Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

Post here if you plan to participate.  If you have a plan, a brief description would be nice.

Sign up will last until July 15th - at which time those signed up will be given their "in progress" and "discussion" threads.

Once you sign up - feel free to start gathering materials and working on a sketch/diagram of your project that you can post on July 16th for the launch!

Just remember - station construction should not start until July 16th, but any prep/ordering is fair game starting now!

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I will most certainly be participating! 

Trying to decide between a very rural.. possibly steam era feel or modern urban/suburban look..

Jon

Darren Jeffries

I'm on board....

My entry will be a bus station that i can easily slot into a 12 inch by 12 inch area in my layout (when i eventually build one!!! :grin)

My station will include some small shops, waiting area and at least one taxi stand. It will be modern era. Now to find some pics of a medium sized bus station.....

Martijn Meerts

I'm in =)

I'll use the same idea I had for the 1st project party, but never got around to building due to lack of required materials.

Going for a 40x30cm diorama of a double track tram line with small stop. Crossing the tram track will be a bit of elevated track showing the end of a small shinkansen (probably) stop.

Will be using Tomix track, Tomix tram accessories pack, Tomix elevated station and random other stuff. Station building will need to be shortened to fit on the diorama. Everything will also be lit, and the track will be live to make it possible to take pictures of trains with lights on etc.

The important question though, who do I bribe so I'll win, since I'll never be able to finish the entire diorama in 8 weeks  :grin

I'm in!  My model is for my "Shintahara" layout and will be in T-Gauge.  Track will be Eishindo with a scratchbuilt station.  The scene is a small town station on a dual track mainline with a branch line.  People and such are hoped for, but I'm aiming for the track and station area to start, as well as some mainline trains to meet my KiHa 40 :D

Working on sketches now :)

I need clarification of "The area being judged is the station itself and the grounds on which it sits."  Does that mean you can't build the topography/track in advance, or just that the scenery around the station is part of what's being judged?

The reason I ask is that I have one station on the current layout left to start construction on, and I started the topography six months ago, and am planning to get that (foam and plaster) and the roadbed/track in place next week (I'm on vacation, and am looking forward to some serious layout building time).  My intent had been to build the platforms (which are going to be either scratchbuilt or kitbashed, but complicated as adjacent tracks are at different levels) and some kind of station entry building (likely a kitbash), as well as station details (signals, fencing, signage) for the contest, but to have the ground it sits on and the track in place beforehand.

Also of note: the "station" in question is the one on the tracks on the back side of the river in my Riverside Station scene. The same table also includes a subway station in front of the river, but work on that started weeks ago, and it's not included in my contest entry.

So, would that be acceptable, or does the station need to start from a clean or near-clean slate?

Here's what it looks like today, but more foam and paint is coming soon:

post-264-13569925015012_thumb.jpg

SONIC883_de

I'm in

I will try some scratchbuild techniques on a size of a A5 paper.

Theme would be a 'tram diorama' (I only have some enoden stuff) maybe with a litte bus stop

I need clarification of "The area being judged is the station itself and the grounds on which it sits."  Does that mean you can't build the topography/track in advance, or just that the scenery around the station is part of what's being judged?

You're fine. We're mostly looking at the station itself. When we look at the area around the station, it's the finishing touches and attention to detail for the scenery we'd look at. Having the topography done ahead of time is okay - if you're scenery was already completely tricked out and all you had left to do was drop a Kato station on top of it, then there might be an issue.

Glad to have you aboard :)

tsubasa119

I'm in. I have been a lurked here for a while, this is my first post!

Not sure what I am going to do as yet.

Looking forward to participating.

I'll have to stock up on goodies when I am in Japan in August!

Regards,

Allastair

Hi guys

Been away a while. (how come life gets in the way of trains?). This looks like a fun project and I have to have a station so count me in.

In terms of what I'm going to do is build and detail a four track suburban station based on my kato modern station and extension.  The plan will be to ultimately incorporate this into my future portable passenger train layout that I hope to be able to fit in the car and exhibit

Graham

CaptOblivious

Oh, what the hell. I'm in. I'm going to put Grant's images of Akihabara Station to good use, and start modeling bits of it. I suspect that my project will involve taking stock Tomix platforms, and kitbashing them (with my kithammer) until they look like the real thing. So, there will be no grounds in which my model will sit; that is itself an extensive project…

I'm in. My plan, as mentioned above, is to build a station for my commuter line, where it branches to join the subway line, so there are four tracks, with two ascending a 2% grade and two descending a 2% grade.  I'm going to build/kitbash platforms to fit the confined space between the tracks, and do some kind of station entrance building, as well as in-station details (signs, signals, etc).

This is shaping up to be a very interesting contest.  The idea of a "station" is a very open-ended one, and allows for both big and small projects. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work.

I'm in. If I disclose any info... you will all be exterminated. EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE! (Likes to who gets this and from what.)

Darren Jeffries

red-dalek-promo.jpg

Not really sure it fits in with my bus station... maybe a novel phone booth, or public toilet! :grin

• Like 1

Damn, I will be so busy with cars till the end of the Drag racing Season- September/October as I have been asked to pit crew for a friend.

disturbman
EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE!

The most annoying thing ever. If only they could come up with some new arch ennemies and forget about the Daleks. Can't stand them anymore. But hell, I really like the last Doctor (and miss Pond for that matter) he's on par with David Tennant.

Almost forgot that I had to sign myself up for this.

This is my first time ever building anything related to a model railroad, or in this scale, so it will be an interesting exercise :) Before starting on a large permanent layout, I'm building a small tram layout for testing purposes. It's 2' by 3', with an Enoden-inspired single track line. The relevant bit for the project party is a station built at the passing siding, which will be a pair of single sided platforms. This station will be scratch built, and I will be playing around with LEDs and relays for lighting an animation.

Quite possibly over-ambitious for a first-timer on a timeline, but we'll see.

marknewton

I've signed on to the last two projects, but barely managed to achieve anything for either, due to work commitments. I'm hoping it'll be third time lucky for this one. I have a Sankei station kit that will be a good starting point.

Cheers,

Mark.

serenityFan

I will also put my name in the hat. My main layout project has basically stalled (again) so this will be a good chance get back in to it. Still considering what to do for this project, probably a small diorama with a station in it.

Count me in as well. I have gathered all the things I need for my plan, except for the base of the layout. As I said before in another thread, It's going to be a module with 280x280mm dimensions, Tomix track in the middle and a sub-urban/small town setting with a small shopping street ('cuz I just received the Machinami R3 box) and maybe some agricultural stuff on the side... The overall feeling will be Tomytec as these buildings dominate my real-estate collection at the moment.

I might as well sign up, though my project won't be as interesting or impressive. I'm still busy with my steam layout, so my "project" will be to get off my butt and do all the detailing I want for my suburban station - right now the only thing done besides taking the pieces out of the box was attaching the fences (which I'll need to unglue if I'm going to paint them a more interesting color then plastic grey). Detailing will likely be to paint/weather the components, add the included details as well as scratch build some of my own, some dirt and weeds at the track level (maybe weather the track, maybe-maybe try ballasting it). Adding passengers to the platform sounds like a good idea, I just don't know if I have the resources to do it right now.

Darklighter

I would like to participate, too. I'll build a (sub-)urban private railway station that will be part of a T-Trakish modular layout.

I'm delighted to see this much interest in the party. Only two more days to sign up! We'll have to keep the thread in the recent posts, so stragglers will notice.