Krackel Hopper - Discussion thread

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Sorry for not updating sooner..

It took me forever to decide what to do for this project.  I was going between a rural station with a dead end siding and a modern suburban double-track station.  I finally decided to commit to an idea.. neither one!  ???

With RapitBunny on the B-Train craze.. I decided I wanted to do a modern urban station.  I kept holding off on the urban idea because I don't have the space or means to build a station with 10+ car platforms.. but in B-Train form this is possible for me.

Still not sure if this will be a T-trak module or a free-standing station/platform for me to place on the custom modular layout I am planning for the attic of my house.

I'll be using Greenmax station #30

30.jpg?_ex=350x350&s=2&r=1

I am still trying to figure out a way to make the overhead walkway look more modern.

Going to prime my station tonight.. should have something for my "in progress" thread by tomorrow night!

Jon

Actually, if you look at the prototype photo of Ochanomizu station on my discussion thread, you'll see a very similar looking walkway, and the entrance buildings to that station I've seen in other photos look quite modern.  I don't think JR bothers to replace platform structures (awnings, stairs) when they modernize stations. They're not really the "public face" of the building.

CaptOblivious

I think the textured spray looks good. Are you going to give it a wash to bring it out a little more?

Krackel Hopper

I think the textured spray looks good. Are you going to give it a wash to bring it out a little more?

I will.. but that will be much closer to the end.  I'll give the entire project a black wash to help with the shading.

That's an interesting technique.  I have one building planned, not part of my station but elsewhere on the layout, where I could use it. I'll be watching to see how yours turns out when its done.

serenityFan

The texture looks great, I really like it as it really stands out in the picture  :grin

Definitely a great way to overcome the plastic look of your models...

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Sorry for my vacancy on the boards over the last few weeks.  Seems a lot of people have had a lot of unexpected things to deal with over this month.  For me this was a car accident.  Not my fault, the other driver got ticketed for it.. so financially this shouldn't be a big issue, but getting everything squared has been taking up all my free-time over the last couple weeks.

I have been getting some work done on my project.. just haven't had time to post updates about it.. and in the end, I realized I will not be able to fully complete my project.  I was sure I had the Greenmax (#28) single-sided platform kit I needed, but I was wrong!  My station is mostly done, but I will probably not have platforms to go with it before the party is over.  I do have the modern Greenmax (#15) island platform kit.  I may decide to use that instead.. but I am not sure how good that would look putting an island platform at the front of a layout.. tracks on one side, the other against the edge of the layout.  It might give the feel that there is another set of tracks just off the layout.. but it might just look awkward..

Anyway - going to get a few shots of my progress.. I'll update my "in progress" shortly..

Jon

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I regret to announce that I will not be able to complete the project party.  My station is SO CLOSE!.. but I was involved in a car accident on Sunday.  The accident was not my fault, and I was not injured.  Unfortunately, my 2002 Ford Ranger didn't survive the crash.  After spending the last couple days dealing with the insurance companies, I will now have to spend the next few days trying to quickly find myself a replacement vehicle.  Now that the truck has been totaled, the other guys insurance will only pay for my rental car for a short time longer.. I would prefer to find a new vehicle and get rid of this junk rental before the $22/day rental fee falls on my shoulders..

I'll still be here to close out the project party.. but sadly, I won't have time to wrap up my station before Monday.

Jon