Kato's Steam Loco scale

angusmclean

I notice that Hobby Search's notes on the future release of Kato's D51.498 states a scale of 1:150.  I was under the impression that Kato's steam locos were at a scale of 1:140, discovered after buying a few Microace locos and wondering why they looked a little different, because they were smaller, and also by comparing plan drawings with actual model measurements.  Have Kato changed their scaling now, or is the quoted HS scale a 'generalisation' ?

Angus

The scale of Japanese N gauge steam locos is a source of confusion. Whilst it is true that the majority of Kato's steam locos are 1/140 their C11 is nearer 1/130 while their 9600 is 1/144. Their new C62 is 1/150 as is the recent Tomix C57.  So Kato have decided to re vamp their D51 and make a new 1/150 version.

The Micro Ace steam locos are also a hotch potch and while their 9600 and D52/D62 are close to 1/150 their D50/D60 is way out. Micro Ace also suffer from being too tall in certain cases such as C58 C56 8620.

Sadly Micro Ace have not offered any new 9600s for several years and there are many variants still to go!!!!

So hopefully in time Kato will offer a new C59 as has been promised in their catalogue for many years. They may be reluctant to produce an all new C55. Now a completely new.

One Japanese modeller has all ready converted the new Tomix C57 into a C55!

I thought I'd revive this old topic because I'm interested to know more about the actual scale of locomotives and rolling stock (particularly Kato).  The matter was highlighted when I received my last HS order containing Kato C11 and the newer version Kato D51 (standard).  Even though both locos look great, the difference in scale is quite noticeable.  The detail and running quality of the D51 is the best I've ever experienced from any locomotive, it’s simply brilliant! But here's the thing, I actually prefer the larger scale of the older models including my trusty Kato C57 that I've owned since the late 80s.  The larger models look more prototypical in my view because they replicate the visual effect of larger locomotives sitting on narrow 3'6" track.  I realise true scale for 3'6" narrow gauge on 9mm track is closer to 1:117 but the larger older models were at least closer to the prototype.  So does anyone know why Kato is trying to make their models smaller?  And while I'm on the topic, does anyone know what the actual scale is of Kato Japanese rolling stock such as freight cars and carriages? 

While I didn't have any idea about these scale differences, I know that the official Japanese N scale is 1:150 with 9mm gauge. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_scale#Japanese_N_scale)

While 1:150 with 9mm gauge actually still isn't correct for 1067mm gauge in prototype (Z gauge with 1:160 would probably be more close I think), it is used for practically all Japanese N gauge/scale models so far I know.

Now that I read that some steam locos aren't I still don't think that there are many other models that are not in 1:150, except for Shinkansen (1:160).

I think there's one simple reason as why Kato is making the new models smaller: because they want them to be in the correct scale as the rest of their product range.

Martijn Meerts

Most regular trains/loco's are 1:150, shinkansen are usually 1:160, some of the older Kato (and possible other brands) like the C11 can be slightly bigger.

While I didn't have any idea about these scale differences, I know that the official Japanese N scale is 1:150 with 9mm gauge. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_scale#Japanese_N_scale)

While 1:150 with 9mm gauge actually still isn't correct for 1067mm gauge in prototype (Z gauge with 1:160 would probably be more close I think), it is used for practically all Japanese N gauge/scale models so far I know.

Now that I read that some steam locos aren't I still don't think that there are many other models that are not in 1:150, except for Shinkansen (1:160).

I think there's one simple reason as why Kato is making the new models smaller: because they want them to be in the correct scale as the rest of their product range.

Maybe also to align with MicroAces's extensive fleet which was always 1:150 and Kato's, until the last three new  1:150 issues (not reruns), were around 1:140.  Mixing the two scales in a yard setup makes for some queer-looking scenes.

Angus

Hi,

The majority of Micro Ace N Gauge steam locos are 1/140 which matches the original Kato with the exception of the Kato C11 which is to a different scale 1/130?

Micro Ace have not remodelled any of their production to match the new Kato/Tomix releases.