Kyushu Train

Guest ___

Can anyone tell me what these units are. I saw them running in single diesel, DMU and as EMU configuration while in Miyazaki, but can't find for the life of me what series these things are. I think one of them is called a class 415 &  475 respectably, but since they came in both electric and diesel I'm not sure which is what.

450px-JR_Kyushu_series_415_FK515_at_Sendai_station_Kagoshima_prefecture_Japan.jpg

Temp picture, till I get around to uploading some in to the gallery. Note this is not one of mine, but it is the same model and color livery as what I was watching for a week in Miyazaki.

There are literally dozens of similar types all over Japan in various liveries. With such a small photo and small part of the train it's impossible to tell.

CaptOblivious

Nvmd, the EMU are class 415, so the DMU's must be 475. (Thanks for the PM, Matt)

Could you expand on why this is? Does JR Kyushu use a particular numbering scheme you could shed light on?

I can't figure it out. Capt. I've cleaned up and clarified my original post at the top a bit as some mreo information flowed in from other sources. Though I'm still confused as all hell about JR Kyushu's fleet.

A buddy of mine who is on here, Matt, PM'ed me and said the 415's are all electric and 475s are diesel. I'm looking at my pictures. And I see the 410's are diesel single units, but then the 412, 413, 415 and 420 classes are EMU. Then there are 475s that are DMU's, but then there are both DMU and EMU that are numbered 40-

JR Kyushu's numbering feels different than JR East and JR West. But all the research I've done, and from what I can gather from the half a dozen Japanese railfans I personally know only say there are the two classes. Everything is one or the other. Ack, I just let my J-buddies battle it all out on their forum and figure it out from there.

alpineaustralia

I know nothing about these trains but my trusty Kato catalog (page 96 of the Archives catalog) has an identical white train (down to the finest detail) and refers to it as a 415 .

475s are also electrics - these are ordinary expresses rather than commuter trains. On Kyushu, many or all of them were repainted in the JNR red and cream scheme, and they were retired in 2007.

JR Kyushu also has 715s and 719s which have a similar appearance.

The DMUs painted in this scheme would be Kiha 40s or Kiha 67s.

As the previous posts stated, there isn't really enough detail in the photo to tell, but this is probably a 415.

Hope this helps...

Philip.

I was just there this past April, but can't for the life of me tell them apart. From what I Saw we have the cream w/ blue stripes. Then there are the yellow units, the all red units, and then there were some painted in yellow, red and blue for the zoo special. I've seen the DMU in both the solid red, and the cream w/ blue striping.