DCC for EF510-500

westfalen

Has anyone out there installed DCC in the new Kato EF510-500? Drop in decoders I have on hand are the right shape but too long, (Digitrax DN163K1C pictured). It looks like it might have to be a hard wired installation using the original board for the lights, the newer EF65's have the same board.

post-218-13569925058332_thumb.jpg

Update No.2: I'm answering everything myself.

I sent him an email and he can ship overseas so I've ordered an EF510 decoder and some other goodies to see what happens.

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

I thought he wouldn't ship either. Good to know!

I have to admit, I'm surprised that a) this loco doesn't take the usual DN163K0x series of decoders and b) that its too small for the other kind. Very unusual!

His reply stated that he can "ship to foreign countries as engineering samples. Payment by Visa only." So I've ordered decoders for the EF510, EF65, DE10 and Portram. After you send him an email with the details of your order he emails you a link to make payment. He says they should ship in 2-3 days so I'll let you know how I go.

alpineaustralia

I have installed the usual DN163K0A into this train by simply shortening the LED stalks. See my earlier posts re the DF200 etc.

CaptOblivious

I have installed the usual DN163K0A into this train by simply shortening the LED stalks. See my earlier posts re the DF200 etc.

That's relieving news. Could you share a photo of the decoder in situ?

I wonder, if there may be a difference between the original EF510, EF510-1 and the new EF510-500. The newer EF510-500 is configured for SMD technology and the older units use the older LED boards supporting Alpine's comment.  

I think it is the case. The first release are part numbers 3051 and 3051-1 verses 3065-1

Inobu

If you check out my photo in the first post you'll see Kato have changed the mechanism from the type that accepts the DN163K0A. The 3060-1 EF65-500 also has this new mechanism.

My package of decoders arrived from NGDCC today. I'll probably do my EF65-500 first then move on to the EF510 as I don't have the sleeping cars yet and I can press the EF65 into service pulling the 'Fresh Fish Express" at a T-TRAK display on the weekend.

alpineaustralia

Yes. This one seems to have a metal body whereas my one has the same body type as the DF200.

I'lll photograph it and send a photo.

If you buy a new run Kato loco it might pay to wait until it arrives before ordering a decoder for it just in case they have changed the mechanism.

I put the decoder in the EF65-500 yesterday following the instructions on NGDCC's website and it went like a charm. I'll get stuck into the EF510 today.

I wonder, if there may be a difference between the original EF510, EF510-1 and the new EF510-500. The newer EF510-500 is configured for SMD technology and the older units use the older LED boards supporting Alpine's comment.  

I think it is the case. The first release are part numbers 3051 and 3051-1 verses 3065-1

Inobu

i just opened my ef510 model# 3051 and it has smd  so what decoder do i need???

American locos are so less confusing to me

CaptOblivious

Inobu

Is this the red JR Freight liveried one? Then the Digitrax decoder is fine.

Kato is changing the way they do lightboards. The new GG1 reflects this new configuration, but the shell and frame happen to be a bit more forgiving, and so permit older decoders e.g. the Digitrax DN163K0a series. I would expect to see new NA releases to follow suit with these new Japanese releases, with a need for a new decoder shape. Anyway, this shouldn't affect your model.

Inobu

Kato is changing the way they do lightboards. The new GG1 reflects this new configuration, but the shell and frame happen to be a bit more forgiving, and so permit older decoders e.g. the Digitrax DN163K0a series. I would expect to see new NA releases to follow suit with these new Japanese releases, with a need for a new decoder shape. Anyway, this shouldn't affect your model.

I notice you say the board has SMDs, Kato may have changed the mechanism in later JR Freight EF510's, if your mechanism is like mine in the photo in the first post the DN163K0a won't fit.

CaptOblivious

I notice you say the board has SMDs, Kato may have changed the mechanism in later JR Freight EF510's, if your mechanism is like mine in the photo in the first post the DN163K0a won't fit.

Or it may just mean that Kato has redesigned their old lightboards to take advantage of cheaper SMD parts and manufacturing costs…

Or it may just mean that Kato has redesigned their old lightboards to take advantage of cheaper SMD parts and manufacturing costs…

Going by bigford's photo it looks like you're correct, it should be safe to use the DN163K0a decoder.