Visits to Stockholm

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

Over the course of the year, I have made three visits to Stockholm for work purposes. Owing to the nature of my visits, I have not had much time to check out the local trains; however last week I had the twin benefits of being there on my own and being there during the summer.

Here is a slection of pictures taken mainly last week, although a couple are from March when it was still very cold and snowy. I'm not an expert on Swedish trains, so have no ideas what they are.

Part 1

These were taken from the Arlanda Express on the inbound journey, hence a couple not being of spectacular quality...

post-141-13569924808081_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924808465_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924808606_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924808809_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924809208_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Claude_Dreyfus

Part 2

These pictures come from the south of Stockholm Central station mainly on the two viaducts passing Gamla Stan

post-141-13569924836888_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924837302_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924837722_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924838092_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924838501_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924839001_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924839444_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924839831_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
quinntopia

Hey...are those buildings by Kibri? ;-)

More seriously, thanks for sharing Claude!  Some of those electrics are recognizable (don't know the class, but they sure look a lot like DB locomotives), but the EMU's and the varying paint schemes are all very interesting!  Looks like very interesting scenery as well!

bikkuri bahn

Yes, some of those shunters look like DB types.  I see a couple of historic electric locos in the loco shed picture too (Class F and RA?).  Nice green(?) paint on the RC types- I'm a sucker for conservative paint schemes.

Some comments about your Stockholm pictures:

Locos on shed:  Hagalund depot, mainly used by SJ (the largest passenger operator).

From left:

Grey/Red: SJ Rc for traffic to Northern Sweden, owned by the government's vechicle pool authority Statens Järnvägar (not to be confused with the operator SJ!!!)

Black: SJ Rc, current livery

Blå/Red: SJ, old livery

Brown: Good oldie F 701, owned by SKÅJ, a preservation society (build in 1949)

Rad: Ra 994, also owned by SKÅJ (built 1961)

Yards:

Tomteboda freight yard north of Stockholm, next to the Stockholm mail terminal.

Both the electric RC-locos as the diesel T44:s belong to Green Cargo, the largest freight operator.

• Like 2

Swedish loco: SJ Rc6 - used for Intercity passenger trains. In the background SL (Stockholm Transport) X61 used for commuter trains in the Stockholm Region.

Loco crossing bridge: Green Cargo Rc - used for freight trains. Still old SJ livery (blue/red) since the time SJ also had freight. Will be repainted into the GREEN Cargo livery.

Commuter set:

SL X61. The steamer (!) Drottningholm is built in 1909. Runs between Stockholm city and the royal castle at Drottningholm. ("Queen's islet").

Double-decker unit:

SJ X40 used for medium-distance trains (1-2 hours ride) in middle Sweden.

To the left of the trains, you could see the platforms of Gamla Stan subway station.

To the right, a sign for "Citybanan", the new underground railway built for the commuter trains, ready in 2017 or something like that.

• Like 1

Push-pull driving trailer:

SJ X2 - used for SJ X2000-trains, long-distance trains with few stops. Tilting trains with maximum speed of 200 km/h. Modern when they came, feels now a bit old.

Subway train with Gamla Stan and Djurgården: The modern type - C20. All trains on the green line are C20:s, if you want to see the old ones, you have to ride red or blue lines.

Thanks Claude_Dreyfus for posting these pictures from my home town. If any JNS Forum member would like to get information about Sweden or some guiding in Stockholm, please don't hesitate to contact me.

• Like 1

Thanks Claude for posting, and Göran for explaining--this is a great thread.

FWIW, Amtrak's AEM-7 is an exported version of the SJ Rc.

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks for the explanations...they really are useful and informative!

Fortunately the office I was working in is a two minutes walk from from the station, and my hotel - the Nordic Light - was less than a minute from the Arlanda Express platforms.

That viaduct to the south of Stockholm Central is an excellent photo and train watching location. I did note that as it was getting dark - too dark to photograph sadly :sad: - a number of short mail trains were running; four or five carriages. Also a number of loco-hauled passengers passed to the south at about the same time.

Stockholm is a great city, with plenty of variety...there is also a very nice tourist tram line running some old tram sets...these pictures date from a visit last summer... 

post-141-13569924841942_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924842465_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924842869_thumb.jpg

If any JNS Forum member would like to get information about Sweden or some guiding in Stockholm, please don't hesitate to contact me.

ahh wish you were on the list last december when i got to go to stockholm! it was a great city to visit and fun even though in winter! we didnt end up with time for any train rides other than the subway once for a quick trip.

cheers

jeff

quinntopia
Black: SJ Rc, current livery
  WOW I love that black paint scheme!  I don't know why, just looks awesome!

Thanks Claude_Dreyfus for posting these pictures from my home town. If any JNS Forum member would like to get information about Sweden or some guiding in Stockholm, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kitayama:

Do you know of any good websites for N Scale Swedish materials?  Particularly interested in decals or kits.  I'd really love to have an RC in the new livery. 

Kitayama:

Do you know of any good websites for N Scale Swedish materials?  Particularly interested in decals or kits.  I'd really love to have an RC in the new livery. 

I'm not into modeling myself, so I'm not up-to-date.

But, N Scale is very small in Sweden. The local market is small and "all" local models are H0 models.

However, you can ask the largest modeling shop in Sweden. http://www.mjhobby.se/

If you don't find what you are looking for, send an e-mail (English OK!) to them (E-mail address here: http://www.mjhobby.se/mjhobby/about.asp?qsLang=eng) and ask. They know the market very well!