Dremel Drill 1100-N Opinions wanted

Bernard

I don't have experience with one of these (my Dremel has a cord), but the part that would worry me is the "integrated battery". A L-Ion battery has a limited lifespan. Newer ones are better than the old ones, but if the battery can't be replaced then after a couple-hundred charge cycles you'll need to replace the whole thing. Depending on your use that could be a very long time, or not.

A quick google turned up this info, which suggests that the battery is user-replacable, although it's not as simple as just swapping a snap-on external battery. And Dremel will apparently do a battery replacement if you send it in to them. But you might want to look into the cost; replacement batteries are often a substantial fraction of the original cost, and L-Ion batteries can be pretty expensive.

Ken - Thanks for the article and I see your point about the battery. What I like about the drill is how it fits in your hand and it looks like it makes it easier to do detailed work.

Guest Closed Account 1

These little drills are priceless when it comes to hobby work. Buy the Light Option and big accessory kit because it have most everything you'll ever want.

I got my first one when I worked for a GM dealer. I used it to add electric locks and windows in J Body door panels that had no provisions from the factory.

Do wear eye protection when using the cut off wheels, they like to shatter with the slightest twist. The cut off wheels make cutting carbon fiber a breeze.

So easy to polish, too.

These little drills are priceless when it comes to hobby work. Buy the Light Option and big accessory kit because it have most everything you'll ever want.

I got my first one when I worked for a GM dealer. I used it to add electric locks and windows in J Body door panels that had no provisions from the factory.

Do wear eye protection when using the cut off wheels, they like to shatter with the slightest twist. The cut off wheels make cutting carbon fiber a breeze.

So easy to polish, too.

I did get one at a very good price....it's the first drill I use and very comfortable in your hand.

Bernard,

so you did end up getting the dremel hand unit? if so how well does it work?

i was concerned as some thought the grip was not quite right for small work, guess its one of those things you just have to try to see how well it handles for you and your uses.

also was concerned that it might not have that much umph as the first gen rechargable dremel i have was pretty useless for most tasks with very little torque. was fine if you were just doing some buffing or polishing, but heavier drilling, grinding or cutting it was pretty whimpy...

btw i am really loving the proxon i got last fall. virtually no vibration to the sucker and pretty quiet to boot!

cheers

jeff

Jeff - it's one of those drills you have to try and see if you like it. There is one big "Con" to the drill, no replacement battery, it's sealed within the unit. It's great for small detail/finishing work and surprisingly has nice torque.

The other thing I like is that it fits nicely in your hand like an extra finger, not like holding pencil like my other fine drills.

gotcha, hopefully i can try one someday. i have huge hands so some tools like this just dont quite fit, but it does look good for fine work, the problem with larger rotary tools. flexishafts work ok for this sort of stuff but are limited and can have real quality problems.

glad to hear it has some torque to it! the lithium ion batteries help with this, but you are right they are prone to going bad. expect you could open it up and swap in a new one, i am now seeing all sorts of Li ion stock batteries in the electronics sites. my first gen is nicad, but removable power packs.

cheers

jeff