Keisei Narita Sky Access Debuts July 17th

bill937ca

bikkuri bahn

Will be interesting to see how the competition with JR East will further develop when this service starts.  And will be fun to ride along at 160km/h, in addition to seeing the high speed line signaling in operation- 6 light color signals and double position light signals.

left side is Narita Sky Access line, right is JR East:

http://okiraku-goraku.com/assets_c/2010/02/100222_03-11157.html

Cool looking train!  But as one who's not too familiar with the lines or operations around Tokyo or Japan, but has ridden the Narita Express several years ago, how will this train compete with the Narita Express?

bikkuri bahn

Cool looking train!  But as one who's not too familiar with the lines or operations around Tokyo or Japan, but has ridden the Narita Express several years ago, how will this train compete with the Narita Express?

I think both serve the traveller bound for Tokyo destinations.  Sky Access is touting speed, while Narita Express is touting its multiple destinations with no transfers, including points in Kanagawa Prefecture.  Another competitor is the airport limousine bus, which I personally find more convenient if I have luggage, because it offers the closest equivalent to door to door service.

Mudkip Orange

left side is Narita Sky Access line, right is JR East:

Septa called, they want their PRR position lights back.

If Tokyo and Chiba were shrewd, they'd come up with some sort of agreement where some of the Sky Access trains extend to Shibayama in exchange for the local community dropping all their opposition to the airport. Something where improved train service is contingent on successful acquisition of property from the remaining eight landowners and demolition of the remaining encroaching structures.

I'm definitely eager to ride this train! The new route looks really promising.

JRE has the advantage however in offering a direct and longer distance connection with the NE'X, so I think it does only matter in the Narita - Tokyo corridor and not for longer distances. With the NE'X one can go to much farther places, such as Yokohama, Takao, Ofuna, Omiya, etc. and have Shinkansen connections without much too much hassle of transferring.