DCC control of Tomix points (turnouts)

The_Ghan

Hi Folks,

I was wondering what decoders can be used to control Tomix points.  I have a Digitrax Super Chief in the mail and have 1 x DS64 coming to test with my Peco track (in my subway), but I'm running Tomix track above ground.  Can I use the DS51K1 or DS44?

Cheers

DS51K1 looks correct, as Kato and Unitrack use the same control method (2 wires, reverse polarity to change direction.)

DO NOT use DS44 as Tortoise machines don't mind if they have perpetual voltage (even after movement) but Kato/Tomix turnouts heat up and melt VERY quickly if you leave power on for too long. Then again, I don't know if the DS44 applies voltage perpetually or in bursts.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  How about NCE Switch-Kat?  I like the look of that decoder ... just trying to work out if it is fully compatible with a Digitrax system.  Would be nice to have manual control and indicator lights.

Cheers

Just use the Digitrax DS64. The look of a decoder is only secondary. To use the full capability of you Digitrax system you should stick with Loconet capable decoders

Loconet is like the LAN of your model RR. It is needed to connect your throttles, stationary decoder, occupancy detectors , USB interface etc. There are other competing system but with the super chief you made your choice.

IMHO Loconet is a well thought system and very capable there are also many 3rd party manufacturers and it works well even on the largest layouts..

CaptOblivious

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  How about NCE Switch-Kat?  I like the look of that decoder ... just trying to work out if it is fully compatible with a Digitrax system.  Would be nice to have manual control and indicator lights.

Cheers

It should be fine; Basically, anything designed to work with Kato turnouts should work with Tomix turnouts. The only difference is that the Tomix point motors have a lower resistance than the Kato ones, and hence draw more current—but it shouldn't be a significant difference.

Thanks Railzilla and CaptainObvious.  DS64 it is or now.  As I mentioned in a separate thread, I'm not sure about the reporting features of the decoder.  Ultimately I want a PC controlling this stuff.  I presume the decoder will report back via LocoNet.  Is that correct?

However, I would also like to make a traditional display board with LED indicators as a project in the future.  What are my options here?  With my Peco points, I can at least add an accessory switch to do this ... what can I do about Tomix points though?

Finally, I just don't get the routing features at all.  I downloaded the manual and read through it ... maybe it is something I need to play with to understand.

Cheers

Ultimately I want a PC controlling this stuff.  I presume the decoder will report back via LocoNet.  Is that correct?

If you use an Loconet enabled decoder Like the Digitrax DS64 then yes. A simple DCC decoder has only a one way communication.

However, I would also like to make a traditional display board with LED indicators as a project in the future.  What are my options here?  With my Peco points, I can at least add an accessory switch to do this ... what can I do about Tomix points though?

wit the Peco point you can feed back the actual position of the switch to the decoder and thus the loconet and your PC program. So you will detect if the turnout hasn't moved at all or even you will detect when a turnout has been operated manually. Thats what the real railways do. Unfortunately Kato and Tomix switches do not have a feedback switch built in.

There we have at least two possible workarounds:

1: Use power routing and detect the power and feed the information back. That will use an optocoupler a quite cheap IC

2: Disable power routing and rewire the built in switch in the turnout as a feedback switch.

To built a panel there are several Loconet I/O modules on the market. you even could use a DS64 to dive your panel indicators. Although thats not very cost effective.

Finally, I just don't get the routing features at all.  I downloaded the manual and read through it ... maybe it is something I need to play with to understand.

If you want to use a PC to control the routes you will not need that feature. Basically you push one button and several turnouts or other function will switch. You don't need to understand it. Its just a freebie feature.

Thanks Railzilla.

It's becoming clear to me that to get the best from my Digitrax system I need to stick to LocoNet compatible equipment.  Can you tell me who else manufactures LocoNet compatible DCC gear?

Cheers.

Uhlenbrock seems to be the main other vendor of LocoNet compatible devices.  I'm not familiar with their products myself. Digitrax has a page of Loconet-compatible vendors they have certified:

http://www.digitrax.com/faqloconetq.php

The only one I have experience with is the RR-CirKits LocoBuffer (computer to LocoNet interface).  I had the original serial one, and now the USB version, and both just worked.

There are many suppliers. Uhlenbrock mainly targets the European market. Like Digitrax they have basically everything you need.

Igf oyu have a Loconet-PC interface you can use decoder Pro/JRMI to contrl your layout from your PC. You also can set all parameters for your Loco  and accessory Decoders which is far more convenient than using you Throttle and CVs. JTRMI works very good with my Loconet equipment.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

I have two SRC16 route controlers from team digital http://www.teamdigital1.com. Maybe interesting if you build a panel.

You need to Google a bit to find more manufacturers, there are also some DIY projects. for Loconet.

I order most of the DCC stuff at http://tonystrains.com/. Even they send it from USA to Switzerland it is much cheaper than buying stuff locally. They have a huge choice of DCC articles. Many dealers only have the basic components but Tony has most of the things or he can get it for you. The list even smaller companies like teamdigital or RRcirkits. So you can save some cash on postage.  Also they know what they sell, so in any doubt you can ask them if your components match together, or let them make a suggestion.

Regards