JMRI Decoder Pro - A good time to start.

JMRI Decoder Pro

I have always visualized that dynamic layout and thought it to be one of those next level endeavors. It seems like JMRI is bringing the possibility closer. So close that you just have to reach out and install it.

Most of us have taken the initial steps by converting from DC to DCC. It took me a while to do it. (People have problems with change) but I finally did and wondered why I did not do it earlier. The simple answer, it had not matured to a point in which it was ill refutable to me. Now DCC is to that point. I think we all go through this process in one form or another where the product evolves to a point where it is a main stay and we force ourselves into it.

JMRI should be no different except for one thing, the learning curve. JMRI is huge and vast and with its link into DCC it becomes end less. I think now is a good time to jump on and reduce the steep nature of the learning curve that can develop as the technology grows.

I am writing this thread because the time looks right. It goes as the adage; you can not run until you learn how to walk.  Most are walking with DCC and JMRI is the next step in getting things running.

Most of the time we need something to coerce us into doing things. I found the method or lead into JMRI or Decoder Pro that helped me find my bearings.

Decoder Pro has a roster/data base system that is the basic manager of the program. This is your lead in. You can organize your units in a system that can lead you into something worth while.

So if you are going to tackle something this big you need a plan of attack. I pretty much went through this process and it has gotten me to a point that I can see enough to get around. The biggest problem is that there is so much in JMRI that one can get over whelmed, confused and eventually put it aside but we have to condition ourselves to see only what we need too until we get familiar with our surroundings in JMRI.

Below you will find a mixture of flow chart and processes that can get you going with JMRI. I don’t want to provide a step by step guide because JMRI is so vast that one needs to acquaint themselves with searching and looking for the steps they need. I will give you a generalization of what you need to do so you are not going in blind but not so much information that you become lazy and dependent.

So here what you need to do.

1. Verify that your DCC is capable

Supported hardware

• • Atlas Commander
    • C/MRI
    • Digitrax
    • EasyDCC
    • Fleischmann
    • Hornby
    • Lenz
    • Lionel TMCC
    • NCE
    • RPS
    • Oak Tree Systems
    • Protrak Grapevine
    • Roco
    • SPROG
    • Uhlenbrock Intellibox
    • Viessmann Commander
    • Wangrow
    • Zimo MX-1
    • ZTC
    • * MRC is not supported.

2. Locate a systems Data cable.

• • GO to JMRI main page
    • Look on left menu “Connecting to your layout”
    • Identify what cable is required for your DCC system

3. Designate a PC to manage your layout

• • It should have a modern processor
    • JMRI can be a processor hog

4. Down JMRI program and install

5. Once installed you need to set up your preference or interface.

• • Don’t let all the menu bars deter you.
    • Look for the preference menu under edit
    o Select connection
    o This is the setup for the PC to Command station

6. Test that you have communication between PC and Command station. Reference JMRI and the appropriate vendor section.

• Once you have good communication into the DCC system you can start getting into Decoder Pro
  • Make sure that you can get in, you may need to trouble shoot but JMRI has good information to get you going

7. Open Decoder Pro and Create a Roster Group.

• a. Categorize your units into 3 groups.
    i. Shinkansen
    ii. Locomotives
    iii. MU
    b. Build Roster group
    i. Start Decoder Pro
    ii. Select Roster Menu  
    iii. Select Roster Groups at bottom of list
    iv. Create new roster group
    [smg id=988]
    1. Shinkansen
    2. Locomotives
    3. MU
    [smg id=992]
    8. Select active roster group
    a. This set the group you will key in.
    i. Select roster
    ii. Roster groups
    iii. Set active roster
    1. select the group you want to key in first

[smg id=993]

9. Now key in the first unit.

• a. Select roster
    [smg id=996]
    b. Select Create entry and this window will open. You can select the type of decoder for this entry.
    [smg id=995]
    i. At bottom of window select programmer format: Basic. This gives you a basic window. Remember we want to limit what we see for now.
    ii. select the decoder that is installed in the unit
    iii. Select the series of the decoder.
    iv. Double click it and it will open the programmer window.
    [smg id=997]
    v. This is the New Roster entry window with the basic tab screen on. The advance has a lot more info/tabs but we want it simple for now.
    Notice the basic tab it has the entry field for the decoder address, 2 or 4 digit and a few more fields.
    vi.
    [smg id=998]
    Fill in the blanks.
    1. The ID field is what you will see as a display name on throttles. You will be able to edit these later
    2. Select if you are going to use 2 or 4 digit addressing.
    3.     Remember to fill in the correct address, the default is 3. When you start associating the roster entry with the
           units decoder address. This will help in matching all your units with your entries
    [smg id=999]
    4. click save to roster and enter the rest of your units in the roster. (perform this process until all units are keyed in)

Here is a peek at what was done. I simplified the entry and only have one unit in my roster. When starting the Service Mode (Programming Track) from the main window the ability to select the units added the roster listing. In this case I only entered one unit. I can select the EH500 and it will open the programming window with all the data I enter earlier. Notice I have Advance selected in the programmer format instead of basic. It will give me all the tabs to look at.
    [smg id=1000]  

Once you get to this point the doors will opens. You can get a bearing on the things your need and want to do.

10. Restart Decoder Pro and the main window opens.

• a. The first thing you want to do is start tying your unit with the entry you made in the roster.
    b. Start by using the Service Mode/Programming Track button.
    [smg id=1001]
    (Make sure that you have your unit on the service track)
    c. This window is similar to the "create entry process" but differs in function.
    I selected my EH500 and change the programming format to Advance. This will open all tabs for display but just look for and focus on the basic tab for now.
    [smg id=1002]
    Remember you should be on the programming track not the main.
    Place the actual unit on the test programming track. This should be the same unit you selected from the roster list.

e. Choose the roster entry from the "Use Locomotive setting for" pull down menu. click "open programmer" button at bottom of window.  A lot of tabs will be displayed but focus on one "Basic"
    [smg id=1003][smg id=1004]

f. The basic tab displays a few primary CVs. We are just trying to verify and associate the unit you created in your roster group with the physical unit and its decoder CV settings.
    g. The address is the main link between the roster entry and the decoder. If they match the programmer will display the full page info, if not it will state the mismatch in the status bar at the bottom. You can make corrections to any discrepancy so don't worry.
    One key note. When on the programing track what ever unit is on the track, that unit is going to be written to. If you have a EF200 on the programing track and the EF500 on your roster window that EF200 is going to get labeled a EF500 based on the address and the profile. So make sure whats on the track matches whats in the roster entry.  

h.There are 8 buttons that either reads single tab or full tabs also called sheets or write in the same manner. The other mode will read or write changes only. These buttons will execute the CV updates or CV writes to the decoder.    
    [smg id=1005]

i. When you make changes the fields will change color to identify field changes. Then change to red during the writing or failure event. Successful changes return to a normal field color.

Example if I were to change the address from 5001 to 1111 the I would change the value 5001 in active address to 1111 and click write changes on sheet if I only wanted to update the values that I change at this time. It is a simple as that. The term sheet refers to tabs so the buttons operate accordingly.  

Before I end this segment I will set up a scenario that will further display the programming features.

If you had 2 unit that were identical and was not sure which cab is belonged to which chassis. If you set up your address as the road numbers Decoder Pro could identify the chassis and decoder matched which cab or shell.

First place the decoder on the test track. The start Decoder Pro with Service Mode Programming. Click the Ident button and Decoder pro will match the address with the roster entry. Ident identifies what is on the decoder and finds the matching address
    [smg id=1006]

This in one of many tools found in Decoder Pro.

• Take time to ponder the things DCC can do and associate them to the tabs in this windows. Afterward the system will seem more a lot more manageable. You will be amazed at how easy updating CV's and managing DCC options are. THis is just a portion of what can be done with JMRI. You can create routes, scripts manifests control turnouts. This is the foundation for automated modeling.

Try it out. If anything load your units up just to database it.  

If I missed something or you have a question ask. I helps me in my learning curve. Later on I can go through the wifi throttle. It is simple to run just difficult getting the programming in the PDA's and hub access.

Inobu

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Personally, I've found Decoder Pro to be the only interesting part of JMRI :)

If it comes to actually controlling trains, there's better and easier programs available. Might also be because it looks like JMRI is using more American operation as an example, whereas most other programs use European systems as their prototype.

(I also hate seeing a UI on my Mac that looks like a Linux UI with some random Mac buttons thrown in ;))

If it comes to actually controlling trains, there's better and easier programs available. Might also be because it looks like JMRI is using more American operation as an example, whereas most other programs use European systems as their prototype.

(I also hate seeing a UI on my Mac that looks like a Linux UI with some random Mac buttons thrown in ;))

It is the price that's hard to deny for me.  :laugh: 

Martijn Meerts

It is the price that's hard to deny for me.  :laugh: 

There's that ;)

However, there's http://www.rocrail.net/ for example. Same price as JMRI, but completely different angle. (Note that I have nothing to do with Rocrail, in fact, I don't like it all that much ;))

Actually that looks pretty good. As soon as I finish this I want to look at that one and compare. I like the I-pod app and droid apps. I fore go buying throttles and bought 2 I-pods instead. I think that the evolution of the I-pod will surpass most throttles. The manufactures cannot change the skins on their units as fast.

Inobu

Thanks for the input. You are a good source of info.   

I must admit this wets my appetite for dcc more!

im still stuck with the thought of $50 or so per train for the three decoders and then doing a lot of conversions! i keep hoping decoder prices will drop at some point, but that may be wishful thinking...

inobu what are you using for your head/tail lighting control?

cool thing is that all this will just keep getting better!

cheers

jeff

I must admit this wets my appetite for dcc more!

im still stuck with the thought of $50 or so per train for the three decoders and then doing a lot of conversions! i keep hoping decoder prices will drop at some point, but that may be wishful thinking...

inobu what are you using for your head/tail lighting control?

cool thing is that all this will just keep getting better!

cheers

jeff

I've posted so much I'm not sure from which perspective you are asking. I pod throttle or actual DC to DCC change over.  The prices are dropping. The wire type are low as $20 now. Digitrax

Inobu  

Inobu,

sorry from the decoder end. did you use decoders to control your directional lighting in trains that have dc directional lighting?

cheers

jeff

ps im now thinking that the ipod will be great for controlling my ttrak as im planning on running the rails with a decoder installed on each line to power the tracks (and thus not have to convert my trams to dcc yet). i have a walk around dcc, but its cabled and a problem for a show. would be great to just have the ipod there to control it. i could use the little samsung netbook as the server. this looks like fun! jr

Inobu,

sorry from the decoder end. did you use decoders to control your directional lighting in trains that have dc directional lighting?

cheers

jeff

ps im now thinking that the ipod will be great for controlling my ttrak as im planning on running the rails with a decoder installed on each line to power the tracks (and thus not have to convert my trams to dcc yet). i have a walk around dcc, but its cabled and a problem for a show. would be great to just have the ipod there to control it. i could use the little samsung netbook as the server. this looks like fun! jr

Most of the time you reuse or modify the existing LED boards. In your application it does not matter because the decoder is feeding the track which feeds the LED (normal DC functions).

I started off doing that but just opted out and went DCC. In any case this can work for you. You can consist the decoders and have each decoder respond in the same manner. That way you can power the layout with multiple decoders feeds so to speak. Each responding to your one or second throttle for the other main track.

Inobu

Great post, Inobu. 

I've played around a bit with JMRI, or more specifically DecoderPro, and used it to program one of my E231s, and I expect to use it as I start converting my fleet to DCC.  It's much easier than working from a keypad (which I did on my old HO layout).  In addition to programming, DecoderPro has some Loconet monitoring capability if you're using Digitrax (I have a Zephyr), and the ability to see the commands going out can be helpful when something doesn't work right.

Installing it is a bit of a pain, and it's a little flaky to use. It's not just that the UI doesn't look Mac-like (although I agree with Martijn), but that it seems to randomly hide and reveal menus depending on which window is foremost, which is terribly non-Mac, and drives me nuts. But it's useful enough that I put up with that sillyness.

I use the RR-CirKits Locobuffer-USB as my computer interface.  One of its benefits is that it opto-isolates the USB from the LocoNet bus, so a wiring error on the layout can't fry the USB port on the computer.

Martijn Meerts

Jeff, there are quite cheap decoders available already, but depending on how many trains you have, it can get expensive either way =

Actually that looks pretty good. As soon as I finish this I want to look at that one and compare. I like the I-pod app and droid apps. I fore go buying throttles and bought 2 I-pods instead. I think that the evolution of the I-pod will surpass most throttles. The manufactures cannot change the skins on their units as fast.

Inobu

Thanks for the input. You are a good source of info.    

iPods are great for controlling a layout. I've been experimenting with writing some things for the iPod/iPhone/iPad, and I have some ideas for throttles. The problem I have so far, is that for most digital command stations, you'll still need a computer to connect it to. The iPod will then communicate with the computer, which in turn will communicate with the command station. JMRI's iPod throttle does this, as does the Rocrail throttle.

I could write a throttle (with decent design, not like the current crappy designed ones ;)) for use with JMRI and Rocrail (and ECoS and Marklin Central Station), but I'd just like to see a native Mac app to control trains. It's proving a bit difficult though, considering all the serial port communications on the Mac is low level stuff ;)

Jeff, there are quite cheap decoders available already, but depending on how many trains you have, it can get expensive either way

well its still looking like $50 per train if i do the directional lighting as well, and a pile of trains to do (over 100 if i do the whole fleet) so it adds up. i fear the time could be a big factor as well to tackle that many and thats why it keeps getting chalked up to a maybe in early retirement type of job when hopefully decoders will be dirt cheap.

i dont suppose anyone has marketed yet a nice little isolator pads that have two slips of metal with an insulator in between and lead solder points that you can just slip between the usual motor wire flap lead and chassis joint to easily route power to the decoder. that looks the simplest and least invasive of techniques to re-route power to the decoder.

i love the idea of the ipod for control, very simple and as you and inobu have pointed out its a very flexible interface that the hand held dcc folks cant keep up with!

anyhow the first step of controlling ttrak and maybe the jrm layout with decoders wired to the tracks is a nice way to of getting my feet wet in dcc with out diving into the deep end of the pool from the 10m board... also we have talked about using decoders on the jrm layout for our point control system as its wiring would be only one more pair of wires to each module, then all the wiring is internal to the module. wiring them traditionally would mean routing huge numbers of cables back to the command station and would be a real mess to do in a portable way.

cheers

jeff