Guys, need help with layout measurements, and track radius..

Samurai_Chris

Bernard thanks.. The 500 is actually from the 4 piece Tomix starter set... I plan on getting the extra four car set at some stage...

Capt: I will do that. I will check everything when I get home from work this afternoon.. I have been looking at a cleaning car, but with the price, I wanted to hold off until I actually started to get somewhere with the layout first. But definitely have looked into it.. I have a Micro-Ace 817 on order so that will be my next month set of goodies to pay for...

Ken: Again, good advice.. It's all a learning curve at the moment!

Chris

Ok, been playing around with some more ideas with layouts, and so decided to share something I have come up with..

The grey area is the Shinkansen track That will be raised. And the red will be the local network at ground level..

I will be starting out on the tunnel setup at some stage over the weekend..

009.jpg

Layouts are frigging impossible to move.

You might try figuring that the board is a write-off, and building small scenery modules that sit on top of it in between that would be easy to box up and move. You already know the track is portable - just unsnap and go. JRM does this to an extent with their club layout.

Yeah, I have already decided to build it in section that will be removable.. The only structures built will be the tunnel mountain sections that will also be removable.. The rest of the track for now will just be snapped together...

If and when the time comes that we decide to stay in Japan for good, or head back to Australia. Then I will build my layout to the way I truely want it...

I can't make out how the shinkansen tracks are supposed to mate up: THey are at rather different angles to each other...

I can't make out how the shinkansen tracks are supposed to mate up: THey are at rather different angles to each other...

It's a ramp - they're gonna jump to their deaths :)

• Like 1
Samurai_Chris

Ok gents.. Still in the design phase, and the more I look at, the more I want to change it..

I have looked at some others projects and although I wanted to keep mine relatively simple, but I have realized that if I want to run more than 2 or 3 Shinkansens on the Shinkansen line. And some extra sets on the local line, I may need a station section to sit the idle trains...

I have scanned a picture. Cant see the whole thing. But everything mates up, but I have added the station section on the left hand side. This section will be fully opne due to ease of access, but will be behind a hill/yama...

Please look at the red circle on the blue Shinkansen line.. I need to get two sets of lines to cross over and put them into the station area.. I also need help with the local line also...

trackchanger.jpg

Well, to sit trains you can either have a station or an (hidden) yard. For the Shinkansen station I'll recommend the classic two way through + two siddings design which is so classical on Shinkansen line.

Samurai_Chris

Well, to sit trains you can either have a station or an (hidden) yard. For the Shinkansen station I'll recommend the classic two way through + two siddings design which is so classical on Shinkansen line.

Cheers.. I want to keep to Tomix, so do you have any part numbers that I could look at?

Chris

CaptOblivious

You want a pair of left-hand 541mm radius turnouts (the standard Tomix turnout), a left-handed 30-degree cross over, a 99m straight and two 18mm straights to make the attached configuration. Someone else might be able to suggest something more clever, though.

turnouts.gif

You want a pair of left-hand 541mm radius turnouts (the standard Tomix turnout), a left-handed 30-degree cross over, a 99m straight and two 18mm straights to make the attached configuration. Someone else might be able to suggest something more clever, though.

I really wish Kato made a "small" 15 degree crossing so you could do this with Unitrack with 33mm spacing and #4 switches (right now it can only be done with #6 switches and 49.5mm spacing).

Samurai_Chris

Captain. Thank you for your help...

That might just do the trick! I am actually considering having the outside line break off, and leave the inside rail to continue on, with a cross over on the track at some point to put the inside train on to the outside track.. I only decided to build a section to host idle sitting trains when I am not running them on the track. So the layout doesn't need to be too fancy!

Cheers, Chris

Samurai_Chris

Ok, I just cleared out the room that I will build my layout in, and I have taken advice from many people regarding how to do it..

Although it wont be full authentic, I have decided to build it in section with removable mountains/tunnels ect.. I will find a way to hide seams, but I want it movable.. I am also building it on the floor, and so will be easier to put on legs at a later date.. I will start with a wooden base with cork on top...

Now, I have posted many drawings, and after moving the layout to the part of the room I want to put it. My Shinksen line fits easily, but my Local layout will need to be redesigned, as will my break off point to host my idle trains.. Not a problem, but will need some more thinking...

Captain, I will go with your idea for both my Shinkansen and Local lines for the break off, but it will now have to come down another 90* instead of at the end of the back strait.. I am happy to have that corner changed in order to accept the change and fix the tighter radius to help the Shinken take that corner.. I just worry how it will effect the other end of that main strait?

Chris

Mudkip Orange

FIFTEEN!

I know that's what you meant, since it's in the track plan - but yeah, in case anyone's actually building a parts list off this thread, you want the LH 15-degree crossover.

The 30 only comes in one-size-fits-all anyway (72.5mm on all legs)

• Like 1
Samurai_Chris

FIFTEEN!

I know that's what you meant, since it's in the track plan - but yeah, in case anyone's actually building a parts list off this thread, you want the LH 15-degree crossover.

The 30 only comes in one-size-fits-all anyway (72.5mm on all legs)

Noted.....

Samurai_Chris

Ok, now with the move to Australia a go.. I just went and picked up some Tomix Fine Track Viaduct cornered sections 317 354? 45 (sorry, left the box in the car) And heeded your warnings starting with Martin about the curve radius..

Now that I will have more room to play with, I would like to go with something similar, but feel that I may just end up with an oval track if the idea becomes too big for comfort..... Any suggestions?