"-etsu" in line names?

scott

Shin-etsu, Ban'etsu, Uetsu, Hokuetsu--this suffix/word/whatever-it-is shows up lots of times in part of the area of Japan that I'm most interested in. Does anybody know what it means?

bikkuri bahn

"etsu" comes from the ancient name of the Hokuriku region Koshinokuni (越国), though the reading is koshi rather than "etsu". So the lines you mentioned all provide a link with this region.

Interesting--thanks! I'm assuming the reason for the two different readings would involve a language lesson that's way over my head. :-)

BTW, I shouldn't have said "most interested in." I mean, it's turning out to be a fun region for *modelling* purposes, but it's not like I'm not interested in other parts of Japan. And since I've never gone there, it probably seems a bit lame for me to be picking favorites, etc.

Many line names in Japan are made up of the first kanji in place/region names that the line connects.

Often, the alternative reading is used.

Example: "Keihan" is written with the first kanji in Kyoto (Kyo) and the second one in Osaka (saka) - as O just means "big". So Keihan simply means "Kyoto-Osaka".

"Etsu" refers to the ancient region of Echigo (as the first kanji "Echi" can also be read "Etsu").

Echigo is today a part of Niigata prefecture.

Some facts from Wikipedia:

"The name "Uetsu" refers to the ancient provinces of Dewa (出羽) and Echigo (越後), which the line connects."

Joetsu: "The name refers to the old provinces of Kōzuke (上野) and Echigo (越後), which the line connects."

Shinetsu: "The name of the line refers to the old names for Nagano and Niigata Prefectures, Shinano (信濃) and Echigo (越後), which the main section still connects"