six days of railroading

That might well be more individual trains trips than I've taken in my entire life.  :grin  Well, maybe not counting metros/subways.

I've never been to Japan, so my opinion isn't worth much, but it does seem like there's little opportunity there to see anything of Japan *other* than trains, and one breakdown or missed connection could make things difficult.

That is a lot of train ridings.  Where are you going to eat?  Is this your first time in Japan?  Also, some of the train are packed during rush hours.

Also, make Plan B for your overnight trains, the nobi nobi is very popular and there are limited spots available for pass holder.

In addition, be flexible in money and time wise and get lot of rest.

Finally, have a fun week off!

Isn't it a good idea to be in Tokyo on the last day just in case Japan is hit by stormy weather?  You don't want to miss your flight.

Yeah, it's often a good idea not to dive into a lot of activity right after arrival, or to start anything serious on the last day. Timetables offer lots of theoretical possibilities, but are notoriously uncaring about jet lag, hunger, fatigue, and other problem.s :-)

Isn't it a good idea to be in Tokyo on the last day just in case Japan is hit by stormy weather?  You don't want to miss your flight.

yes, my flight departs on June 3rd. June 2nd I will spend in the Tokyo area. My hotel is in Akasaka.

That is a lot of train ridings.  Where are you going to eat?  Is this your first time in Japan?  Also, some of the train are packed during rush hours.

Also, make Plan B for your overnight trains, the nobi nobi is very popular and there are limited spots available for pass holder.

Usually there are noodle shops or convenience stores near stations. so I'll be eating fast food or convenience store food + ekibens.

Its my 3rd time in Japan. I will only have my backpack and camera-bag with me.

Ah, didn't know that nobi nobi is that popular.