Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

lukewang01
On 4/30/2021 at 5:15 PM, kami_illy said:

I used the old draw bars that i still had from older sets. They don't have any decorational elements but are shorter than the newer ones. Also I used the old chassis which have the pins for the couplers / draw bars on the bogeys and not on the car bodies (that makes it easier to convert them later). 

What wheels are you using to go with the older chassis? I want to reuse some of those chassis and be able to put bogie sides on them.

Dinosbacsi

Decided to try swapping the roofs on my 103 series to the not air-conditioned ones. Mainly because I don't get these other ones, why do they have two AC units on the roof, opposed to the usually only one in the middle?

ABeVvny.jpg

Can't decide yet which one looks better. It looks a bit too plain without the AC unit on the roof, but I don't think these double-AC units are prototypical to the Chuo-Sobu line, are they? Which route may have had their 103s like this?

bill937ca
railsquid

I'm not an expert but I think the distributed A/C arrangement is usually associated with units modified by JR West (for whatever reason). The only JR East units I'm aware of with similar were the 103-3000 units on the Kawagoe line, but they weren't "proper" 103s anyway.

disturbman
Posted (edited)

JR East 103-1200 also had partially distributed A/C arrangements. Probably due to having to run-through tunnels.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
Dinosbacsi

After a bit of googling and translating random japanese sites, it looks like the Tsurumi Line had some of their 103s like this, with two smaller AC units instead of one bigger.

Well I suppose then I'll do the rest of my cars as well and use the non-AC roofs to make it more prototypical for Chuo Sobu. Then maybe get a set of roofs with the AC in the middle if I find some junk for a good price.

kami_illy
On 5/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, lukewang01 said:

What wheels are you using to go with the older chassis? I want to reuse some of those chassis and be able to put bogie sides on them.

Actually I'll exchange the whole chassis for the T-Kais. The Bandai ones I put now is this one equipped with the high flange wheels. 

180421859_kami_illy-b-train25.thumb.jpg.9324215afc7fb15c04824051844789d4.jpg

• Thanks 1
Dinosbacsi

Talking about Bandai chassises, what are your guys experience with older T trucks versus the newer T-Kai chassises?

I'm asking because, as I've wrote about it in my previous posts, my 205 series has T-Kai chassis, while my 103 series has original chassis with replaced T trucks. And my 103 series seems to derail a bit more, compared to the 205, which never has problems. It looks like the older T trucks seem to behave worse when being pushed from behind.

For example, as it goes around in my small loop layout, there is a 117mm radius curve where the front car's rear truck will sometimes jump off the rails as the motorized car pushes it from behind. Also if the motorized car is pushing more than 1 trailer cars in front of it, then the couplers will very often uncouple themselves in turns.

Interestingly the 205 with the T-Kai chassis does not have this problem. The couplers are a bit different on the T trucks and the T-Kai chassis, I suspect the ones on the T trucks may be an older and worse designs that are more prone to uncoupling when being pushed in tight curves?

lukewang01

Old T trucks have a higher resistance. Takes a bit more juice to get them going.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:49 PM, Dinosbacsi said:

Decided to try swapping the roofs on my 103 series to the not air-conditioned ones. Mainly because I don't get these other ones, why do they have two AC units on the roof, opposed to the usually only one in the middle?

ABeVvny.jpg

Can't decide yet which one looks better. It looks a bit too plain without the AC unit on the roof, but I don't think these double-AC units are prototypical to the Chuo-Sobu line, are they? Which route may have had their 103s like this?

Going through my files, I came across this source of 103 Series Sobu Line photos circa 2000.

https://yoshidahideo.com/data/5000_jr103_soubu.shtml

• Like 1
Dinosbacsi

As I posted in the other thread as well, my newest order finally arrived today with a bunch of Shorty stuff. So yay!

For starters there is this beautiful high-cab 103 series. Interestingly it came with a front skirt installed, even though Bandai doesn't even include those for these 103s. I suppose the previous owner was like me and felt they look horrible without one, so bought a set then put them on - and I'm grateful for that, as I think it looks great, even if it's not prototypical at all. And it also came with stickers applied, which is nice. For just 1200 yen I think this was a great purchase.

4vTlvST.jpg

QtNXTe3.jpg

Then there was also this EF64-0 series. It just looks so cute, lol. It was a bit more expensive with a 2000 yen price, but it was new - without a box though, but everything still in the small packages and unassembled. So I had the fun of putting it together. I really like the fact that they included a second set of roofs and front cabs so you can make either an older or a newer variant out of it. And also the sticker sheet includes a lot of EF64 running numbers - I wonder which one should I put on, if any?

2uxbVKi.jpg

7EDhHUH.jpg

I plan to use it mostly for EMU towing, like they do around the Tokyo area in real life as well. Though in real life the 3 locomotives used for this are EF64-1000 series, not the 0 series like mine, but well... it is what it is. If I already gave up on being completely prorotypical with the 103s front skirts, then I might as well install shibata couplers on this EF64-0 series as well, lol. So I think that's what I will do, anyway.

2A2f8ov.jpg

I also got myself this junk 201 series cab car. It came without a chassis and any truck covers, but will be good for spares or experiementing in the future, I suppose. Until then, the EF64 can have some fun towing it around.

HrKvwK9.jpg

K4NVizE.jpg

So my small desk shelf layout suddenly got really crowded, as you can see, but I love it. I love the look of tis small fleet. And the lack of space will stop me from ordering more trains for a while, at least, lol.

• Like 3
disturbman

Nice, yellow fleet.

Wait until you start putting those away in a nice Casio case. The amount of trains you will have will explode 😉

• Like 2
2 hours ago, disturbman said:

The amount of trains you will have will explode 😉

Oh yeah. Started for me with buying the KeihinTohoku E233 as b-train bc I couldn't afford the Kato/Tomix version at that time (was using all the money that i didn't have to life and eat while doing an internship in Yokohama)... and then a 205 YokohamaLine... and then... you know bc they are cheap, there are a lot (at least back then) and so on. 

And now I shifted from full N-scale to Shorties (almost) entirely!

But anyways, welcome down here in the rabbit hole, haha!

BTW. I'm loving how the Shorty topic is so alive again these days. Just wish Bandai would do the same and continue producing some...

Edited by kami_illy