Model train database

Martijn Meerts

Not finished yet no. It's quite a bit of work, and I keep running into the problem that I don't like the design because it makes no sense or is too cluttered :)

Definitely still working on it though, and there will also either be an iOS app or just a mobile version of the homepage. I'm also going to integrate it with the train control software I'm working on, and which will likely be finished in about 50 years :D

Martijn Meerts

I can try to cut it down to 49 years ;)

Actually, I really should just use a basic design for the database and get the functionality working. I can always adjust the design afterwards. I just don't like working with temporary designs that much ..

Martijn Meerts

So... Since originally posting this thread, I've been going back to the project several times. Each time I ended up losing motivation due to the design, or the general quality of the code etc.

Some time ago, I picked it up and started from scratch again. This time I decided to first work on the database design, and build an API to get started. Partially to test some frameworks and libraries that we started using at work, and partially because I'd also get more experience working with these packages from all the code I write for work. For the front end (the part visible to the users) I wasn't sure what to do yet. I tried a couple of frameworks, but it never really worked out. Some things just didn't feel logical to me. Ended up picking a somewhat older framework that never gained a lot of popularity, but I really like its structure.

Anyway, I've been working on it again. Picked up a really clean and minimal basic design to work with rather than come up with something myself. A lot of the features required to add trains to the main database, as well as adding trains to your personal collection are implemented. Still needs quite a bit of work, but I hope to have a testable version sometime in the next 2 months or so.

• Like 6
Martijn Meerts

I intend to keep up the work, not sure if it's good work or not though 😉

Not had much progress the past couple of weeks due to the heatwave (concentration issues) and work, but I have made some progress on handling images and adding custom data to items in collections. I also came across an issue that if you had multiple copies of a single item in your collection, only 1 of them would be visible, even if all of them were added to the database.

Anyway, some early screens, still using a non-modified UI:

locowerks_01_trains.thumb.png.d3167182af4518b817d9f4ff02b2ad21.png

(Short) list of trains with some temp data. Right now there's only a list view, but eventually I also want to add a more gallery type view with more focus on the image.

locowerks_04_profile_collections.thumb.png.49f183d22d9b42f4d2c9f81e9a5a0a85.png

Your own personal profile page showing your collections.

• Like 3