Imperial train run- first time in 2 years

bikkuri bahn

And what did the Imperial Train do in these last two years it wasn't used? I understand that the Imperial saloon is cut off and the train is used as a deluxe Joyful Train when not required by the household...

Cheers NB

wonder when micro ace will get around to this train? it really is nice!

then tomytec will have to make a royal party set of figures! at least we have the bandi news vans and press teams to cover the station arrival!

cheers

jeff

And what did the Imperial Train do in these last two years it wasn't used? I understand that the Imperial saloon is cut off and the train is used as a deluxe Joyful Train when not required by the household...

It used on occasion for visiting heads of state.

I can tell ya this much, the day they release a model of it, I'm ordering it. 

Me too. Even by Japanese train standards, this one has a lot of character.

Slightly off tangent. Missed by that much today. It passed through Shinjuku Station heading south at 11:52 today. I was shooting an old 183 series and never saw it although it passed by only two platforms over. A Japanese friend showed me his shot and blew me away when he said it had been taken less than 10 minutes previously.

Oh well....

Best wishes,

Grant

Yeah, I read a little about this yesterday.  Apparently they send another train ahead of it, it's not clear to me what the purpose is; is this just ceremonial, a carry over from way back in the day when someone had to go ahead of the royal procession to check for attackers (or something?!) or is it practical, sent ahead to confirm that the track is ok?

Apparently they send another train ahead of it, it's not clear to me what the purpose is; is this just ceremonial, a carry over from way back in the day when someone had to go ahead of the royal procession to check for attackers (or something?!) or is it practical, sent ahead to confirm that the track is ok?

Yes, it's what railfans call a "tsuyuharai ressha" or in English a vanguard or lead train.  In prewar times such a train would run 10 minutes ahead of the imperial train, and no switches/turnouts could be changed once the train had passed.  Of course now, with modern train control, such a train's role is less important, but I suppose it still checks for obstructions, etc.

• Like 1

"16th October 1900. The Japanese Crown Prince went through Kobe this morning. All the people were asked, as usual, not to look at his train from above the level of the railway. For the modernised Japanese this appears to be rather absurd, for anyone might do quite unintentionally and, not knowing how offensive an act he was committing, be set upon by the mob and beaten to death." From "The Japan Diaries of Richard Gordon Smith" - an upper class Englishman who lived in Japan at the end of the 19th Century. Does this still happen in Japan today - better make sure I do not try to photograph the Imperial train from a bridge next week.

This is a very interesting book - worth buying if you find a copy in an old bookshop - as it includes a lot of train references and really gives you a good idea of old Japan pre-WW1. He goes to Japan as a classic Victorian gent and ends up as living like a Japanese down to getting tattoed in Ueno, living in a paper walled house in Kobe and adopting the local way of life - even ending up getting an award of "The Order of the Rising Sun (4th Class)" from the Emperor for his valuable services. One of my heros.

Yakumo,

thanks for the reference, was able to get it on abebooks for $1 (but $2.75 to ship!). look forward to reading it! sounds like an interesting perspective.

cheers

jeff

Hope you like it Jeff as much as I did. Having dropped a few heavy hints - like leaving post-its with Amazon references - I hope to be getting another book of his on Japanese legends for my birthday - having spotted my better half tapping away on her laptop and having a brief conversation about what would I want for my birthday apart from half of the contents of the Kato catalogue which it appears I am not going to get.

I am currently in Japan in Iida in Nagano province - a somewhat quiet town where I find myself having the odd "what would Richard Gordon Smith do?" moment - probably set the dogs on them and look for the nearest train.  :grin