SUBWAYS BACK.......loads of pics from Japan

SubwayHypes

SubwayHypes

So ive got over 300 pics/video from my two week vacation to Tokyo Japan.  I stayed primarily in Ikebukuro and Shinjuku, shuffling between my hotel and my grandpas apartment.  I also went on a day trip to Kyoto to visit my grandmas temple grave.    But it was a blast, and i can only upload them so fast..so heres the first section from the first few days there.  Enjoy and make sure to check back.

JAPAN2010091.jpg

e231 yamanote

JAPAN2010096.jpg

^did you guys know they still run these?  i was shocked to still see them!  

JAPAN2010097.jpg

tozai line

JAPAN2010098.jpg

odoriko

JAPAN2010099.jpg

e211 tokaido at shinagawa yard

There will be more trains, im gonna be sprinkling in visits along with the trains.

We visited the Subway Museum, where i first got inspired by the double decker layout idea.

JAPAN2010036.jpg

JAPAN2010045.jpg

JAPAN2010051.jpg

JAPAN2010052.jpg

JAPAN2010057.jpg

quite an impressive HO scale layout...

JAPAN2010049.jpg

JAPAN2010048.jpg

JAPAN2010053.jpg

love the subway look, definately want this in my new layout

JAPAN2010039.jpg

JAPAN2010041.jpg

JAPAN2010040jns.jpg

JAPAN2010031.jpg

JAPAN2010032.jpg

JAPAN2010034.jpg

JAPAN2010026.jpg

oedo line

JAPAN2010025.jpg

oedo line

JAPAN2010027.jpg

tozai line

and if you didnt see in the other thread...my two week haul from tam tam and other various shops lol.  

jnshaul2.jpg

jnshaul3.jpg

thats it for today i gotta go to work....but make sure to check back ive got hundreds more pictures!

Glad you had a fun and fulfilling trip.  Seeing all the treasures you bought, I was a bit like you from the last trip I went across Japan.  Cannot wait to see more.  BTW where is the subway museum?

Looks like you enjoyed Japan, and the hobby shops enjoyed you too. :grin

The subway museum looks like it might be worth a visit.

Only 300+ pics/videos?! Did you miss a 0 or two?  :cheesy I made 10 Go worth of pictures when I was in Japan last April and May. Ok, I stayed a bit longer than you but still 300 is a bit short.  :laugh: Ok, I'm playing with you. I'll be more than happy to see what you have to share with us. :)

The subway museum and its layout it's already quite impressive. I like the layout's feeling. It looks like a maze.

Man! I need to go back to Japan!!! :(

Subway - Glad to see you're having a great time in Japan. Are you visiting your grandparents? I like the shots of the underground subway station on the layout with the lighting.

Oh...and glad to see you back!

CaptOblivious

Wow, I really didn't have any idea that JRE was still running 200's with the original livery. When I was there, I saw plenty of 200's, but they all had the new blue/white two-tone livery.

Wow, I really didn't have any idea that JRE was still running 200's with the original livery. When I was there, I saw plenty of 200's, but they all had the new blue/white two-tone livery.

Odd, while in Tokyo, I did not see a single 200 with the blue and white, but rather the green on white on the 200's.  ???

SubwayHypes

Guys the subway museum is just the tip of the iceberg.   No where near as impressive as the new JR railroad museum, which i will have pics of later.

i dont want to post too much pics of either museum so those who havent been there can still have some surprises though.

the old 200s with green are apparently run as local shinkansens now.   I noticed that on ALOT of lines in japan right now they are running old livery, 211s, 203s, and old subway lines too.  For the new Fukudoshi Subway line, that runs from Shibuya to Ikebukuro, they are running old Chiyodas and Yurakucho lines with new stickers.

So on the second day we went to Roppongi Hills and ate the best tonkatsu i ever had..the insides were a rare pink, its 30 bucks for 5 pieces its from a special pig.

JAPAN2010018jns.jpg

JAPAN2010021jns.jpg

roppongi hills is a must see...lots and lots of food

JAPAN2010019jns.jpg

JAPAN2010023.jpg

sooo hungry

JAPAN2010100jns.jpg

went train hopping and found myself on the 217 Yokosuka

JAPAN2010101jns.jpg

mega giant tower they are building

JAPAN2010102jns.jpg

i love yards

took the Keihin line to some cool aquarium..old 203

JAPAN2010131jns.jpg

JAPAN2010132jns.jpg

with the ferris wheel behind it

JAPAN2010127.jpg

JAPAN2010123.jpg

JAPAN2010128.jpg

japanese mountain river scene

JAPAN2010107jns.jpg

too bad theres no N scale!  racetrack at toypark ginza

JAPAN2010063jns.jpg

ginza at night

JAPAN2010093jns.jpg

taxis waiting at Ikebukuro station (at 1am, when the last yamanote comes, people flood out and into cabs)

JAPAN2010094jns.jpg

Ikebukuro party district...(yes we did see Yakuza.  they usually wear long sleeved shirts to hide their tattoos)

JAPAN2010103jns.jpg

people watching world cup

next day hopped the Tokyu Toyoko Line to Yutenji, to visit this cool train curry place, and an N gauge place

JAPAN2010135jns.jpg

JAPAN2010138jns.jpg

two of my faves, the Tobu line and Toyoko line, both of which run along the Hibiya subway line

JAPAN2010143jns.jpg

you must visit this resturant, awesome curry and lots of train stuff

JAPAN2010142jns.jpg

JAPAN2010141jns.jpg

old tickets (i used to collect these..no one uses any more its all SUICA card)

JAPAN2010140jns.jpg

JAPAN2010152jns.jpg

JAPAN2010139jns.jpg

whats this??

JAPAN2010148jns.jpg

low and behold, its a train with a plate of Tonkatsu Curry!

JAPAN2010151jns.jpg

thats it for today...check back soon there will be more to come.

SubwayHypes

after the curry place there is an N gauge stop right down the street...pretty small shop called Little Japan, they specialize in the Tokyu Toyoko lines as you can see from their layout and train display

JAPAN2010154.jpg

JAPAN2010155.jpg

JAPAN201016.jpg

Great photos. Is slot car racing big over in Japan? A few places around me tried making a comeback but sadly they didn't make it.

Awesome pictures!

The food has made me very hungry.  What are those things you snapped through a window?  I don't even know if it's meat or a pastry of some kind!  ( I want to eat it regardless :)

Graham

SubwayHypes

the resturant is located off the Tokyu Toyoko line, at Yutenji station.  When you take the main exit, just head left down the street that runs parallel to the tracks.  its literally right around the corner and has a big locomotive in front.

not sure about the slot car racing, i saw that layout at Toy Park in Ginza, and immediately thought it would be cool to run doube track along the whole length, with like 10 lines hah.

the food in the first pic is Tonkatsu at Roppongi hills.  the second picture shows Yakitori chicken balls and other random meat sticks.  and yes its hungry, and yes thinking about them makes my stomach growl.  Japan has the best eating, when i came back to the states i sat around my house like DAMN, im hungry, but theres nothing out there except Subway or JacknBox....

the resturant is located off the Tokyu Toyoko line, at Yutenji station.   When you take the main exit, just head left down the street that runs parallel to the tracks.  its literally right around the corner and has a big locomotive in front.

not sure about the slot car racing, i saw that layout at Toy Park in Ginza, and immediately thought it would be cool to run doube track along the whole length, with like 10 lines hah.

the food in the first pic is Tonkatsu at Roppongi hills.  the second picture shows Yakitori chicken balls and other random meat sticks.  and yes its hungry, and yes thinking about them makes my stomach growl.  Japan has the best eating, when i came back to the states i sat around my house like DAMN, im hungry, but theres nothing out there except Subway or JacknBox....

Thanks, I'm going to try and get there when I'm in Japan on an Australian railfan tour in a month's time, it looks like a good place for us to go for dinner one night. You're making me look forward to the trip as much for the food as the trains. 'Japanese' food in Australia just doesn't cut it after you've tasted the real thing.

SubwayHypes

hey westfalen if you are in tokyo between july 21-august 8th, the annual N guage railshow is going down at Matsuzakaya in Ginza....they turn the whole top floor of the department store into N gauge paradise, with dozens of layouts that you can play around with, and all the major brands are out there hawking their new stuff.

definately check that out...im angry i missed it! 

hey westfalen if you are in tokyo between july 21-august 8th, the annual N guage railshow is going down at Matsuzakaya in Ginza....they turn the whole top floor of the department store into N gauge paradise, with dozens of layouts that you can play around with, and all the major brands are out there hawking their new stuff.

definately check that out...im angry i missed it! 

Afraid I'll miss it too, we arrive in Japan on August 24th.

Claude_Dreyfus

How cool is that shop!  :cool:

Looking forward to the next installment after your rather naughty taster picture... :grin

Last time I went to the Kato store was back in 1994, looks like it's about time I paid them another visit.

ShinCanadaSen

Are those Kato pics of the Tokyo Store? or their head office? Are the Trains in the Glass Wall Cases Display or for sale? Just curious :)