In Tokyo... tomorrow! Need some advices.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in Sapporo and I'll be in Tokyo tomorrow. My girlfriend is arriving on wednesday and I clearly intend to spend three and a half really densha-otaku-geeky days before she's with me!! :-)

I started a couple of months ago my train collections (with a beautiful Tomix Shinkansen 0 starter set) and even if I don't know how my future layout will look like, I'd like to purchase some things while I'm at the source!

- I need to extend my layout and with Shinkansen I'm really tempted to go on double tracks right away... There is nice Tomix sets with double overhead tracks and even greater: overhead station.

- My favorite train ever is the 300 series, it's the train that woke up the loving train-kid asleep inside my on my first trip in Japan. People told me that the last one from Tomix has power pickup on all wheels witch seems good, but what's the reference number (sorry I'm a bit lost as a beginner).

- If I can afford it I'd also like to have a Shinkansen + narrow gauge. Fell in love with Relay Tsubame in Fukuoka (I lived next to Minami-Fukuoka Station and had to wait at the crossing every day) and still a big fan of the Yamanote Line, so Kato it is! :-)

- For the layout related objects, as I don't know if I'll be able to make a permanent layout, I don't want to purchase a lot but I would like to complete and extend the station in my starter set. I'd also like to bring back a Lawson building, just in the memories of the hours spend in the convini!!

- I'm also intrigued by the B Train Shorty. How does it works? It's a model kit but we have to buy the motor separately?! I tried to figure this out, but I'm lost. The 500 series is so Kawaii!

- Any advices on the 2nd purchases?!

I clearly looked at this topic (http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,2181.0.html) and will probably go to these stores at least (and wander around Akiba like I love to do):

- TAM TAM

- Poppondetta (went to their Osaka store in march, it was the day I decided to start with Jtrains)

- probably the Kato showroom, but isn't it too much of a pain to go there? Seems far from everything.

- Any other place?!

But, and its the purpose of the creation of a new topic, I would also like to know all the places you know that are train related:

- Train museum (I already visited the Omiya one and loved it)

- Depot (is there a Shinkansen depot)

- Photo spot (I love photography, do you have good spots for it, for Shinkansen and local)

- Densha Cafe, maid cafe is already on my list, but definitely want to see those big layouts!

- Books or magazines, I'm so geeky that I'm tempted to buy the huge JR timetable lol.

- JORSA, I found a JORSA publication in the waiting room of the Sendai Shinkansen Depot. It was really detailed, really interesting and in english!! Is it possible to visit them? (http://jorsa.or.jp/)

- Anything else that you visited or heard about as train fans!!!!!

And other than that, if you have places that are not train related that you loved, don't hesitate to share. It's my 3rd trip in Tokyo, but it's such a big city, it would take a whole life (and maybe a couple more) to be able to say "Yeah, I know Tokyo".

On my list is: Maid Cafe, Nakano Broadway, maybe try to fing a JAXA (the japanese NASA) museum or showroom, the COSPA store and definitely try to find a huge 100¥ store and a cosplay store!

If you have ideas, you are welcome!!!!!

Of course, I'll share pictures! :-) (especially on the Maid Cafe ;-) )

- My favorite train ever is the 300 series, it's the train that woke up the loving train-kid asleep inside my on my first trip in Japan. People told me that the last one from Tomix has power pickup on all wheels witch seems good, but what's the reference number (sorry I'm a bit lost as a beginner).

I believe the numbers are 92808 (basic 6 car), 92809 (4 car addon) and 92810 (6 car addon) for the new version that has powered couplers.

- I'm also intrigued by the B Train Shorty. How does it works? It's a model kit but we have to buy the motor separately?! I tried to figure this out, but I'm lost. The 500 series is so Kawaii!

You need the Kato shorty power unit, which comes in express and commuter versions (the difference is the color and design of the trucks). The numbers are 11-706 and 11-707. You then also need wheels for the non-powered cars, 11-097 or 11-098. If you don't want rapido couplers you can replace them with 11-707, 11-702, 11-704 or 11-703 (black vs gray and knuckle vs EMU). Couplers come in a pack of 10 (enough to replace rapido couplers on 5 cars).

For pictures of any of the above items just put the number into the search box on hobby search: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

The Shinkansen runs next to the Eastern Yamanote line. You can see them from station platforms from Akihabara Station to Tamachi Station. They aren't the best shooting spots, but you are very close to the Shinkansen trains.

Look here:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3096.0.html

The Shinkansen Depot is very large and doesn't have very many shooter friendly spots. If you have a rented car or better yet, a rented bicycle you can find some nice areas, but none extra great. (parking a car may be a problem) I wouldn't advise walking and the summer heat can be deadly.

If you haven't, look at this thread for some pics of the Shinkansen Depot;

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3149.0.html

Best wishes,

Grant

Also you may look at the 32nd Annual Railway Model Show at Matsuya Ginza

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3326.0.html

MacDonalds near Shimbashi Station has Kiddie Toy trains with the Happy Meals. Mostly Shinkansens, a Yamanote train and an SL, eight in all. They are Plarail toys. SL-200goki, 700, Dr. Yellow, N700, E4, Tsubasa, Hayate, and a Yamanote E231.

At Ikebukuro Station, the Seibu Ikebukuro line has the Galaxy 999 and the Blue Seibu Lions trains. You can also see the Tobu line as well as the JR traffic that passes through the station. I shot four diesels passing through the station one day, but I stayed there for about 7 hours.

Best wishes,

Grant

SubwayHypes

if i only had one day in tokyo....i would definately drop by TAM TAM and asobitcity in ahkihabara in the morning.   Hit a Mos Burger for lunch.   Then hop the JR to shibuya and do my usual walking tour visiting my regular spots (tokyu hands and some clothing stores)....i would walk from Shibuya to Harajuku along the JR line tracks.   THen i would walk Harajuku and check my usual shopping spots there.   From Harajuku im catching the JR over to Meguro for Tonki Tonkatsu.   Then after dinner maybe hit up Roppongi, Ginza, or Ikebukuro for drinks and get a nice buzz going with the Kirin Nodogashi.   And if i could stuff even more food into my belly i would drop by the Yakiniku spot in Ikebukuro (near my usual hotel) thats open til 5AM.

have you been to the Kato store?  its off the Oedo line near Higashi something..cant remeber the station name.  its a must stop to check out their clearing sale table, and to hopefully run any newly aquired trains on their giant layout.

Thankfully I have more than one day!

I feel now tempted by a Mos Burger...

Thanks for your advices and keep posting, I will have my big train day probably on monday! :-)

Some errors in the info I posted. The event at Matsuya Dept. store in Ginza ended last Monday. Ask me how I found out. You can get a Tomy PlaRail train with the Happy Meal at any MacDonalds, but the Shimbashi Station MacDonalds has the second floor dining section decorated with a train motif with PlaRail trains in the wall cases and a track running in the middle of the eating section. Since the top is open, they ask that you do not let your child put their Happy Meal trains onto the tracks. The gift train is much shorter than the regular PlaRail trains.

Best wishes,

Grant

Yeah I saw that when passing in front of a Mac Donalds yesterday in Sapporo (went to the Yodobashi to see if they had trains lol). I think I will have my first happy meal since a long long time soon! :-D

For the Matsuya, I was really disappointed... but insted of the expo, they have now a huge sale on suits and I needed one lol!

So 10'000¥ for a complete suit is worth going elsewhere to see trains! :-D

I saw that it ended on the 26th. I checked that on an iPhone 4 in the Apple Store, the other side of the road!  :grin

I'll do my big train day tomorrow because I forgot that on monday (especially the first of the month) most of the shops are closed. And since I have no plans and still some time, I could also go complete what I missed on tuesday.

Tonight was a huuuuge firework over the Sumida River. It was the biggest I've ever seen but it took me about 2 hours to walk 2km because I think all Tokyo was there too...

In addition to the Shinkansen depot Gmat mentioned, there's a large passenger train depot (which also serves freight locomotives) on the north side of Tokyo in Kita Ward, just north of Tabata station on the Yamanote line (or south of Oku Station, on the Tohoku Main Line; not sure what trains stop there).

Note: I've never been to Japan, so I'm basing this on online photos and maps.

See:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/28180019

DE10_JRE_1098GB_190709

JRE_EF81-91GB_170709

JRF_EF64_EF81GB_190709

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24228072

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/13018054

There appear to be public roads on at least one side of the facility, and I've seen photos taken from them.

Since the top is open, they ask that you do not let your child put their Happy Meal trains onto the tracks.

I can see that request working at a Macdonalds anywhere outside Japan. :cheesy

Thanks for your tips everyone!!

I went to the Kato Showroom and even if their prices are not the best (far from it) it's worth the trip!!

I was surprised and happy to see even Swiss trains. Except that for the price of one swiss car I can buy a 4 car Yamanote set...

After I went to the Mac Donalds on the way back to the station and received a Yamanote (the one I wanted) toy in my happy meal along with a disgusting Fanta Grape (they don't do Iced Tea for happy meals, I read quicly "Fanta" but didn't see "Grape"...).

After I went to Nakano Broadway that was better in my memories, you can find the same things in Akiba in a better ambiance...

Then Chuo line to Akiba!!!! After I payed my respects to Yodobashi, I went to Asobicity (not the best place) and had a great time in TamTam. I asked about the Relay Tsubame, I just wanted to know the price but they told me it was their last one and as it was super discounted (30%) I should hurry. They proposed, without I had to ask, to keep it for me 1 week. I wasn't sure I wanted to buy this train (just wanted to check the price and wasn't able to find it in the shop) but now I feel obliged... Too bad, I will HAVE to buy this train!  :grin

Plus: today they had a big big sale. Eg: Tomix 800 Shinkansen starter set -45%!

Later I went to Poppondetta. I remembered I already went to this shop in march and couldn't see why everyone loves it here. That was before I notices that the stairs for the 3 others floors was outside!!! I spend about 3500¥ in train goodies: shinkansen chopsticks (awesome), notebooks, N700 ruler (yeah, you read me, 1 meter with a scale of the Tokaido-SanYo line lol), pen and straps.

On the 2nd floor 2 guys were running trains on the layout. They turned off the lights so it was really beautiful. Next time I go, I will definitely rent a track and a train (100¥/1h the track and between 150¥ and 200¥/1h depending of the train) to... asobu!

I compared the prices and TamTam is from far away the cheapest. A 2nd hand Relay Tsubame in Poppondetta was less than 1000¥ cheaper than the new one at TamTam.

Same for the tracks or other sets: all cheaper at TamTam, I'll definitely go there for my big buying!!!

Kumo, there is a 2nd floor hobby shop with paper poster posting 鐵道模型

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=zh-TW&msa=0&msid=100661110195103166047.00044336e3b310bcdfb58&layer=c&cbll=35.701692,139.771436&panoid=633a0fs0X8VOdEf59ViQzg&cbp=12,277.1,,0,2&ll=35.701625,139.771467&spn=0,0.002411&z=19&iwloc=00044ae64f0a301bf92df

It is located in our collective Akiba shops google map.

The price is 35% off for new products if you pay cash.  I would suggest you to go there first before Tam Tam if you like a good deal.

Also, if you buy pre-owned models there, you might find some treasured sets for 50-70% off.

Tamtam also does 35% as I understood. But having a look elsewhere costs nothing! :-)

I just want to buy my 300 brand new, but the other ones I don't mind.

Do you know where I could find 2nd had tracks? I have an A+B tomix layout but I need a second one (with power set) if I want to run 2 trains (the must would be 3 trains: 2 shinkansen and a local, but we'll see.....).

I feel like in a dream lol, except for my wallet... (T_T)

I just published a blog post about my day.

http://japon.loriskumo.com/2010/08/une-vraie-journee-dotaku-a-tokyo/

If you don't speak french, just see the pictures on my flickr ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loriskumo/sets/72157624508071135/

SubwayHypes

^i hear you Kumo...definately feels like a dream land...except for the wallet LOL.  but i saved up for months 2 grand to budget in Japan...so it felt like more of a mission to waste my 2 grand, at the end of the trip i only managed to spend 1800 of my 2 grand lol.

nice blog...looks like we visited the same places...check out my travel thread we have similar pics!