Simple but so important electrical question

Tecchan

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a lot of trains during my trip in Japan and I'm now back at home in Switzerland.

4 train sets (Kato Relay Tsubame, Kato E231 Yamanote, Tomix Shinkansen 0 & 300 series) and 2 starter sets (an EX set including the Series 0 and an DX (F) both including a throttle).

My question is quite simple but not clear for me and really important: can I plug my transformers (japanese 110V) directly on the plug at home (220V) ?

I looked on them, as I could see it looks OK. It's written "I/P: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.30A". So I suppose the 220V will do just fine...

But as I sucked at physics at school and sucked even more when we worked on electricity, I'd rather ask...

So, do I have to buy a 220V to 110V transformer of can I plug directly my stuff on the wall (using a plug adapter of course)?

Thanks in advance!!

Kumo

By the sounds of it, yes you can.

But I'd recommend taking a photo of the label just so we can confirm without freaking that you'll blow something up.

I know my old Kato Powerpacks did not want any more than 110v.

I know that the Japanese power bricks can work in North America, it's just without an FTC sticker you'd want to unplug it when not in use (it may or may not overheat on an American outlet, and if your house burns down they usually won't have a problem tracing the source and invalidating your home insurance). However I didn't think you could use them directly in Europe/down under without a converter. Maybe someone who actually lives there can correct me.

Hello Kumo,

I have 3 x Tomix 5506 N-1001-CL power supplies running in Australia.  The supplied transformer automatically switches between 110v and 220-240v.  I haven't had any trouble testing my Kato and Tomix trains.  I say testing because I have a Digitrax Super Chief system in the post from the US ATM. I was in Switzerland in June ... what a great place to live ... my wife's hairdryer worked perfectly in Switzerland.

By deduction therefore, I summarise as follows: Japanese train controller works in Australia.  Australian hairdryer works in Switzerland.  Therefore, Japanese train controller should work in Switzerland.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

CaptOblivious

Steven's right: we need to see the label to be certain, but if you've transcribed it correctly (and it seems you have) there is absolutely no difficulty in just plugging it directly to your mains! Easy peasy.

Thanks for your answer.

Here is a picture of the transformer.

photohi.jpg

I guess it's ok, but I prefer asking than see my Shinkansen melt... ;-)

PS: same problem with the camera I bought:

photoyb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Plug them both in, you're good to go!

Nice to see (even if it is a mere matter of economic convenience) the Japanese. Train manufacturers turn to universal transformers.