Youtube: cannot play tonight

to2leo

Hi everybody,

Don't know who to turn to but I cannot play youtube tonight.  It stated, "an error has occured, please try again."  Is this just me?

I did download the latest firefox's add-ons but I am using Google Chrome, would that be affecting my video play?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've seen quite a bit of that lately, but it's working for me at the moment.  I think I see it more often if I try to watch a video in HD.

Hobby Dreamer

If you get an error message on the YT screen its at their end - sometimes they are doing maintenance and it might say that on the top of the screen or you might be bounced to YT UK because the main site cannot handle it. A lot of times many people just compete for the same video.

Try hitting F5 or place your cursor in the URL screen and hit return.  Do this a few times.

Despite bandwidth promises it may just be your ISP.  Also FireFox takes a lot more memory than other browsers especially when it plays videos. I leave Task Manager on and its crazy how much CPU FF can take just watching a video!

If your PC is gumming up a great free software is called CCleaner that basically cleans out a lot of gunk. (Gunk may include your cache and HD caching) It can be run in analyze mode to see what will be deleted and you have a ton of control on what does get deleted. I regained 30GB!! .  CC also has a registry fix and if you have not done that in a while you will notice an improvement. (assuming you have XP)

Finally, FF has a safe mode that you can access from the Start button. Basically it runs bare bones without add-ons. I had a ton of problems with FF and used safe mode to discover it was my weather add-on that caused problems.

Most of the time YT is either doing maintenance, a lot of people are accessing their site or there is a glitch in the signal so F5 usually is enough.