Can we get oversea distributors of Japanese Trains?

cteno4

I should really post a proper review of the new Tomix/TomyTec cab controller (rather then the ongoing post about getting it to run well with regular equipment), but one thing I was going to point out is that the power adapter is not a fire hazard Japan only 100V unit. Rather it's labeled as 100-120V, 50-60Hz, with FCC and UL (US) badges. As the power supply lacks any Tomy/TomyTec/Tomix branding my guess it was just cheaper to make use of a generic power adapter - this could be repeated on whatever is the next interation of the Tomix controller.

David,

thats great they went to a standard wall wart that has ul listing and full voltage spread. its so easy to do the voltage/cycle spread now in power supplies its getting easy and cheap for them to utilize one that does the full potential market range along with having the full ul listing to make consumers happy! it shows they are realizing that some of this stuff is going offshore! although i also wonder if the manufacturers of wall warts are now just doing everything this way to make a single product able to go anywhere instead of making individual products for each different market. im sure wall wart is something tomix just contracts out to supply.

cheers

jeff

Lawrence,

i know every time i hear about the UK costs for shipping/customs/duty i really appreciate having none of that here with japanese imports! i think this is one of the big reasons it will be hard to get distributors here in the us as the costs and ease for individuals to import their own in really high. I now see why the couple of uk distributors do good business as they probably can shave some of these costs down a lot with bulk importing. are there different tariff structures in the UK for importers vs personal import? i know some of the us/canada customs stuff i had to deal with the customs agent handling cost were not a heck of a lot more for one item vs a shipment with 100.

cheers

jeff

You are a lot better off than those of us in the UK, getting reasonably priced Japanes stock here is like locating hens teeth or rocking horse s**t!!  There are a couple of suppliers with hugely limited stock, then it is down to trying to pick up bits n bobs at model rail shows.  I don't think there is a shop within 250 miles of me that has Japanese stock and I only live just over 1 hour from Edinburgh :sad:

Does anyone know of a supplier in the centre of NY, my friend works in the financial centre there but is returning to the UK soon, perhaps I could get him to pick up some stock for me before he returns.