Japan Bus Pass - revolutionizing budget travel in Japan

Guest ___

Japan Bus Pass - revolutionizing budget travel in Japan

The Japan Bus Pass is a fantastic new offer for long distance travel in Japan. The pass costs only 8,000 yen for three (consecutive or non-consecutive) days or 10,000 yen for five days of bus travel on the nationwide network of Willer Express, a leading discount bus operator. With the pass it is, for example, possible to travel by overnight bus from Tokyo to Hiroshima, then to Kyoto and back to Tokyo for only 8,000 yen, a trip which would cost 40,000 yen by regular train tickets or at least 28,300 yen by Japan Rail Pass! http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2369.html

Being stuck on a long-distance bus- a fate (almost) worse than hell.  But I suppose for the cash-strapped, the only choice.  Alot of these services have helped to deliver the coup de grace to the few (non-luxury) blue trains trains left over the past decade.

Certainly the most unconfortable ride I ever had in Japan. Not the best thing to use when you're backpaking around Japan. It saves cash but then you have to find a way to rest.

I wouldn't be at all surprised with the state of the economy as it is that this could possibly take a bite out of the JR PAss, especially to the growing number of Chinese and Korean tourists.

I wouldn't be at all surprised with the state of the economy as it is that this could possibly take a bite out of the JR PAss, especially to the growing number of Chinese and Korean tourists.

Possibly. But I think it will do more to concurrence the JR Passes that you can buy inside Japan (that are overly expensive compared to the one tourist can buy outside Japan). This pass could be a good thing for cash strapped japanese that wants to visit their over-stretched country. Maybe this will force JRs to offer a bus only pass. They have the network to make that kind of offer very interesting. I'm not sure about the extent of Willer Express coverage.

As for foreigners/toursits. I think bus passes like these could help some to extend their travel. One of the interest of traveling is actualy to see the land you're going through, not just cities.