Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

I'm quite lucky with the rubbing problem. Printer would print a circle around the hole if properly printed, and friction with plastic on plastic in this scenario is just not that much. But, I've only ran it on R 315 KATO curves with no problem. I'm curious to see how well it's going to do on R 103 Tomix curve as the limit for B train is in the R 70 range. 

Finally got two almost perfect chassis. Bogies will pivot by itself when I held it up and gently shook it, and they didn't fall out. Dimensions are on point!

• Like 2

With arc slots added.

slot.thumb.png.eacb98ec619f5c14424c532216a82dcd.png

I have one question. I apologize if this had been asked too many times. When I go through HS, I usually see those 2 pages of B-trains in-stock with release date ranging all the way from 2014 to 2017. When they are sold out, they get restocked relatively quickly, but it's always those same ones that are getting restocked. My question is: are those just some old stocks flowing around, or is Bandai currently just producing those ones? Would there ever be a chance to see some other old items getting a rerun? 

roadstar_na6
25 minutes ago, lukewang01 said:

Would there ever be a chance to see some other old items getting a rerun? 

99% sure Bandai abandoned Shorties and unless something like a change of company strategy happens they won‘t come back unfortunately.

Restocking items are probably just Bandai or other wholesalers getting rid of dead stock from their warehouses I guess.

• Like 1

i dont think they have totally abandoned it but cut it way back and not doing a lot of the parts production at all for a while. here. they were always really bad about producing a good quantity of the trucks and chassis and mechs. they churned out the models like mad! they obviously were going to do lighting kits but never got that out there. it was a bit of a fad that caught them by surprise as it was to be a kids toy thing and then adults took off with it. it spanned the collection, click together, cute, and model train worlds well.

but i would not hold your breath for reruns here at all. for older stuff its mainly yahoo japan to find these and there is a fair number there as btrains were quite big in japan for a number of years so a lot still floating around.

also check hobby link japan, they seem to still be stocking or can get a number of btrains.

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=btrain

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea on how to improve the look of 'bogie' on EF 510? I'm not a big fan of the 2-axle design, and I also want to run them on tracks. I know for later products EF81, EF65, and ED79 they used 4-axle design and you can use Running Truck-F to run it. I was thinking about putting KATO Express Train 1 bogie under there, but I feel like that's going to look like someone who skipped leg day.

9 hours ago, lukewang01 said:

Does anyone have any idea on how to improve the look of 'bogie' on EF 510? ... but I feel like that's going to look like someone who skipped leg day.

On my EF510 I used the Bandai power chassis with the bogie covers of a modern commuter (i think it was E233 series). To me it looks ok and fits more or less the prototypical ones. 

1775069071_Bildschirmfoto2020-11-10um14_59_31.thumb.png.99a2eaea8d36b46c1d0b82fcd4be449f.png

The ones on the ED don't really fit, but didn't have anything better at that time..

• Like 2

It actually looks pretty good, I guess the Youtube video I saw was just taken from a really bad angle. It's going to need some cutting on both locomotive and power chassis right? Since locomotives are shorter.

17 hours ago, lukewang01 said:

It's going to need some cutting on both locomotive and power chassis right? Since locomotives are shorter.

Here I shortly documented my conversion efforts. But as (almost) always, there is a lot of different ways to get there. 

I think you only need to cut some parts of the main support structure of the loco. Since i used the Power Unit 5 I only had to cut things to adjust to the skirts (with unit 3 you'll have to get rid of some hooks as well). And you'll have to cut the opening in the skirts as well to make room for the couplers to move with the bogie. 

Never used the Kato ones, they look too "true to scale" for my taste which makes them look like running on skinny legs. 

Edited by kami_illy
added info
  • Like 3

Show me your DE10 and DD51 please.

I’m looking for a small shunting loco to operate in a small yard and think the full size models are a bit overkill.  So I’m considering using a shorty on a non-shorty layout.  It won’t be prototypical but with the right modelling it might just work.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:05 AM, kami_illy said:

On my EF510 I used the Bandai power chassis with the bogie covers of a modern commuter (i think it was E233 series). To me it looks ok and fits more or less the prototypical ones. 

The ones on the ED don't really fit, but didn't have anything better at that time..

I might have missed where folks are specifying their power chassis. Which Bandai chassis are you using? Aside from ebay i'm seeing the Kato 2 axles on 1999 and plaza. I just ordered a EF65-500 shorty and would like to get a 4 axle motor on it.

Did you ordered this one?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10407035

If so. If you are going to run passenger cars, you can use running truck F for it and put power unit somewhere in the cars.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10201451

If you are going to run freight, you can modify the shorty to fit a 4 axle bandai power chassis, but the side for the bogie came with the box will not be able to fit on the power chassis since they have different insert design. Someone more knowledgeable than me can fill in the details.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, madmotts said:

I might have missed where folks are specifying their power chassis. Which Bandai chassis are you using? 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:49 AM, kami_illy said:

Since i used the Power Unit 5 I only had to cut things to adjust to the skirts ...

For the locos I used the Number 5 chassis (Bandai Power Unit 5) but the number 3 could also work (could need some more cutting and adjusting though).

The different 4-axle Units are basically the same if I am not mistaken. The difference between No.3 and No.5 is mainly the little clips with which you attach them to the bodies of the locos, EMUs, ... No.4 is for trams and doesn't have couplers. 

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm new to N gauge and B-Train Shorties all at once.  I really liked the beige/red 381 series train so picked that up...but of course it has the two part chassis.

lukewang01 - very pleased to see someone 3D print the one piece chassis!  That would make life much easier.  Can you tell me what diameter holes you have created for the KATO bogies?  Measuring by eye it looks like it would need to be 2.5mm?

I am considering trying to make a chassis from scratch in the meantime (or even from the two part chassis).

• Like 1

It's 0.1125 inch (2.8575 mm so preferably 2.86mm) diameter. A caliper is always handy for this situation. Feel free to message me if you need any help. 

Here's our pair of DD51s with Bandai #5 chassis.  Haven't built the DE10 yet. 

The Joyful Train in Euroliner colours now has an Oarai Senshado logo and is in special service on the Kashima Rinkai Line hauling tanks to the next match!

DD51s.jpeg

• Like 3

It's not intended for commercial purposes, so please don't use it for commercial purposes! If you see it somewhere else on the internet not from me, please help me taking it down. 

I have created a drawing of my 3D printed chassis. Some dimensions will seem odd for professionals due to the way I took certain measurements, and I apologize for that. It would help me a lot if I can also get some advice for my drawing from a professional perspective as I'm still learning these stuff. 

I need to think about whether or not to release the .STL file for printing as I don't want to get into trouble, so let me know what you guys think. 

Also, let me know if I missed any dimensions. 

There is an updated version of the drawing, please check later posts. 

Edited by lukewang01
Newer Drawing Completed
  • Like 2

Gonna keep me busy for a bit. I have to say I'm really impressed how well Zen market is able to pack everything well individually and not using a gigantic box. 

Zenm.png

• Like 3

I used the chassis it came with and popped 2 truck-T in it along with the sides from NT-200. Also cut the front skirt wider and now it can run through C-103 with cars no problem. 

EF510.png

• Like 3
On 11/21/2020 at 5:22 PM, lukewang01 said:

Gonna keep me busy for a bit. I have to say I'm really impressed how well Zen market is able to pack everything well individually and not using a gigantic box. 

Zenm.png

Is that a pair of Odakyu 70000's, how did you find them ?

Hi everyone, new here.

Don't know much about trains but I did some research and came upon these Bandai B-trains. I bought a few along with some kato parts to motorize them. 

Right now working with a Bandai E231 (https://www.hlj.com/e231-series-joban-line-2-units-set-ban993693) and a Kato 11-107 and Kato 11-097 trucks. I can get the car to fit over the 11-107 no problem but I don't see how the 11-097 trucks fit. Been reading this thread about Bandai changing the chassis and all that so I'm looking for some help. 

I saw the custom 3d printed chassis someone made with 2 holes. Do the little plastic clips on the truck insert into those holes? 

Thanks