Modemo and Tomytec trams 2011

Fenway Park

Wow great pictures, I was hesitating to put a reservation in, but those drew me across the line :)

I just hope the Modemo makes it through the same tight curves real Combino's do...

If these are truly independent mechanisms then should be no problem at all. even the Hodei combino with a shared mechanism navigates the super mini radius tomix track no problem. i should have taken a video as i did a little twisty track once with the super mini radius and the hodei and it was quite cute snaking around. the 5 segment really looks great going through turnouts, crossovers, etc like some caterpillar. really is a neat tram to run!

cheers

jeff

Aye, I think this development in Modemo's motorisation is a good thing. I suspect the middle bogies aren't going to be able to pick up power, like in the Enoden and Tokyu articulated trains... Shame though.

thanks for the link to the picts! did you ever find the interview post they mentioned? i poked around but could not find it.

I think they asked for permission to publish the pictures in this 'interview'. The Google Translate engine probably had some fun again.

yeah it was a hope, but i too doubt the middle bogie will have pickup. their enoden and tokyu articulates do well with just the end bogie pickup, they are not prone to stalling or hesitating also the distance between the bogies seems to make them navigate points and such better as usually one bogie is on good rail on one side or another.

i need to open my hodie at some point and see how they did everything. it also needs some work, i hope to get rid of the grinding noise it makes and it does tend to heat up after a while.

cheers

jeff

I've found some better pictures which light out more on the drive mechanism.

http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10131951b2/30/2

Looks like the motor is located in the middle part and power goes to the front bogies... It'll probably guarantee a good weight and power distribution, but not really a good omen for future development of a 3-car type Combino. Too bad they haven't gone for the KATO Portram-style low-floor mechanism, but that would probably have been too expensive to develop for Modemo. Pity though.

• Like 1