Hobby Search

I've read on here quite a few people as well as several other J-train groups on yahoo I am on buys through Hobby Search. What is the experience like using them? I have never used them, but on top of my Z-scale stuff, I'm going to build an N-scale layout in the near future,. (Assuming I can make room for it if "She Who Must Be Obeyed" and the cat will go for it. I'm looking to try other sources than a local dealer.

I'll second the Capt. Great service very quick shipping and reliable. Make sure you join the members points club, you gain points when you purchase items that can be applied for other items or shipping.

As for the cat, getting on the layout there are a couple of things you can do to prevent this but I can't remember off hand. What works for me is a door to my layout room.

I use to just run an engine in to her and that solved that, but she's old and lazy and running an old HO Bachman into her doesn't work anymore, she just ignores the engine and gives me a nasty look.

Guess, I best buy my E231 Yamanote set once PlazaJapan re-opens next week.

Ordered my Yamanote Line E-231 set last night from Hobby Search. Building up my fleet in anticipation for the Chou and Joban Line E231 release coming up.

CaptOblivious

They do; the website says that they were all on vacation from 13 to 17 August, which likely explains why you haven't heard from them :D

Wonder if they are backlogged then. I placed an order with them on the 16 at 0600, and here it is the 19th and about 2000 their time. All I see under order status is:Ready to preparing

Date  Status  Details  Office  Prefecture

ZIP code

Aug 20

15:00 Posting/Collection  

ASAKUSA Branch

Tokyo metropolis

111-8799

Aug 21

3:54 Arrival at outward office of exchange  

TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Branch

Tokyo metropolis

138-8799

Aug 21

4:21 Dispatch from outward office of exchange  

TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Branch

Tokyo metropolis

138-8799

Aug 21

18:32 Arrival at inward office of exchange   AMC JFK NY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Aug 22

10:41 Processing at delivery Post Office   21731 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Aug 22 Absence. Attempted delivery.   21731 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Crap, it moved from the shop to my PO faster than it took for them to receive the email order and pack it!!

CaptOblivious

I love EMS! I get packages from Japan in less time than regular first-class mail from within my own city.

I also love EMS, even though it is more expensive.

On one of my oders I received it in 2 days. I couldn't believe it came all the way from Japan.

Martijn Meerts

I like most of the courier services. EMS, UPS, and especially FedEx. I ordered some stuff from America a long time ago and had it shipped with FedEx. It actually arrived at my doorstep the very next day ;)

Something related to shipping, although not related to trains... When I ordered my Mac Pro, I got free shipping (makes sense considering the price of the machine ;)) The thing is, Apple will use the cheapest possible shipping service, they don't even give you an option to pay extra for some express service. In the end, it took 2 *WEEKS* before I got my Mac Pro, and that one was sent from The Netherlands to Norway, which isn't even 1000 miles =)

Sadly, I forgot about Oban, which explains why Ken and Yumiko have been spending so much time emailing me this past week. These 60 hour work weeks have resulted in forgetting about our own holidays. Didn't even realize Labor Day is week till I got the memo last night. Pretty unlikely I'm going to remember the Japanese holidays if I can't remember my own.

I use to get a lot of EMS packages from Osaka when I restored my scooter five years ago.

Hobby Search (and indeed EMS) are great - orders take roughly a week to get to the UK, maybe a little less. They have items that you just can't get in the UK, and very good prices.

I hate to say this but my order IMO with Plaza has been a major disappointment as they shipped my T-guage stuff SAL. The track set and trains shipped together over three weeks ago. The tracks arrived Monday, but the train sets are MIA. I may try Plaza one more time and have everything shipped EMS, but as it stands 90% of everything has been with HobbySearch and while they seem a tad slow to get the orders out the door, the arrival time via EMS more than makes up for it. Just ordered another 300 bucks from them tonight.

I hate to say this but my order IMO with Plaza has been a major disappointment as they shipped my T-guage stuff SAL. The track set and trains shipped together over three weeks ago. The tracks arrived Monday, but the train sets are MIA. I may try Plaza one more time and have everything shipped EMS, but as it stands 90% of everything has been with HobbySearch and while they seem a tad slow to get the orders out the door, the arrival time via EMS more than makes up for it. Just ordered another 300 bucks from them tonight.

T-gauge trains arrived today from Plaza. It's going to be EMS from here on out, and to hell with SAL.

i always get EMS from plaza without even asking.

i just got my order from hobbysearch today, EMS is sooo fast.

i swear, i checked it the other night it said it was in tokyo for processing.

the next day its at my door.