DDF autos

I have bought many Tomica items from Rainbow Ten in the past, mainly for cheap Xmas pressies for children who adore them, but have never found anything close to 1:150 to use on the layout. Buying this way is affordable with one SAL payment, buying on Ebay etc for single articles is not good.  Also the listing on this site for Tomica is not easy to negotiate through the searching criteria.

Angus

I have bought many Tomica items from Rainbow Ten in the past, mainly for cheap Xmas pressies for children who adore them, but have never found anything close to 1:150 to use on the layout. Buying this way is affordable with one SAL payment, buying on Ebay etc for single articles is not good.  Also the listing on this site for Tomica is not easy to negotiate through the searching criteria.

Angus

Tomica Capsule comes in those "plastic egg" vending machines. There are a bunch on eBay as well. Also, there's an HO scale series of Tomica capsule, whereby most of their cars are die cast and are 1:87 but one particular model is of a loader and is 1:150. Looks great on my layout. I'll try and grab some pics of my Tomica capsule.

Otherwise, here's a set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/YUJIN-capsule-TOMICA-mini-collection-car-vol-16-SET-10-/220693412469?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item33625a3a75

and another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/YUJIN-capsule-TOMICA-collection-Gashapon-vol-2-10-pcs-/220686968395?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3361f7e64b

As mentioned before, just slightly bigger than 1:150. Looks ok when alone but put along side a Tomytec car or bus, then it looks very weird.

So it took a year, but my DDF order for two 100-count sets of automobiles finally arrived from Hobby Search. As has been noted there are cheaper ways to get these (which I learned of only after placing the preorder), but if anyone is interested the 100-count set is still in stock as of today.

I'd ordered two sets of these with the intent of using them as "filler' models on side streets, parking garages, and other "back of scene" places where a lack of detail wouldn't be critical, and the two sets are basically identical: three contemporary-looking models of car in six colors, except that one contained yellow cars and the other black as the sixth color. Both sets includes silver, white, gold, red, and an iridescent purple color that's a bit odd-looking, but dark enough that that's not really obvious.

The silver wheels are just painted on the non-rolling "tire" bumps on the undercarriage (and not centered, but it's hard to tell from any distance). A few bodies had chipped paint (likely from being shipped in a bulk-pack plastic box), and some of the "headlight" paint was sloppily applied.  A few undercarriages weren't seated well to the body, and at least one didn't want to go together no matter what I tried; something just didn't fit.  There were also a few where the window castings didn't seem seated properly; those were likely ones with the undercarriage problem since it's what holds the windows in place. But mostly they were pretty good, and the level of detail on the body is acceptable for a non-foreground model.

The thing I like least is the number of cars in gold and red, which aren't exactly common colors.  I'll probably end up airbrushing those in some more neutral color before I use them, but that's likely well in the future.

post-264-13569928755075_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569928755576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ken,

thanks for the info. sounds like they are about the same as the chinese architectural autos, but with a few other interesting colors.

cheers

jeff