DCC control of Kato Unitrack points

Welshbloke

This is a bit new to me, but a friend is attempting to build a large N scale layout and wants to DCC it. As part of this they want to have DCC control of points. So far they've obtained one of the Hornby point decoder units and a Prodigy DCC system.

How do you control Unitrack points with a DCC accessory decoder? I realise that Kato use DC power to their point motors and DCC accessory decoders have an AC output, but can the two be coupled?

He also wants to DCC a load of Kato locos, which I'm expecting to be fun! That'll be a later project though - he's thinking in terms of a "playing trains" layout for now and then building an empire later on. I've done a few HO scale decoder installations but I've never even tried in N - getting them back together and working on DC is difficult enough!

You can use the Digitrax DS51K1 Stationary Decoder which is designed for Kato points, they sell for about US$12. I also use NCE Switchkats, a bit more expensive but they have extra outputs for indicator lights and operation by push buttons.

Martijn Meerts

Kato turnouts operate a bit differently from most other turnouts. Or at least, turnouts motors. Most standard solenoid based motors use 2 solenoids and have 3 wires. Accessory decoders are mainly designed for those type of turnouts motors. Kato however (and Tomix as well for that matter) use a single solenoid turnout motor with only 2 wires.

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/1dec02e.htm is an example of a switch decoder that can be used directly with Kato turnouts. It can control 4 turnouts and costs 38.90 euro.

Other options would be using slow motion motors like the Tortoise, or servo's. Using servo's is becoming popular fast, so accessory decoders that can handle servo's are quite cheap. I believe ESU has an accessory decoder for 4 servo's for around 27 euro (servo's not included, but most RC servo's will work). A nice feature is that you can hook up an extension module which has 4 relais that switch along with the servo's. Great for stuff like polarizing frogs.

The DS64 is essentially four DS51K1 in a box, for the same price ($60 vs 4x $15).  Except that it may be a bit more.

The DS51K1 notes don't say anything about throwing more than one point.  The DS64 manual explicitly notes that it can throw up to four Kato Unitrack points simultaneously with one output (meaning the entire crossover switch, or both ends of two passing sidings).  Of course if you only need to throw one or two, the DS51K1 is going to be cheaper.

It's possible that the DS51K1 can actually do the same (Digitrax is notorious for poor documentation of features), but they don't say that it is.

Has anyone tried CTI electronics? I used their boards for a previous OO layout for train and turnout control, they also connect to DCC. With Kato layout I have designed my own circuit boards but they function in the same way.

www.cti-electronics.com

Richard

That's a very interesting system.  Apparently they have some kind of integration with a variety of DCC systems, including Digitrax, although I didn't find much about that.

Unfortunately for me, it's dependent on their control software, which only runs on a PC (and I'm a Mac guy).

We've been using NCE Switch-Kats and have had good luck.  With the NCE DCC system you can set up routing with macros (changing multiple turn outs automatically)- it's very cool, especially for yards.  

We haven't used one on the kato double cross-over (yet), but there shouldn't be a problem.  The tech support folks at NCE have said we may need to lengthen the "on time" to something more than 40 milliseconds via CV 515.

The DS64 is essentially four DS51K1 in a box, for the same price ($60 vs 4x $15).  Except that it may be a bit more.

The DS51K1 notes don't say anything about throwing more than one point.  The DS64 manual explicitly notes that it can throw up to four Kato Unitrack points simultaneously with one output (meaning the entire crossover switch, or both ends of two passing sidings).  Of course if you only need to throw one or two, the DS51K1 is going to be cheaper.

It's possible that the DS51K1 can actually do the same (Digitrax is notorious for poor documentation of features), but they don't say that it is.

This is not strictly correct.  The DS64 has a capacitor discharge unit built in for throwing heavy motors like Peco and Hornby.  You cannot use a DS51K1 to control those motors.  However, has anyone tried the DS44 with Kato points?  I believe it is made for slow motion motors but was hoping it would have the power to do the Katos too.

Cheers.

...However, has anyone tried the DS44 with Kato points?  I believe it is made for slow motion motors but was hoping it would have the power to do the Katos too...

The DS44 spells danger to me! The tortoise machines like to have constant power and no Kato or Tomix turnout ever should! They only need very short bursts to activate and any longer can/will melt them!

Hi

I use the Digitrax DS64 stationary decoder. It works very well with Kato turnout. And it can drive multiple Turnouts with one decoder exit. This is need for the double crossover as well can be use to save decoders when two turnouts have to switch at the same time anyway. Also it has inputs which can be used to trigger turnouts. An integrated switch control can trigger multiple switches or whole rotes with one push of a button. the switches can even be connected to a different DS64 or other switch decoder. To use all features a Loconet DCC system is needed as provided by digital or Uhlenbrock.

In a Loconet System a DS64 is the best choice as it also has other Loconet functions integrated. For other DCC systems it is still a good choice at it can handle all available turnout motors.

Kato also cooperates with Digitrax. The Kato Digital system and their decoders are all made by Digitrax.

Just read up on the DS64.  I've ordered 2 of them.  I like the decoder and didn't realise that manual control was possible through the imputs.

I don't understand routing at all ... need a day on my own to work through it or some good advice on here.

I'd like to be able to get LED display of switch states ... DS64 doesn't seem to support.  On my Peco points I'll be able to add an accessory switch.  Don't know how to do this on the Tomix points though.  Any ideas?

Cheers.