DB ICE troubles

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

While looking for information about the recent aircon failure on an ICE trainset (I imagine a nightmare for passengers, stuck in a hermetic sealed tube), I came across this interesting article from Der Spiegel:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,706240,00.html

An earlier, three part article is also worth reading:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,699847,00.html

Any perspective from our Germany-based forumers?

I only travel with the Amsterdam - Cologne ICE from time to time, but what I've noticed is that in the 3-4 years I've lived here in Germany is that punctuality and service is declining rapidly.

Having half an hour delay on a short run (say Bonn - Düsseldorf, a 1 hour ride) is pretty much! I think it has to do with privatisation and the branching off of divisions (DB Regio, DB Netz AG, DB Cargo AG, etc. etc.). I think they see each other more as competitors than colleagues... Next to that, other companies run on the same tracks as well, not only cargo, but passenger as well. IMO that's the biggest problem, together with a slowly deteriorating network where on some places arm-signals are still used! (See additional picture for proof)

post-224-13569925064593_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn
together with a slowly deteriorating network where on some places arm-signals are still used!

Actually, operating semaphore signaling is the main reason I want to visit Germany again in the near future :cheesy...But I see how antiquated signaling can restrict service improvements.

SONIC883_de

Hey, it is the DB. The fares are expencive, the timetable becomes every year a big diet etc and the people in the HQ have no ideas that it is unatractive to travel with them.

They can't safe more money with workers loan, so they safe money with longer maintenance intervals. Have a look to Berlins S-Bahnen.

The trouble with the aircon is at the old ICEs (~15 years). Older trains need more maintenance or not?

I like to take photos (of DB-trains too), but I don't like to travel with. The Reginal Express in the morning is dirty. The two wagons at the peak time  are overcrowded. At other times and on weekend the same line will be served with 4 to 5 cars - all empty

I can't say many good words about this company.

Short: It is DB

Martijn Meerts

I always enjoyed traveling by train in Germany actually.. Maybe I'm too used to the crap that is Dutch and Norwegian railways =)

if you wanna try to travel with FS........ :grin

an example? past winter, Freccia Rossa service (Like TGV or ICE from Milano to Roma, best service for travelers), 10cm snow, delay 1,5 hours (normally time travel around 3 hours!), ice on catenary, train stopped inside tunnel without power, darkness, cold.....    f....k!

reply from FS CEO: that's can happen, it's better if passengers bringing something to eat, a bottle of water and maybe a blanket....(a fan in summer, of course! not all the coaches are air conditioned)

ciao

Massimo

Well. What they say is true. They have been a lot of problem with german trains (ICE, Regional train or Berlin S-Bahn) these last few years. Some are the fault of the DB others seems to be more related to engineering or production control defaults. I'm also thinking about the Hamburg-Berlin line that had to be redone because of faulty concrete slabs. I find the articles a tad too dark and alarmist. This winter the weather was extrem (compared to the last 10 years) and there was problems all over the continent.

That said, even if those problems have been quite impressive, I'm not so sure it's that bad and so much different as the rest of Europe. SNCF also had a lot of troubles with its High Speed Network (and sometimes trains) these last few years. FS service are chaotic and there is as much to say about allmost every country in Europe (exept maybe Switzerland). Many countries are still envious of the way the german railway is run.

I think some people fantazes a bit too much about the "german level of service and reliability". I'm not even sure it has ever so much existed.

What I must say is sure the DB has is clearly responsible for trying to maximise profit at the expense of some maintenance work. Look at what happen with about Berlin's S-Bahn meldown but at the same time they really tried to make things work as efficiently as they could (they brought reinforcement rolling stock from other DB Regio).

And for the German High Speed Rail Network... Well, French love to bash it and even if there is a lot of political medling, the way both networks are build reflects the human geography of each country. I'm not sure there is much sense to build a French type HSR in Germany. Population is a lot more evenly spread in Germany than in France. In France it makes a lot of sense, from Paris, to bypass Lyon on the way to Marseilles (and the rest of France Mediteranean coast). Hard to find an equivalent in Germany. That said, there is clearly room for improvement.

Distrurbman....I think you make a great point.... take many of these news stories with a 'little grain of salt'!  I expect its not, and never was, perfect, and they clearly have issues, but that's life to a certain extent, and probably not as bad as this makes it sound.  Look...our standard in the US is Amtrak....'nuff said, right?  :grin

Here's an article in English on the AC failure on the ICE trains:

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20100716-28553.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=138

Also, when you consider some of the delays compared to the airline industry?  I'd still rather take my chances (if I had the choice!) with the train!  :grin