Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

Oh, and for the folks who are new to hunting for B-Trains, Mandarake usually has an assortment of 2nd hand (but typically new in box) models in stock at very good prices.  I've picked up a number of OOP items from them:
https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/list?page=1&soldOut=1&keyword=b-train shorty&lang=en

Unlike HLJ or 1999, Mandarake's stock is likely to have different items available from time to time, so it's always worth checking them once in a while.

Edited by Cat
  • Like 2

Thanks for the link. Twilight Express B set for 8,000 is pretty good considering sellers on YAJ only sell them with A set. I still need two more B sets to build a full consist, but I really don't want to pay 8,000 for a single car.😅

• Like 1

Oh, those are really nice prices. Will definitely keep checking it out once in a while. They ship globally, I hope?

Also I couldn't help myself and ordered a 4-car 201 series in Chuo-Sobu Line colors from YAJ via FromJapan. I love that yellow shade and it will go well along my also Chuo-Sobu Line 205 series. Obviously it's used and it's just the cars, without stickers and the extra parts, but I probably wouldn't use those anyway. I still have the spare couplers from the 205 series to use with it. And the 4 cars were half the price of what I originally paid for a 2-car 205 series box, so it was a really nice value. Will post pictures of it when it arrives.

11 minutes ago, Dinosbacsi said:

Oh, those are really nice prices. Will definitely keep checking it out once in a while. They ship globally, I hope?

Yes.  Currently DHL Express; in non-covid inexpensive airmail SAL small packet.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:16 PM, Cat said:

Oh, and for the folks who are new to hunting for B-Trains, Mandarake usually has an assortment of 2nd hand (but typically new in box) models in stock at very good prices.  I've picked up a number of OOP items from them:
https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/list?page=1&soldOut=1&keyword=b-train shorty&lang=en

Unlike HLJ or 1999, Mandarake's stock is likely to have different items available from time to time, so it's always worth checking them once in a while.

This is a great website thank you!

I'm pausing my purchases for a short time while I consolidate what I have and build up my layout but I'll be on there scouring for treats before too long I imagine!

• Like 1
mags_minibuilds

I'm so glad to have found this thread! A couple years ago I bought two sets of B-Train Shorty trains in Japan and it's not until now I want to find the motorized chassis for them. I have the instructions for the 8000 series, which lists 3 different types of motorized chassis and bogies, which is the appropriate one? For the Enoden train, I don't have the instructions for. Can you tell if the Enoden train has all the parts for it to run when a motorized chassis is added? Thanks! 

enoden.jpg

8000series.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7404.jpg

For the 8000, Commuter 1s could work. (KATO 11-099 and 11-105). For the Enoden, I've seen people hacked it, let me see if I can find a video of that.

mags_minibuilds

Thank you @lukewang01! Which Kato motorized chassis and bogie would be suitable for the Enoden? The video shows the Bandai ones. And does the Kato 11-099 bogies always come in a pair? I searched on the web and some shows it’s in a package of 2 and some just 1.

Edited by ZandT

KATO bogie comes in pairs, with each bag you got two. The thing with KATO bogies is they'll look close but they will never be the exact one unless on 485, or E231 ,etc. If you're a perfectionist, it will bug you. 11-106 and 11-098 looks close engough for Enoden. But I'm not sure to what extent you'll need to modify the KATO power unit or the body to have them fit since it's a Jacobs bogie in the middle. 

Edited by lukewang01
  • Thanks 1

Basically it looks like the power unit fits into place perfectly, you only have to remove the coupler from the bogey that will go into the middle. From the video it looks like she cuts the coupler off, but I think it would work without cutting as well, shouldn't it?

The process would probably work with a Kato power unit and bogey as well, but as lukewang said, you can't change the bogey cover on those. And I wonder if the bogey would stay inside, as I've read that certain original Bandai chassis don't hold Kato bogey properly and they fall out if the car is lifted? But even if that's the case, that could be solved with a small washer in place or something, right?

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Dinosbacsi said:

I've read that certain original Bandai chassis don't hold Kato bogey properly and they fall out if the car is lifted? But even if that's the case, that could be solved with a small washer in place or something, right?

That's the extremely old ones, those square ones can't hold KATO bogies very well. And as disturbman says, you can print a lot and play around with it. 

Square.png.8bee0047e884788b8be480ae6eae522d.png

I'm happy to report that my Bandai power unit from YAJ finally arrived ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I finally have a working 4 car set, all that's left is for the power cable for my Kato Power Pack to arrive, which should be next week.

I do have a few questions though, if anyone can answer me.

First off, the shell of the car seems to be not 100% tight on the power unit chassis, it has some slack in both horizontal and vertical directions, even though the other three cars sit perfectly thight on the free-rolling chassises, with no free movement whatsoever. Is that normal? Or what might be the reason for the power unit chassis not holding the car body properly?

spacer.png

Secondly, I noticed that the bogey-covers sit a bit too high on the free-rolling chassises. It's hard to see, but the left is the power unit chassis, and the right is the free-rolling chassis. You can see that more of the bottom of the wheel is visible on the right, as the bogey covers apparently sit a bit higher on them. This is clearly visible on all 3 trailer cars, even though they were in the correct position on the original display chassis and apparently they are in the correct position on the motorizes chassis as well. So anyone knows why this might be?

spacer.png

And at last, can anyone help me how to install the small weights that came with the power unit? These instructions were included, but the picture is not clear to me, as to where the weights are supposed to go. They all have specific shapes, so I suppose they all have their places where they fit nicely, but I couldn't figure it out.

Edited by Dinosbacsi

You can put some mounting putty on the clips to solve the slacks, some are loose some are tight. I haven't needed any weight yet, these Bandai power units are pretty powerful. I have one pulling seven cars and it still flies down the track. 

Maybe I'll try that, thanks. Though it's not that big of a deal, you won't even notice it until you hold the car in your hands, I was just surprised by it. As for the weight, I'll see how it runs then. If no problems, then I'll not bother with them.

mags_minibuilds

I'm new to the Kato lineup and its tracks. What is the smallest circle and oval layout that I can possibly create to run the Bandai B-Train Shorty trains? I don't need the controller (will be making my own PWM) so I don't plan on purchasing a starter set. If you can provide Kato product numbers as well, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Kato Unitrack compact oval set (20-890) is also a great kit for Shorties, it's R150mm turns with a few straight pieces. That's what I started with anyway for now.

What are they like? I know Kato also has a pair of compact R150mm turnouts, but they're 45° so you're rather limited with them.

As mentioned in the other thread, my Chuo-Sobu 201 series arrived today so my 205 series finally have a friend.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They look so great together, don't you think? I really love the full-yellow body of the 201. Sadly it didn't come with any extra parts or stickers, but I had some spare couplers that originally came with the 205, and I wonder if I could use the 2 remaining windshield stickers from the 205's sticker sheet to put on the 201? I think they should fit, it may worth a try.

I'm already thinking about getting a proper running gear under it. I havn't taken it apart yet, but this is a one-piece chassis, right? So these original bogeys should be able to come off and be replaced by Bandai or Kato bogeys?

spacer.png

• Like 1

Would you mind getting a picture without those bogies? From the style of that bogie, I'm afraid that chassis might only work with Bandai truck-T because the hole is slightly too large for KATO bogies.