JNS Facebook page

ok i guess then the privacy type is for the forum of: Closed: Limited public content. members can see all content. then there is a request membership button at the top... no links for liking the fb group, etc. think we would want folks to link to their fb accounts with likes easily.

also we may want to put train in the title as we dont come up in japan trains search just japan rail.

just thinking we were talking about the fb page mainly being for marketing so making things as open and inviting as possible will probably get us more eyeballs, likes and links.

we probably should give a better description/purpose as well.

cheers

jeff

hmm couldn't find page i did find some japanese girsl page who knows english and job occupation shows jr rail conductor ..... perhaps we should invite ahah

Not wanting to poo-poo the FB idea but it isn't something I would use.  My wife set up a FB page for me and it is out of control.  I get links to so many peoples photos, messages, games and other junk.  I now only use it 5 minutes per fortnight.  I'm sure there are others here who would benefit though, for me, the structure and organisation of this forum suits best.

Cheers

The_Ghan

ok i guess then the privacy type is for the forum of: Closed: Limited public content. members can see all content. then there is a request membership button at the top... no links for liking the fb group, etc. think we would want folks to link to their fb accounts with likes easily.

also we may want to put train in the title as we dont come up in japan trains search just japan rail.

just thinking we were talking about the fb page mainly being for marketing so making things as open and inviting as possible will probably get us more eyeballs, likes and links.

we probably should give a better description/purpose as well.

cheers

jeff

What makes it more complicated is FB recently changed the way groups are handled. I do not like the new group format, which went from being forum derriere to more of a Yahoo group format.

Actually had 2 new members this week, I have been posting some random JNSwiki links on there though not much else has been put up.  I think this forum is too good  :grin

It costs nothing to run it and it has a link to here on it so will see how it goes

while im not a facebooker at all, i do see it good to have some sort of a presence there to catch the odd person that might be a big time facebooker but perhaps interested in japanese trains, then use the face book to bring them to the site. to this end i figured doing the open group and really not putting up a lot of content on the fb page. we could just slowly add a few pictures and such to pique interest some (ie put the coolest looking trains up there) and provide maybe once a week a snipet of some interesting thread on the forum.

i think the trick is to keep the fb page as open as possible and dont make it look like some active fb group, but as a nice flashing add for the forum on fb and drive folks over to the forum for all the meat.

this is tricky as you need to only provide so much on the fb page and then you do need to keep adding small announcements there once and a while to keep it looking fresh and some one who is more of an avid facebooker does need to be willing to reply to comments and act as a shill to bring interested looking newcomers over to the forum. what might work best is if we had 3 or 4 avid facebooker forum members that would be willing to do some low level of chatter on the fb page and bring in some pictures and references to forum threads to help show interested folks how active the forum is and such a nice place. the most successful fb attempts by clients have been ones that have been run by very avid facebookers, but even then very few have had much to show as far as real tangible results when the are successful in getting a lot of fb eyeballs.

fb is a horrid interface for us to really do any discussion or real content presentation on, really is designed for basically wild party conversation mode... but it has a lot of eyeballs and perhaps we could capture some...

one of the signups this week was me with my fb alter ego account that i use to manage some fb stuff for clients...

cheers

jeff

I am guessing you are not the young lady that has just joined then Jeff  :grin

Yes boys, we appear to have a lady member on the facebook page, now don't all rush, form an orderly queue  :cheesy :cheesy

Jeff feel free to add what you like to the page

maybe it's locked up so the wife can't see unknown purchases :p

anyway Lawrence i signed up emailed the email to ya

Well, Facebook is worth over 50b dollars now, and it's IPO is expected to smash Google's when it is made sometime this summer. So, people can say what they will about it, it's on track to smash Amazon this year, and its guns are clearly on Google who look themselves to be under investigation by the SEC for violation of US anti-trust laws.

I am guessing you are not the young lady that has just joined then Jeff  :grin

Yes boys, we appear to have a lady member on the facebook page, now don't all rush, form an orderly queue  :cheesy :cheesy

Jeff feel free to add what you like to the page

LOL! how do you know my fb alter ego is not a girl!?

well maybe a girl on fb will get more on the fb membership from the forum!

ill see if i can work on some text for the page and ideas of what i we might use for the photo album. perhaps grant might volunteer a few photos for the fb gallery. i do think that fb claims right to use any uploaded photos though (just like youtube does) so that may be a consideration to take into count for anyone volunteering some train shots to liven the page up some.

any reason the site is in the have to have approved membership to join instead of just open joining?

cheers

jeff

Well, Facebook is worth over 50b dollars now, and it's IPO is expected to smash Google's when it is made sometime this summer. So, people can say what they will about it, it's on track to smash Amazon this year, and its guns are clearly on Google who look themselves to be under investigation by the SEC for violation of US anti-trust laws.

yeah but i dont think fb has the base to do much of anything worthwile with all that $$. with all the brains google has they tend to dont go a class job of many things they play with, but they have been smart enough to make money on their position and have good future strategies. fb is much more in the fad department and may end up being passe in a few years and could sink their whole boat and have to just start buying things with all their cash to find something to regroup around.

while they have tapped into something very humanly basic, its got some bad aspects of the human spirit mixed in and that might not always work out, but greed always does...

like you say, like it or not, its the 8000lb gorilla in the corner.

cheers

jeff

ha, somehow fb finally caught my nom de plume of buckaroo bonzai on fb finally and suspended my account! the account was created only to manage some odd little accounts may just walk away now as really no use for fb now...

wonder if it was signing up for the jns group as i have not done a specific join like that for a group that requires submission to join... perhaps it was on one of the buckaroo fans that kept wanting to friend me!

oh well it was an experiment to see if they would ever catch it.

cheers

jeff

lol my freind had his name as screaminseamendemon for a while then fb sent him a polite email warning to change it.

he did it also to see how long it would last turns out 4 months

ive been on for like 4 years now as buckaroo banzai.

at first i was not linked to anyone it was just to manage some clients fb groups.

it was also on a burner email account so i could just ditch the whole thing if it started spam, etc. then they asked for a second email address for security reasons so i in a stupid late night move sent them one of my main email addresses for this. well they used that email to publish to all members to search and everyone that i knew that was on fb started friending me... ahhh outed!

luckily i no longer manage the clients fb pages when we found fb fans that would do that work...

oh well no loss and good to be rid of fb now!

cheers

jeff

I have now made the facebook page an 'open' one, so there is no need to apply to join now.  If it does get picked up by one of these spammer worms I will close it down again.

I trust this meets with approval

Lawrence,

cool, lets see if that draws more eyeballs in. the few clients that were doing fb stuff on a small scale have hot had issues with spammers or even bad wall posts much at all. a couple of yahoo kids a couple of years ago, but they were reported, dealt with and posts removed. it will be interesting with the growth of fb if they can keep policing it though, its probably the #1 target out there for those elements that want to just be nasty or try and grab info or eyeballs for not good purposes...

ill think if i can come up with some more content for the page. i am, though, debating not getting back into fb after getting tossed! nice to be free of it. if i do go back this time my cover will be deep and not blown!

anyone want to donate a few interesting pictures of japanese trains to get something up there for visuals? ill email you a few lawrence to get things started, they are not wonderful and maybe will throw the gauntlet down to others to best them!

cheers

jeff

you mean the facebook page is closed? why? surely cant hurt to have the simple page up there with the basic info about the list and the link.

jeff

I got an email a few days ago saying that it was closed becasue the owner does not have time for it anymore, and is focusing his attention on another forum in the UK)

hmm i guess that was lawrence.

we should at least open one up for the little description a few photos and a link to the forum. cant hurt. just turn off the comments so we dont get wall posts we would need to deal with.

i would volunteer to do this but i got booted off facebook after like 4 or 5 years for using Buckaroo Bonzai as my name... (it was the early days and i just did not want to give them all the personal info and just needed to manage some backend content for some clients). actually nice to be off it now! i got outed a while back --when they ask you for a second security email address beware they will publish it! -- and got creamed with crap. i think i was actually turned in by some high school classmates (not even friends of mine ever) who kept bombarding with causes which i would not join.

cheers

jeff