Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

I had to file down quite a bit of the top of the sideframes to allow the trucks to swivel properly.

Are you referring to these?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10123656

I bought these. I honestly don't think they're meant to swivel much... The shorties are so short that the trucks only need a small amount of pivot to get around most bends. At least IMHO. Never tried something R103.. I think their biggest problem is that they don't roll very well. As with my post above, with these trucks on, the Kato power unit will only pull 2 other cars.

I had to file down quite a bit of the top of the sideframes to allow the trucks to swivel properly ... The same thing on the power chassis ... Can anyone offer any help or advice?

I was confused by this at first as well, but after some experimentation, I found that reducing the swivel actually reduced derailing. At first, I tried to maximize the swivel, but the added "jiggliness" (enhanced by the springy couplers) would increase chances of derailing over small bumps. As clem24 mentioned, the Bandai Shorty trains are so short that they can handle tight bends as is. On my Kato unitrack set, they have no problem going through the 216mm curves with minimal swiveling. Are you having problems running the trains as is?

In fact, if you look through the diagrams in the instruction booklet, there's one diagram that shows a variation in the "base" of the train (the black plastic piece that you attach the trucks to). Some trains come with "bases" with a stabilizer nub. The nub locks onto the truck and minimizes swiveling altogether. I've found that using these stabilizing "bases" and thereby reducing all swiveling produced the most reliable running on my tracks. Some Shorty trains come with the stabilizing nub, and others don't. I'm not sure whether there's a rhyme or reason to it.

To be honest, I think you'll be even more disappointed with the Kato chassis. Those come with reliefs that you can't remove, so it will still reduce your swiveling (if that is what you're worrying about). And they are only 2-axel drive, and have significantly less pulling power than these new Bandai motors. These new Bandai motors can move a full 8-car Bandai Shorty set without a problem.

Actually, I just put this video of my layout up on YouTube:

This is using the new Bandai motor. I had to limit it to 6 Shorty cars because of how steep that incline is. But on flat ground, it can haul 8 with no problems.

Thanks for the responses!

Jeff, Clem24, I am thinking of maybe doing a hybrid - using the Bandai power chassis (possibly epoxying the sideframes on to stop them popping off!) but using Kato trailing trucks if they roll better.  Will buy a couple of sets and see how that works out.  The mismatching sideframes is something I will have to live with, or if the Kato trailing trucks work real well, maybe I cut the sideframes off a pair and glue them to the power chassis instead...

Ospen, the issue was not the amount the trucks swivel, it is how stiff they are to swivel.  Adding the sideframes the trucks just did not want to turn to the point of derailing at the first curve since they would not turn with the curve in the track.

The next issue to overcome - ohow do you get the coupler to go through the skirt on the end cars and not foul anything?  Is there a trick to that?

Thanks!

Nick

I have finally succumbed to the temptaion of these and purchased a couple of sets. Along with a "job lot" of pantographs, trucks and couplers. :toothy5:

I notice the electric locomotives only appear to be avialable in "sets of 12". Is there anyone who would be interested in splitting some sets? Might be a good way of getting 3 or 4 locos each, without having to spend out on whole sets.

Krackel Hopper

I notice the electric locomotives only appear to be avialable in "sets of 12". Is there anyone who would be interested in splitting some sets? Might be a good way of getting 3 or 4 locos each, without having to spend out on whole sets.

I have sets #9 & #10, if anyone is interested in any of the locomotives from these.  I've assembled all of #9, but only snap together.  Nothing is glued, or permanently fixed.  Set #10 is new in the box.

I wouldn't mind trading for some other B-Train locomotives.

Send me a PM if you're interested in anything from these sets and we can work something out.

Mr. Frosty, you've got a PM.

i expect some more locos may come out soon with them releasing the container cars. hoping for an eh500!

I certainly hope so. I think an EH500 would look superb. :grin

EH500.jpg

• Like 2
CaptOblivious

Now I've got the B-Train Bug. Picked up this Kintetsu 8000-series set for my birthday, with an eye to making a tiny little layout with my daughter based on Ikoma Station on the Kintetsu Nara line. Now I have to head back to Yodobashi to pick up wheels, motors, and pantographs, as well as an 8600-series, and then hunt down the two limited express models that are now sold out...curse all of you! :P

IMAG0981.jpg

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

I'll let you know if I see them around. Tokyu Hands Shibuya, Tam Tam and Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara and Shinjuku come to mind.

Grant

Thanks Grant. I think they are now quite rare, with the occasional specimen going for 3-5x original price on Amazon Marketplace. But if you do see one or the other (or both) for sale at a reasonable price…I have cold hard yen :D

I checked some shops in Akihabara last night. Tam Tam, Yodobashi Camera, and the third floor at Liberty didn't have the Kintetsu Limited Express that you're looking for. Also Volks opened a new Hobby shop on the Northwest side of Akihabara. I also visited Yodobashi in Shinjuku. Sorry, no joy.

This is a photo of the new store. The NW exit is straight ahead about 30 meters on the right side of the photo.

DSC_0003-6.jpg

The second floor has a train section. They have a few of the recent Bandai B-trains that have sold out in other shops. Tam Tam, Liberty and Volks each had a few B-trains that the other two didn't. Don't know about the prices, but the price of the B-train Orange 201 was the same as Tam tam's but the 183 8 car set might have been a little higher, if I remember correctly.

Also the building outside the Southwest exit with the Yellow Submarine shops has closed down. Last night or recently, a crashed satellite prop was added to the top front of the building. People were snapping photos of it.

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0009-5.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

Will look at the Shibuya Tokyu Hands. If you know of a shop in Tokyo that might have overlooked stock, let me know and I'll try to make a trip.

Best wishes,

Grant

Krackel Hopper

Looking at some Hobby Show photos..

I wonder if this will be a limited release, or if it will be available through all the regular sources:

N700 R10 rainbow

(image too big to post in-thread)

http://www.hobby-show.info/tokyo2011/images/0089.jpg

On a side note - I own the Kintetsu 10100系  :cool:

It's really nice looking, but I'm not sure how well it would convert to running.  The articulated joints are snug and do not allow the individual cars to swing freely.  Until I can find a way to loosen up those joints, I'm sure the train would just derail on the first curve.

CaptOblivious

Looking at some Hobby Show photos..

I wonder if this will be a limited release, or if it will be available through all the regular sources:

N700 R10 rainbow

(image too big to post in-thread)

http://www.hobby-show.info/tokyo2011/images/0089.jpg

Nice.

On a side note - I own the Kintetsu 10100系  :cool:

It's really nice looking, but I'm not sure how well it would convert to running.  The articulated joints are snug and do not allow the individual cars to swing freely.  Until I can find a way to loosen up those joints, I'm sure the train would just derail on the first curve.

That's a shame, really. Probably suggests I should consider other options to add variety, say some non-prototypical "run through" arrangements with Hankyu or Keihan.... ;D

Couple of quick questions.

Does anyone know anywhere selling the packs of Bandai running trucks? All the usual suspects appear to be sold out.

Secondly, which power unit/chassis do I need to these shortys.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN956502

Thanks.

You can use the Bandai Power Unit 3 motor chassis for these:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10159615

Hobby Search is sold out, but you can get them at Plaza Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Train-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-3-Bandai-N-scale-/200659984576?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eb84460c0#ht_2563wt_1029

Note that Power Unit 3 is an upgrade from Power Unit 2 (4 powered axels, rather than 2 powered axels). In short, you shouldn't buy Power Unit 2 motors now that the Power Unit 3 motors are available.

While they are releasing the tram-specific motor as disturbman mentioned, it seems that they are just the same motor in a lighter gray color. In any case, these Power Unit 3 motors will fit in the tram just fine.

In terms of the trucks, it seems that everyone is out of the Bandai trucks, but the Kato bogies for Shorty trains are actually significantly more smooth-rolling, and cost a little less:

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=102&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=kato+bogie+shorty

The downside is that these come with reliefs pre-attached so you can't use the prototypical ones that come with the Shorty kits. The different Kato options are just differences in color and relief type. My opinion is to use the Kato ones since they allow you to pull more cars and the running cars are less jittery.

• Like 1

Capt. Oblivious was asking about the 24/25 cars as it wasn't easlily available on the internet.

I got this from the Bandai B-train set.

Just the instructions.

DSC_0002-9.jpg

Top Asakaze, until 1994. Next row, until 2006.

Next row, Hayabusa until 1999. The bottom one is the Ginga.

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0005-5.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

The 485 series Nikko Kinugawa 4 car set was only available at JR kiosks and the News Days convenience stores in and next to the stations.

Box illustrations.

DSC_0006-7.jpg

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Here's one I built earlier...

DSC00050.jpg

I did take the extra step of making the cars with fewer windows for the middle cars.  That was tedious and caused the dust that you might notice in the photos.  I haven't addressed the side frames on the power chassis yet, that will come a bit later.

Cheers!

Nick

• Like 2