or 2 mm differences.

It looks slightly over-sized to me but it also looks pretty good. Maybe you shouldn't try to be accurate height wise but to produce something that looks good to your eye. Nobody would be able to see a 1 or 2 mm differences.

OK,

Do you think the same width of the cantenary poles? I'm going to scale it down to that.

Inobu

Looks great!

Thanks, I put it to the side for a minute got caught up in the controller test. I will do another paper mockup with more detail.

Inobu

Yeah, trying to get that balance between functional, symmetry and scale is something else. I have to take into consideration the pantograph and the alignment of the cantenarys too.

At least this time I'm going trough the paper mock up first.

Inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

I'm looking to incorporate these portals into my Ntrak modules to break the monotony between scenes.

Maybe a 1 inch thick border with the portal flanges pointing inwards.

Maybe the Faller portals will work after some cutting.

Let me know when you are ready for production :)

ok,

Here is the first article of the portal.

I used 6lb foam it might be a little too porous. I'm hoping that the coating will close it up and leave a little texture to it , we'll see. I have to cut the underside and then extract it. That will be a challenge I hope I can get it without incident.

[smg id=1369]

Inobu

I"m not sure how to do it yet. Thinking about filling it with foam shavings but don"t know what to use for spackel mix so to speak. We will see.

I'll post it when I get it cut out.

Inobu

looking nice. Would be interested in this one day when I build next layout.

Can't wait to see some finished shots in the future!

Good luck!  :grin

That is really amazing sofar Inobu, can't wait to see how this goes for the final product as it would be very handy to have in a layout. as I feel that there isn't that much of tunnel portals that are designed for shinkansen/ICE trains. Keep it up and best of luck.

ok,

Here is the first cut article.

[smg id=1372]

[smg id=1371]

[smg id=1370]

I think I will try a sectional component it looks to be the better solution.

Still have to address the size issue and this foam is too light, need denser foam to create more detail. over all it ok for the first round. I will start on the next one.

Inobu

Inobu,

i am in awe of how fast you can whip this stuff out and do such fantastic casting!

something changed in the shape though from your circular paper prototype and this casting, what was caused this? to be honest i liked the nice circular design, but your casting is superb!!!

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

Are there 3 track, high speed Portals?

The Faller 272582 and the Noch 34840 are both around 105mm wide each.

Need to contain 3 Unitracks that will span 125mm. Ntrak standards.