Other motorcyclists here?

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

I ask, because you never know, and because I've really grown to like everyone here. Any other motorcyclists/scooterists/moped...ists here? I just graduated from a Honda Elite 80 (itty-bitty scooter) to a Honda Silver Wing 600 (holy-cow huge scooter), and thought on this occasion to ask if I'm alone in this? My scooter is my daily ride, and I like to share the joy of two-wheeled commuting with others...

(Note: Yes, that's a large bike I'm on, and yes, I really am that big!)

DSCN2705.jpg

Martijn Meerts

Hmmm.. I have a non-motorized bike, but it does have full suspension and hydralic brakes and such ;)

It looks somewhat like this one http://www.feedthehabit.com/gear_reviews/bikes/norcoSix/sixTrail.jpg , except I have a different fork up front.

Motorized bike, well.. I've long since been thinking of getting a license, and then get 2 bikes. 1 for cruising (1988 Honda Goldwing) and 1 speed demon (Honda CBR, Kawasaki Ninja, Suzuki Hayabusa, Ducati 1098, you get the idea ;))

CaptOblivious

One day I too will own a Gold Wing (The Silver Wing is to scooters what the Gold Wing is to motorcycles....a huge touring bike)...but I'm not yet ready for something that honking huge...  :o Not so interested in the sportbikes, myself. My frame doesn't tolerate that riding position very well.

alpineaustralia

Capt - where did you install the decoder in your bike?

Seriously though - your going to have to get boring and buy a car now that you are a responsible Daddy.

CaptOblivious

Oh, we've had a car for ages! It's so expensive to drive! The car is for transporting baby and large quantities of groceries and so forth. But we do that so rarely. We both ride scooters when we aren't taking the baby (as when riding to work) to save on gas, time and temper (it's really hard to be angry when riding!)

And while scootering is indeed risky, most accidents occur because the rider was a fool: Riding too fast for a curve, not understanding how to react in an emergency, not wearing appropriate gear, etc. and not because of other drivers on the road. So, we take every precaution: gear, training...not being fools. Really, we're both quite happy with the way things are set up.

alpineaustralia

Glad to hear it. Most of my mates that ride bikes have had accidents either beacuse they are bot seen by other drivers or because they ride in the middle of the road when it is wet (which as you know is the slipperiest part of the road from the oil that drops on the road).

CaptO - Are you going to put a sidecar on for the baby? ;D

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Bermuda where scooters are the main means of transportation. When we went to rent one I ask the guy how how most accidents happen and he told me it's when couples rent two scooters and one of them turns their head to see where their partner is, we opted for renting one that seated two.

I've just signed up for the "Stay Up Right" course on the 14th Aug here in Canberra which provides you with the certification you need to get your Learner's License... how lame... but that'll be short lived :)

Then I'll get my naked VTR-250.

Can't wait!

CaptOblivious

I'll be taking the US equivalent course in a month's time...

And...nice bike! Honda imports some nice bikes to Oz that we don't get here in the states: No-one buys 250's here, really. Or anything smaller than a liter (unless its a 600cc supersport). Indeed, Honda USA just nixed every scooter in their US lineup except the 50cc's and the 600cc Silver Wing (what I ride). Man, looking at the Aussie website, I'd love a CB400 or a Deauville...*sigh*

I use to ride a CBR1000F Hurricane, but got in an accident years ago. and hadn't ridden for ages. About five years ago, I bought a Yamaha Vino.

huricane.gif

2004_2_vino_classic-sil.jpg

CaptOblivious

I love the styling of 80's cowling. I often thought I might like a Pacific Coast, but I'd be too big for it I think. Is that the 2-stroke Vino or the 4-stroke Vino Classic? Got a co-worker who rides the Classic: It's so small! I dwarf it, but I love the looks. Another co-worker just upgraded his Tomos moped for a '73 Honda CB350: Sweet little bike, that.

2 stroke Vino Classic. The 2 strokes can be modified something nearly impossible to do with the newer four strokes. I basically bought it to run to the post office with.

CaptOblivious

I've just signed up for the "Stay Up Right" course on the 14th Aug here in Canberra which provides you with the certification you need to get your Learner's License... how lame... but that'll be short lived :)

Then I'll get my naked VTR-250.

Can't wait!

How'd it go? Get the bike yet? The MSF Basic RiderCourse that I took here was a hell of a lot of fun, and really useful, too.

Went really well actually... Never realised there was so much involved :)

I need to transfer my certificate into a real license and then start the bike shopping... Haven't had much time to do any of that yet though and am on holidays in Hong Kong for the next 2 weeks... Will keep you updated as I start searching for the right bike :)