Tomix DE10 DCC conversion

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

I've begun installing a DCC decoder into a Tomix DE10. I hear this is supposed to be difficult, somehow, but I'm not finding it to be so. I'll just post a link to my blog, if the others here don't mind. So far, I've got instructions for disassembly up—that's difficult enough! I've progressed beyond this point, but I haven't written it up yet, so more to come!

Tomix DE10 DCC Pt 1: Disassembly

CaptOblivious

OK, so installing a decoder into the DE10 isn't difficult. What is difficult for me is installing a decoder without frying it: Nearly every install I've done, I've ended up frying something! The reason is that I test the installation at every stage, and sometimes those short, stiff wires get loose and touch things they shouldn't...I just need to stop the incessant testing I do, I guess. And I was almost finished, too!

BTW, anyone have a recommendation for a good source of small 12v bulbs?

Anyway, just an advertisement that I'll get the next installment up soon—making room for the decoder!

Martijn Meerts

I managed to install a decoder in a MicroAce DE10 not long ago, placed it sideways inside the driver's cab. It's clearly visible, but at least I didn't have to grind away the frame. Unfortunately I don't have pictures, I did the install at my father's place on a DE10 I gave him as a present.

Opening up the MicroAce DE10 was quite the challenge though ...

The Tomix was a real challenge to open up. Took me an evening to figure it out, and I still managed to snap off part of a handrail (d'oh!)

Anyway, Part 2 in which I tediously grind away at the frame with a handfile is up.

CaptOblivious

As a distant follow-up, having just completed a new-style Tomix DE10, I have to say these new ones are even harder to convert, requiring more creative frame-milling and wire-routing (even though the motor looks easy to isolate, it is in fact anything but).

On the other hand, recent work on a Kato DE10 with an NGDCC decoder took me 30 minutes, all of which was consumed with soldering on the necessary LEDs. Actual installation was dead simple.

Ahh no :(

I have to do this model one day don't tell me it's hard

i have the newest one from late last year.

Do i need to replace the bulbs in this :( because i know for a fact i cannot do this myself hah

CaptOblivious

Ahh no :(

I have to do this model one day don't tell me it's hard

i have the newest one from late last year.

Do i need to replace the bulbs in this :( because i know for a fact i cannot do this myself hah

Bulbs? The new DE10 uses surface mount LEDs (which do not need replacing!). My old-style DE10 had bulbs, and I did have to replace them, yes.

so is it easy to do or hard to install?

and is the process similar to the old one besides not doing the lights part?

I have planned upgrades for that

my tomix steamer c57 and my kiha 91 micro ace.

I'll do kiha 91 first as looks easiest.

also i'm looking at getting my dcc pack in sept so i'm looking at getting some decoders and a test track setup.