Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

14 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

Because if you mean this one, then this seems to have 4 pins, while my EF-64 shorty only has 2 holes per pantograph.

That's where the fun begins...!

The Kato pantos are usually (not all though) plug-and-play. For the ones from Tomix and others you'll have to drill 4 little holes in the roof or cut the pins of the pantos a little bit and glue them. It's some work but imo it is worth it. Looks so much better with real pantos. And running wheels, and better couplers, and ... and ...

21 hours ago, disturbman said:

Find the Kato equivalent?

I suppose, yeah.

7 hours ago, kami_illy said:

That's where the fun begins...!

The Kato pantos are usually (not all though) plug-and-play. For the ones from Tomix and others you'll have to drill 4 little holes in the roof or cut the pins of the pantos a little bit and glue them. It's some work but imo it is worth it. Looks so much better with real pantos. And running wheels, and better couplers, and ... and ...

I prefer not cutting things unless neccessary, so I guess I'll go for Kato ones, I was pretty satisfied with the Kato pantographs for my EMUs as well.

mags_minibuilds

Just wanted to share a couple of these videos I ran into on YouTube if this hasn't been posted before. He does an excellent job on the dioramas too. B-Train Shorties got even shorter!

• Like 3

They look so cute, lol. I've seen a few of these on the web by now and it's pretty funny.

Though I find EMU type trains look weird this way, but single motor cars and locos look really cute.

mags_minibuilds
21 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

They look so cute, lol. I've seen a few of these on the web by now and it's pretty funny.

Though I find EMU type trains look weird this way, but single motor cars and locos look really cute.

@Dinosbacsi have you seen any websites that show you the process of them cutting it shorter? I want to say I’ve seen it before but can’t recall where.

On 9/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, ZandT said:

@Dinosbacsi have you seen any websites that show you the process of them cutting it shorter? I want to say I’ve seen it before but can’t recall where.

I don't think so, I just remember seeing them, probably on YouTube videos, Instagram pictures, or something like that.

But it's just plastic, you can probably just cut through them in the middle with a cutter, then glue a rear wall on the back to finish them.

• Thanks 1
seventhskyline

Hi, long time viewer first time poster. I've got the E231, Keikyu 800 sets and the Toden 7000/7500 streetcars. My intention is to build a couple of diorama/vignette layouts, one for the streetcars (probably '60s-70s Toden-Arakawa inspired) and one for the commuter stuff (I was thinking maybe 2 scenes based on the Narita line and the northern end of the Keikyu e.g. Uraga).
I'm not terribly bothered by which truck sideframes I've got, so I'll probably get 11-106 power units and accompanying running trucks for the E231 and 800s at the least, but I'm a bit mystified as to what to do with the 7500 streetcars.
Do I have to find the Bandai #3/4 power units? Is there another option? The truck sideframe clearance (or lack of it) looks like it will rule out the Kato power units.

Edited by seventhskyline

For the streetcars. Bandai #3/4 would be your best choice. If the kit comes with the old wheels, they'll sit on the track just fine while you're looking for those power units.

wheels.thumb.jpg.901057af911101cdf5e1cf5e8b098035.jpg

I bought a KATO 11-108 2-axle tram power unit that I would try fitting under the streetcars with some cutting.

chibi-den_uni.thumb.jpg.f7b200237e03a4701242944f6ab7a61f.jpg

It's been a good while since I last ordered anything model train related (or anything in general, lol), but I got this the other day.

PblzgQn.jpg

I wanted something that's different from my 4 Chuo-Sobu trains but still fit the setting, so I found this junk 165 series for really cheap. I don't know if they ever ran on the actual Chuo-Sobu tracks, but I believe they did run in the area on the Chuo Line back in the day, and they stationed in the Mitaka depot, along with the Chuo-Sobu trains. So if I'm correct they sort-of fit the theme, while still giving some more color to my trains.

Poor thing came without undercarriages and a pantograph, but it did come with a second set of front cabs, with the smaller headlights. So I swapped them out real soon, as I didn't really like the look of the big headlights. And as for chassis, for now it got the old all plastic static ones that originally sat under my 205 trains. Then maybe I'll get some Kato mech under it in the future, because I want to try out the Kato stuff.

hIvo2SI.jpg

Z8WFTSP.jpg

Also got a pair of Kato pantographs for the EF64. As always, a great improvement.

te9zvFF.jpg

3uEnXIO.jpg

I should really get some more tracks now, and come up with a plan to actually fit the said more tracks onto my small shelf, as I'm out of track to put by trains onto.

8ewTY3h.jpg

• Like 3
On 10/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, disturbman said:

Honestly, @Dinosbacsi, you should really buy a Casco bookcase to store your Shorties. It will keep them protected from the dust, and the possible color bleaching.

I've been thinking about it, but I've never really been the kind of person to "store" my hobby stuff away. I mean while I like the idea of protecting them from the elements, I also like to a have them out on their places - like currently, all of them sitting in my little "yard". I also have my HotWheels collection out (and not in their original packaging, like many collectors do), or other display pieces like my two Portal turrets, my small Toyota AE86 collection, etc.

I know it's a bit weird, but honestly I wouldn't enjoy it if they were just sitting in a case "hidden" away (even if they're not actually hidden, but in a display case). I prefer them out in the open, even if it risks of them getting damaged or worn. Well anyway, who knows, maybe this mindset of mine will change in the future, especially if I end up getting even more trains and there will be no way I could have all of them on a single desk/shelf. Currently I'm mainly sticking to my Chuo-Sobu Line collection, but I probably will need to get actual storage if I ever get to start other collections, like JR West stuff or something.

• Like 1

Nice to have them out and enjoy them! I collected stamps when I was young and it use to get me how they were always put away and not out visible. I used to have a few frames that I could rotate a couple of dozen first day cover thru just so some would be seen more.

Jeff 

All valid points 🙂 It's nice to have beautiful things around. I also regularly display my trains. I was more thinking of putting those on the "sidings" away so long you are not running them. It's also nice to have a larger collection and rotating the ones you see.

7 hours ago, disturbman said:

It's also nice to have a larger collection and rotating the ones you see.

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. Currently I only have my Chuo-Sobu collection, but JR West stuff like Wakayama Line or Osaka Loop Line trains also have my interest. So if I ever stard a JR West colleciton, for example, then I could really have storage cases and decide which "collection" is on the layout - as I wouldn't want to mix "unmatching" trains on the same layout anyway.

Since a while the Kansai 103s nowadays on the Nara Line are growing in me. And some time ago I managed to buy a used green Kansai 103 set. And all the time I had the feeling something was off (especially bc I do not like the high cab window variant). Didn't really figure out what it was though... 

Now I was about to start detailing the set; installing pantos and globe ventilators and did a before photo and then it hit me 

2131835110_kami_illy-b-train30.thumb.jpg.c913ef95af1f9fafd6689babd34de45e.jpg

285072575_kami_illy-b-train31.thumb.jpg.6a0aa01ab707624bf235ef8ac0c84a53.jpg

Well, mystery solved. No idea why I didn't see that before. Maybe bc it never occurred to me that this could be an option... Anyways, now I know. So if anyone has a spare cab with a low window, I am willing to buy and/or trade 😁

But the upgrade of my weird 103 consist went well and I am happy with the result. Missing the stickers though, so again if anyone has some to share, hit me up.

1263064999_kami_illy-b-train33.thumb.jpg.952940700dcf19c57a06ea1d564303f4.jpg

1528125879_kami_illy-b-train34.thumb.jpg.003bbab01e03bab2538873088d3997a4.jpg

1889303615_kami_illy-b-train35.thumb.jpg.beb9fe9f8c36ded24412384c9c6c14da.jpg

Edited by kami_illy
begging for things
  • Like 2

And while I was on it, Some other trains got pantos too. Here the Meitetsu 2000. 

Before

1102526172_kami_illy-b-train28.thumb.jpg.d078a6f6a910d7fbb0aed4e32cbdec31.jpg

And after

1801615325_kami_illy-b-train29.thumb.jpg.20974fb3c1733b3fd285d718da95d59c.jpg

of course the second one got changed as well, just forgot to do a photo then. 

• Like 3
On 12/19/2021 at 11:48 PM, kami_illy said:

Since a while the Kansai 103s nowadays on the Nara Line are growing in me. And some time ago I managed to buy a used green Kansai 103 set. And all the time I had the feeling something was off (especially bc I do not like the high cab window variant). Didn't really figure out what it was though... 

Now I was about to start detailing the set; installing pantos and globe ventilators and did a before photo and then it hit me 

2131835110_kami_illy-b-train30.thumb.jpg.c913ef95af1f9fafd6689babd34de45e.jpg

285072575_kami_illy-b-train31.thumb.jpg.6a0aa01ab707624bf235ef8ac0c84a53.jpg

Well, mystery solved. No idea why I didn't see that before. Maybe bc it never occurred to me that this could be an option... Anyways, now I know. So if anyone has a spare cab with a low window, I am willing to buy and/or trade 😁

But the upgrade of my weird 103 consist went well and I am happy with the result. Missing the stickers though, so again if anyone has some to share, hit me up.

1263064999_kami_illy-b-train33.thumb.jpg.952940700dcf19c57a06ea1d564303f4.jpg

1528125879_kami_illy-b-train34.thumb.jpg.003bbab01e03bab2538873088d3997a4.jpg

1889303615_kami_illy-b-train35.thumb.jpg.beb9fe9f8c36ded24412384c9c6c14da.jpg

I also really love the look of the green 103s (I used to drive it a lot in Train Simulator on the Wakayama Line), great job with it!

Is this a "modernised" version of the 103, by the way? Judging by the frameless windshield (not divided into 3 parts) and the trimless headlights.

• Like 1

Looks nice!

I'm not planning on building actual dioramas yet, but would be nice to try it out sometimes. In the meantime, I'm thinking about at least placing some backdrop images on the back of my desk shelf layout. Any recommendations? Pre-made ones from stores seem pretty expensive, should I just try and make one myself from random photos on the internet?

After ordering in some Kato bogies for B-train units from Hobby Search last month I have now realised that I should have ordered some pantographs also! Nil disperandum I still need advice on what type(s)/Brands are the most suitable. Can anyone make recommendations??? Thanks. 

I use Tomix pantographs.  I think the Hobby Search entries for the cars sometimes recommends which one to get.  I also check on Japanese Wikipedia where the train entries have a wealth of details and see what the actual pantographs are for each train type; then see if Tomix makes that type, else find something visually similar.

I use a pin vice to drill little holes in the roof to set the pantograph legs into.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Cat said:

I use Tomix pantographs.  I think the Hobby Search entries for the cars sometimes recommends which one to get.  I also check on Japanese Wikipedia where the train entries have a wealth of details and see what the actual pantographs are for each train type; then see if Tomix makes that type, else find something visually similar.

I use a pin vice to drill little holes in the roof to set the pantograph legs into.

Thank-you for the information. I am not particularly fussed about prototype matching as my modules are generic in nature and some B-Train units will be repainted to match some Australian prototype suburban railways paint schemes.

29 minutes ago, Andrew G said:

Thank-you for the information. I am not particularly fussed about prototype matching as my modules are generic in nature and some B-Train units will be repainted to match some Australian prototype suburban railways paint schemes.

Well, that makes it easier then — just search the in-stock Tomix pantos and choose the ones that you like the look of!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Andrew G said:

I still need advice on what type(s)/Brands are the most suitable. Can anyone make recommendations??? Thanks. 

I recommend Kato ones, as they have 2-pin variants that match the two holes on the top of B Train Shorties.

For example, I believe I used these for my trains (103, 201 and 205 series), should be good for most EMUs:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003615

Whichever type you go for (diamond, single arm, etc), check how many holes your trains have on their roof and in which arrangement, and try to find pantographs with the same hole.

• Like 3
On 8/10/2021 at 6:23 PM, Andrew G said:

A parcel of delights arrived today from ZenMarket. My last planned purchase of B Train items except for chassis and bogies. I'm hoping that I can fit USA prototype bogies from collection of spares to the tank and container flat wagons to save a few dollars.

20210810_115605.jpg

20210810_122401.jpg

Well, after playing around a bit I am sort of giving up on trying some modifications to these wagons and sone USA bogies. Could someone recommend the best Kato bogies to get these tank wagons and container flats out on the rail?? Thanks in advance.