Tohoku & Tokaido Shinkansen modules.

DJR

Hello Bernard, thanks for the welcome. That photo is on my 2'x10' Tohoku shinkansen module. There are two layers of 2" pink foam shaped with a "sureform" tool and a propane torch. The foam is covered with plaster cloth. The scenery shell is almost complete on the module and soon I should begin the scenery. Also must work on building custom catenary.DSC00014-2.JPG

000_0043.JPG

000_0027.JPG

That second video really show Don's layout to be right on with his design! I know Don makes his own tunnel portals and they really blend with the "tube" design. I bought the WS concrete portals and are more "U" shaped than the "Circular" design that they in Japan.

It interesting how Don came up with a way of making Japanese RR portals.

This is on my Tokaido Shinkansen module. The portals were made by casting densite plaster around pvc pipe framed in a "shadow box" frame.

DSC000181.JPG

Guest Bernard

GREAT!! Because you know at one point I'm going to ask you about posting your photos on "how you make your tunnel portals". The friendly folks at Greenmax might even want to take a look at that post.

This was before most of the landforms took shape, now I'm bogged down on trying to determine what will be the most effective scenery.

100_0046.JPG

Guest Bernard

Don,

This is interesting, what type of track are you using? Why I ask is, I also see cork roadbed underneath it. Did you also make the embankments for the underpass?

Don,

This is interesting, what type of track are you using? Why I ask is, I also see cork roadbed underneath it. Did you also make the embankments for the underpass?

Track is Peco code 55. Yes, I made the embankments (abutments).  I don't like the lighting effect on them in this picture as they look green.  I still need to paint the top portion. I used Floquill "aged concrete" and weathered with an india ink wash. Still need to touch up and clean up from the plaster work. I can hardly wait to get some "Silflor" grass on the slope.

Darren Jeffries

That's a sharp looking layout Don!

I'll be following closely,

-Cody

Yes, nice work. Please do keep us updated Don.

I've now completed both tunnels on the Tohoku module. I decided to run an E-2 Hayate train around the module. I think the next step will be getting a backdrop and fascia installed then I'll tackle the trees, shrubs and grass.

Here's a video of the E-2. (running a little too fast).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FKKWjjwAW4

Don,

Really GREAT!! Everything is running super smooth! I can't wait to see it with scenery. This is going to be a wonderful layout!

Martijn Meerts

Looking good. Can't wait to move into a new apartment with room to allow me to run my own shinkansen =)

Very nice! Just how fast are the trains running, do you know?

I don't know what speed my model is running but the prototype E-2 1000s have a maximum design speed of 315 km/h but currently operate at a maximum service speed of 275 km/h.

Thanks everyone. I will take my time and do some experimenting before adding the scenery. I want to get it just right. This being a module of the Tohoku (northern) line, I will be sure to add many conifer trees. I'm also going to look into static grass. That stuff just looks great.

Looking good. Can't wait to move into a new apartment with room to allow me to run my own shinkansen =)

When you get moved in, be sure to post some pics or video of your Shinkansen action.  :)

Guest bill937ca

I've now completed both tunnels on the Tohoku module. I decided to run an E-2 Hayate train around the module. I think the next step will be getting a backdrop and fascia installed then I'll tackle the trees, shrubs and grass.

it looks great, Don.  Do you have a particular season in mind?  I'm partial to the very lush greens that come after the rainy season in Japan.

it looks great, Don.  Do you have a particular season in mind?  I'm partial to the very lush greens that come after the rainy season in Japan.

I plan on mid to late summer for this module...a lot of dark greens.  I really have an itch to try late fall and winter scenery without snow, but I'll try that on perhaps a Ban-Etsu line diorama or something.

Don,

I can't say a word about scenery, I'll do anything to put off ballasting. (Especially running trains) Don out of curiosity, what is on your roster, you have some really nice sets.

Don out of curiosity, what is on your roster, you have some really like sets.

Gosh Bernard, I'd have to take an inventory. At last count I had something like 27 sets of Shinkansen. What I don't have is the 800 series, N700, the MicroAce refurbished 200 series (which I'd like to have) and the E-1 max in the New Paint scheme. I also have a Tomix Ban-Etsu 455 set, Kato Thunderbird, Kato Super Hitachi, and Kato KiHA 110.