Ohmi Railway and Hankai

Hi !

I have published two sets of photos on my photo page.

One is from Ohmi Railway in Shiga prefecture. A nice little company with one main line and two branch lines.

Very easy to access from Shinkansen in Maibara. My favorite place is Takamiya, the junction just south of Hikone. Very rural, no manned ticket gates, I could walk into the platform from a small path without passing any  official entrance. Shinkansen passes just 100 m east of the station, crossing the branch line. The branch is 2.5 km long and has good walking paths along it. I know, I walked along the whole line.

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/k_en_ohmi.htm

W100404-013.JPG

My other set is maybe not so interesting for the model railroaders - but if you like old vehicles, take a ride on the Hankai tramway in southern Osaka before it disappears. 82 years old tram - still going strong.

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/k_en_hankai.htm

W100331-005.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing! I find the Hankai most inspiring. Never heard of this tramway, but then again, it's not in the region of my interest (Kansai).

Thanks for sharing! I find the Hankai most inspiring. Never heard of this tramway, but then again, it's not in the region of my interest (Kansai).

:grin  Hankai Tramway is in Kansai, specifically in Osaka and Sakai.

Nick_Burman

Thanks for sharing. The Ohmi is a firm favorite - I have M-A's ("stretch") ED14 1, now I need a train to go behind it (a small string of WaMu 80000s would go OK - a biru ressha :grin). A friend of mine who lives in Rio has a Japanese model magazine with pictures of someone's Ohmi layout, I'll ask him to lend it to me next time he comes round here.

Sometimes I regret I didn't turn to Japanese modelling earlier - there was a ton of nice stuff I missed, World Kogei did the the Ohmi electrics, both the ED14 (correctly sized) and the "Iron Monster" (the riveted steeplecabs).

Cheers NB

:grin  Hankai Tramway is in Kansai, specifically in Osaka and Sakai.

Ah yes, made an error while writing once again... My interest lies more in the Kanto and Tohoku area, however a good tramway is fine anywhere :cheesy

Mudkip Orange

Ohmi Railway in Shiga prefecture.

Fully-owned subsidiary of Seibu, as if you couldn't tell by the paint schemes...

Ohmi Railway in Shiga prefecture.

Fully-owned subsidiary of Seibu, as if you couldn't tell by the paint schemes...

It does make sense with the livery, although I was not aware of this.  If memory serves, it's the most expensive or one of the most expensive line per km in the country.

Great Hankai pics, Kitayama.  Osaka is definitely one of my favorite places, especially Minami.

It does make sense with the livery, although I was not aware of this.  If memory serves, it's the most expensive or one of the most expensive line per km in the country.

Great Hankai pics, Kitayama.  Osaka is definitely one of my favorite places, especially Minami.

Ohmi Railway has a day pass for 500 Yen on Saturdays and Sundays. That is a real bargain compared with the normal prices. So, if you go there, do it in a weekend!