Mother stands up to drunks on train

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Courageous act by this woman, opposite can be said of the behavior of train staff- stinks of "it's not our business" corporatism:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317727/Mum-defeats-yobs-standing-track-stop-train-foul-mouthed-football-mob-traps-family--rail-staff-refuse-police.html

Reading this makes me thankful of conditions in Japan, though attacks on train staff have increased here, this is almost always perpetrated by solitary drunks (and mainly in Kansai).

Samurai_Chris

Good girl!

Problem back in Australia, she probably would have been stabbed for her troubles. Particularly on the Ipswich line in Brisbane... I don't miss that train ride believe me!

Good girl!

Problem back in Australia, she probably would have been stabbed for her troubles. Particularly on the Ipswich line in Brisbane... I don't miss that train ride believe me!

Hey, I'm from Ipswich, but I know what you mean. :sad:

Seriously, us train crew get just as frustrated when we ask if there are any rail squad around and are told they finished work two hours ago and just keep an eye on the offenders and let control know where they get off but if we try to do anything ourselves we are open for all kinds of charges ourselves and are on our own if we are. In the situation such as in the news item where person's safety is at risk I would be using my discretion and refusing to move the train until police arrive no matter how long it takes.

Samurai_Chris

Good girl!

Seriously, us train crew get just as frustrated when we ask if there are any rail squad around and are told they finished work two hours ago and just keep an eye on the offenders and let control know where they get off but if we try to do anything ourselves we are open for all kinds of charges ourselves and are on our own if we are. In the situation such as in the news item where person's safety is at risk I would be using my discretion and refusing to move the train until police arrive no matter how long it takes.

Mate, no offense to you...

Although born in Brisbane. By the time my train riding days started, I was in my mid teens, and I was already living in Ipswich.. Even back then, 20 years. It was scary. But when I read the news these days, I guess I was lucky... I wouldn't mind if we went back to a Joh style Police Force even if they were corrupt. At least kids knew who the cops were and got a kick in the ass for their troubles...

Samurai_Chris

Good girl!

Although born in Brisbane. By the time my train riding days alone or with friends started, I was in my early to mid teens, and I was already living in Ipswich.. Even back then, 20 years. It was scary. But when I read the news these days, I guess I was lucky... I wouldn't mind if we went back to a Joh style Police Force even if they were corrupt. At least kids knew who the cops were and got a kick in the ass for their troubles...

Martijn Meerts

There are few people who stand up to anyone, which in many countries is probably the best option. Reading the newspaper in the Netherlands, there's stories about people getting stabbed for no apparent reason, old ladies getting conned and robbed in their own home, animals being kicked to death just for the hell of it, etc. etc. etc.

And of course, with all this human rights stuff, the offenders often get more help than victims. For example, if you catch a burglar in your home in the Netherlands, and you kick his ass, all of a sudden he's the victim and you're the offender ... Where's the logic in that?

Good girl!

Although born in Brisbane. By the time my train riding days started, I was in my mid teens, and I was already living in Ipswich.. Even back then, 20 years. It was scary. But when I read the news these days, I guess I was lucky... I wouldn't mind if we went back to a Joh style Police Force even if they were corrupt. At least kids knew who the cops were and got a kick in the ass for their troubles...

No offense taken, if you're ever back in two head city drop into the railway museum and look us up at the model railway club, we'll make sure you get some good old Ipswich hospitality. :grin Get the knuckle dusters out guys. :grin I've lived here all my life, that's 50 years now!, I think the down hill slide started when the coal mines, woolen mills and railway workshops closed or moved out taking employment with them, then Cribb and Foote, the major department store in town mysteriously burned down to be replaced by a mall that's now deserted itself like the rest of downtown after a new shopping centre opened across the river, even McDonalds recently moved to the edge of town. I don't think Ipswich is unique though, I've seen similar size towns around the world including in Japan that look like they could tell the same story.

CaptOblivious

I think the down hill slide started when the coal mines, woolen mills and railway workshops closed or moved out taking employment with them, then Cribb and Foote, the major department store in town mysteriously burned down to be replaced by a mall that's now deserted itself like the rest of downtown after a new shopping centre opened across the river, even McDonalds recently moved to the edge of town. I don't think Ipswich is unique though, I've seen similar size towns around the world including in Japan that look like they could tell the same story.

And even that new shopping center is a clean and brightly lit ghost town as far I can tell. No offense to either of you, but my brief visit to Ipswitch last summer was kind of shocking, having never seen a place nearly so empty before. (But the Worskhop Museum was great! And I really love Brisbane!)

Seriously, though, compared to St. Louis, Amy and I felt quite safe on the Ipswitch line. Ages better than the Metro in St Louis (which we ride quite a lot). There's been a recent spate of large crowds of rowdy teens assualting, beating, and robbing people and families at a couple of larger stations on the line (and not stations in the sketchy neighborhoods, either). Easy to do at night, when ridership is low (no witnesses), the interval between trains might be as much as half an hour, and there's no security personel on the platform.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475741/

I think the down hill slide started when the coal mines, woolen mills and railway workshops closed or moved out taking employment with them, then Cribb and Foote, the major department store in town mysteriously burned down to be replaced by a mall that's now deserted itself like the rest of downtown after a new shopping centre opened across the river, even McDonalds recently moved to the edge of town. I don't think Ipswich is unique though, I've seen similar size towns around the world including in Japan that look like they could tell the same story.

And even that new shopping center is a clean and brightly lit ghost town as far I can tell. No offense to either of you, but my brief visit to Ipswitch last summer was kind of shocking, having never seen a place nearly so empty before. (But the Worskhop Museum was great! And I really love Brisbane!)

Seriously, though, compared to St. Louis, Amy and I felt quite safe on the Ipswitch line. Ages better than the Metro in St Louis (which we ride quite a lot). There's been a recent spate of large crowds of rowdy teens assualting, beating, and robbing people and families at a couple of larger stations on the line (and not stations in the sketchy neighborhoods, either). Easy to do at night, when ridership is low (no witnesses), the interval between trains might be as much as half an hour, and there's no security personel on the platform.

Unfortunately apart from during school vacations the museum is often as deserted as the town, probably a bit far off the normal tourist trail.

You get a different picture over time if you're regularly on the trains late Friday and Saturday nights, we have a couple of stations where a security guard with a dog is on duty day and night but generally though things aren't bad here, apart from Japan we're probably one of the safer places around. Don't let us put anyone off coming here.

Samurai_Chris

Unfortunately apart from during school vacations the museum is often as deserted as the town, probably a bit far off the normal tourist trail.

You get a different picture over time if you're regularly on the trains late Friday and Saturday nights, we have a couple of stations where a security guard with a dog is on duty day and night but generally though things aren't bad here, apart from Japan we're probably one of the safer places around. Don't let us put anyone off coming here.

So thats why I havn&t been home to Ipswich for the last 5 years!.... jokes...

Last time I went home. There was no new Shopping Center. No new Bridge. No new overpass at Yamanto ect ect... No new Amberley School...