Private Freight Lines in Japan

stevenh

Thanks for posting the nice videos.  Good sound on those diesels, with the Caterpillar D398B on the DE601 and the DMF31's on the D801 roaring away.  Didn't know about the seki 6000 type with the articulation, these appear to be exclusive to this railway.

Thanks for posting the nice videos.  Good sound on those diesels, with the Caterpillar D398B on the DE601 and the DMF31's on the D801 roaring away.  Didn't know about the seki 6000 type with the articulation, these appear to be exclusive to this railway.

A Japanese wikipedia article I translated with Google says they are the only cars of their type in Japan.

Very interesting. What is Taiheyo's output, anthracite, bituminous or lignite?

Also, is it my impression or on the 1st film the DD13 is helping shove the train?

Cheers NB

Also, is it my impression or on the 1st film the DD13 is helping shove the train?

Cheers NB

I haven't been able to determine the type of coal, it appears the mining company shut down in 2002 but local people bought the mine and reopened it. The Japanese Wikipedia articles indicate the cars are through wired for control and operation of the doors, the rear loco did appear to be under control rather than just tagging along for the ride.

Likely subbituminous.  The mine shafts extend several kilometers under the sea bed.  Other than providing coal intended for power generation, the mine serves as a school for students from China, Indonesia, and Vietnam who have come to study coal mining techniques and safety.  And no doubt the mine is kept open through subsidies to provide employment for the remaining workers before retirement.

website of Kushiro Coal Mine, showing the route of the mine shafts:

http://www.k-coal.co.jp/work1.html

http://www.k-coal.co.jp/ph/work01-03.jpg