"SUV" on rails basically

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Details about the selection process for paired DMUs to be used for the proposed SMART rail line in Northern California, a 70(!) mile long commute service.

SMART spelled out in a detailed request for proposals what it wants, such as a top speed of 79 mph, the exterior noise level and passenger comfort.

The train specifications call for seating for about 78 passengers per car, storage for 10 to 12 bicycles, overhead storage, permanent and folding work tables, reading lights, Wi-Fi and a bathroom in one car of the married pair and a snack bar in the other.

Hey, why don't they throw in a hot tub and a pool table, to help make that 70 mile commute a little easier?  Oh, yeah, don't forget the average of 2.5 cupholders per passenger :cheesy

Source:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100825/NEWS/100829639/1033?p=1&tc=pg

BB, nothing new here, it's just the way that the reporter put it in print. There were diesel trains with similar specs already back in the 1930's...

Cheers NB

Well, it is a bit over-equipped for commuter service.  My local one isn't much more than bench seats, a couple per car having a fixed table. No reading lights, no storage on the newer ones as I recall (it's been a while since I rode one) and room for bicycles only off-peak if there are no wheelchair-bound riders. They have started adding wifi to some of the cars recently.

Of course 70 miles is a very long commute, so it makes sense to have more amenities.  It's more like a regional inter-city passenger train than a commuter train.  Japan's suburban commuter trains have more amenites and fewer total passengers per car than their close-in commuter trains as well. I think if I were writing the requirements for such a commuter service (not that I would) I'd come up with a similar want list given that situation.

And as for cupholders: we don't need more than one per rider.  It just has to hold that 1-liter (32 oz) McTubbo shake.  :grin

Lest you think I'm kidding, while I haven't yet seen a cupholder on a train, recently-built movie theaters come equipped with them (the better to sell you overpriced colored sugar-water) and they're sized for ultra-large drinks.  You could put your arm through some of them.  It's only a matter of time before someone decides that station concessions will make more money, and can thus be charged more rent, if commuters can easily take their morning coffee with them in a convenient half-gallon size.

I kinda sorta get the harping on cupholders when it comes to cars.

No friggin way does that make sense for trains. You're going to sit in the same seat for an hour and a half - why not have a soda and a sandwich? Why not have power outlets and wi-fi? Or a nice secluded compartment in which to relieve oneself?

That's civilization.

N4ever - That is an interesting video. I don't understand the point of them doing it to their SUV thought, they could have done some serious damage to it.

More news.  Apparently authorities will visit Japan and check out JR Tokai's kiha 85 on the Takayama Line, which will be what this design will be inspired by.

SMART is planning to send some board members and staff to Japan, where Sumitomo runs a very similar train between Nagoya and Takayama. The trip will take place before the board makes a final decision Nov. 10.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20101013/ARTICLES/101019807/1350?Title=SMART-finalizing-deal-on-rail-cars-

Mudkip Orange

So if the SMART train is high platform and all the existing GO infrastructure is low platforms, are we looking at dual-level boarding? Or is it just so express that the stations it'll pass through don't need to be revamped?

So if the SMART train is high platform and all the existing GO infrastructure is low platforms, are we looking at dual-level boarding? Or is it just so express that the stations it'll pass through don't need to be revamped?

I understand this will be a premium fare service without intermediate stops so it could be high platform. Union Station is due for renovation.

Perhaps the cars can be modified for low level boarding, though it will likely require quite a few steps.  Once again the comments section shows the ignorance common among the general public regarding rail tech.  LOL at the comment that "Japan Inc." (that word again) "seldom offers the best deal" ,w/o backing it up with facts, of course- as a matter of fact Nippon Sharyo is one of the most reliable makers out there- delivery always on time and on spec, which is seldom the case with the Euro builders (Breda anyone?, Alstom in Australia?)  Oh, you also have the Chinese shill promoting maglev, and some nonsense about consultant fees not existing in China- hah! yeah, just old-fashioned bribery, cronyism and corruption instead...

Anyway, all the whining about not being electric just is a denial of reality- the firm that bowed out of this project couldn't come up with the funds (electrification is expensive), and as bill937ca mentioned, its a relatively low passenger volume service, so it likely doesn't justify the high infrastructure costs of catenary.  When or if the volume of traffic reaches a saturation point for diesel ops, they can upgrade to electrification- that's how they do it here in Japan, like locally up here in Sapporo, where the Gakuentoshi Line is being gradually electrified, currently 4 to 6 car diesel multiple units are being used to serve the northern suburbs.

Mudkip Orange

You could justify electrification if it was a spur off an existing electric system, in which case you get something like the PHL airport link.

When your entire system is diesel, starting electrification with the airport line is ludicrous. Electrify the Hamilton-Oshawa line and then roll from there.

Here's another article with a few more figures.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/metrolinx-defends-decision-to-buy-diesel-trains-for-rail-link-to-pearson/article1801419/

The issue with electrification is a substation which requires an environmental assessment.  Electrification would be for the entire Georgetown GO line, not just the airport branch.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/891679--no-time-to-convert-air-rail-train-to-electric-by-2015