Aizuwakamatsu to Hachinohe?

Guest ___

I'm trying to figure out how to get to Hachinohe from Aizu via Tohoku Shinkansen. The only shinkansen that runs to Hachinohe is the Hayate which runs through at Komiyama? I can't seem to figure out which of the other two services run north. Also under a JR Railpass, I assume there is a surcharge for using the Hayate to run north?

bikkuri bahn

Yes, after getting to Koriyama from Aizu Wakamatsu, you can catch the Tohoku Shinkansen for points north, including Hachinohe.  There is no extra charge for using Hayate services.

As Bikkuri Bahn said, take the Aizu Liner to Koriyama (quickest method) and then the next-shinkansen-north.

I managed to get to see the SL arrive and then got to Hachinohe and stayed the night, as it was getting too late to go on further to Aomori.

The trip then included the Hokutosei back to Fukushima and then shinkansens all the way back to Osaka (you save 2 hours instead of going to Tokyo and then west)

Yes, after getting to Koriyama from Aizu Wakamatsu, you can catch the Tohoku Shinkansen for points north, including Hachinohe.  There is no extra charge for using Hayate services.

The catch is that the Hayate does not stop at Komiyama, so I assume I'll have to catch a slower service and transfer at Sendai.

The catch is that the Hayate does not stop at Komiyama, so I assume I'll have to catch a slower service and transfer at Sendai.

According to Hyperdia there is a five minute cross platform connection at Sendai, you step off one train onto the other and on your way again before you know whats happening.

The Yamabiko does the 125.1 km between Koriyama and Sendai in 35 minutes, the term 'slower service' is a relative thing when talking about Shinkansen. :grin

I'm not a fan of connections, even when it comes to trains. My fat ass will have a twenty pound camera bag and lord knows how big the backpack is going to be, as I have no plans to lug along a carry-on bag.  :cheesy  Of course, I realize that Sendai is a rather big station, with direct connecting platform access. Of course, when I get off at Semndai, I assume I will need to go to the counter first to reserve a seat on the next Hayate. Last time I checked, Hayate service is reserved seating only, and I seriously do not expect to find English staff to really be much help at a rinky-dink station like Komiyama when I point at a map of where I am going.  :laugh:  I've totally given up on my Japanese speaking ability last year.

You just reminded me of having to reserve a Ticket in around 5 minutes... and I managed to do it with very little Japanese (only new the place names.)

And this was in Sendai, as that's what Hyperdia told me to do :) ... so you will be safe if you want to make that connection and haven't reserved a ticket yet.

alpineaustralia

My son and I were in Aizu wakamutsu only 2 weeks ago.

Yes you catch an E4 Yamabiko coupled with an E3 Tsubasa up to Koriyama.

By the way, I understand that near Sendai, there is a shinkansen maintainence depot which conducts tours.

bikkuri bahn
By the way, I understand that near Sendai, there is a shinkansen maintainence depot which conducts tours.

That would be JR East's Depot in Rifu-cho, located on the spur of the old Tohoku Main Line.  I'm not aware of any scheduled tours, but they have an annual open house, usually held at the end of July.  Highly recommended!

I'm not a fan of connections, even when it comes to trains. My fat ass will have a twenty pound camera bag and lord knows how big the backpack is going to be, as I have no plans to lug along a carry-on bag.  :cheesy  Of course, I realize that Sendai is a rather big station, with direct connecting platform access. Of course, when I get off at Semndai, I assume I will need to go to the counter first to reserve a seat on the next Hayate. Last time I checked, Hayate service is reserved seating only, and I seriously do not expect to find English staff to really be much help at a rinky-dink station like Komiyama when I point at a map of where I am going.  :laugh:  I've totally given up on my Japanese speaking ability last year.

It's easy to reserve seats if the ticket clerk doesn't understand English, just write it down with the place names in English and the times, eg;

Sendai      1450

Hachinohe  1600

and show it to them along with your railpass. I've done this dozens of times with success. Of course if you know which train you will be catching you can reserve your seat any convenient time, at any JR station from Kagoshima to Wakkanai.

alpineaustralia
I'm not aware of any scheduled tours, but they have an annual open house, usually held at the end of July.  Highly recommended

Yes I was surprised too but see http://www.miyagitheme.jp/cd2/main_data/area_db_e/ad_rifu/ad001_rifu/index.html

The Shinkansen General Vehicle Center executes the maintenance of the Shinkansen vehicles and the technological support of operation, and also works on aiming at the higher level of technological development. This Center accepts an application for a touring in the vehicle center (inspection and repair work of Shinkansen) in a guide car, so that visitors can feel familiarity with Shinkansen.

Tour time: 9:00-16:00 (Entrance :by 15:30)

Non-business days: Saturdays, Sundays, National holidays, and Year-end/New Year holidays

(On the non-business days, you can see only the exhibition room and the exhibited vehicles. )

About the guide car

Required time for the tour: Full number = 24, for 20 minutes. (Prior booking essential)

Departure time: Three times a day (10:00, 14:00, and 15:00)

(When the guide car has a vacant seat on the day of the visit, it is possible to have a ride in the car.)

Telephone No.: 81-22-356-5223( General Affairs Division at the Shinkansen General Vehicle Cente)

○For further information, contact the following:

Telephone No.:81-22-767-3241(Grandy 21)

Fax No.: 81-22-767-3243

○E-mail:stadium@grande21.or.jp

○Web site: http://www.grande21.or.jp/

And this is all at Sendai!? The only problem is that I'll have a big camera bag and my backpack full of luggage (clothing) with me. Sigh, this is making travel planning very rough for me now, LOL. The main purpose of this trip is to see Sapporo, but at the rate I am going, I'll never make it there.  :laugh:  Ok, so far here's my trip plans:

DC-Aizuwakamatsu via Tokyo 3 nights

Narita → Tokyo Station (via N'ex)

Tokyo Station → Komiyama (via Tōhoku Shinkansen: Nasuno service)

Komiyama → Aizuwakamatsu  (via Ban'etsu West Line)

Aizu-Hachinohe via Komiyama 2 nights

Aizuwakamatsu → Komiyama (via Ban'etsu West Line)

Komiyama →  Sendai (via local Yamabiko Service)

Sendai → Hachinohe (via Tōhoku Shinkansen: Hayate Service)

Hachinohe-Hokodate 2 nights

Hachinohe → Hokodate (via Super Hakuchō)

Hokodate-Sapporo 4 nights

Hokodate → Sapporo (via Super Hokuto)

Sapporo-DC via Tokyo 1 night

Sapporo → Hachinohe

Hachinohe → Tokyo Station (via Tōhoku Shinkansen: Hayate Service)

bikkuri bahn

If you can squeeze a tour of a maintenance facility into your itinerary, it would be worthwhile.  A totally different (and behind the scenes) look at the railway system, very educational, even if you can't understand Japanese.  Also many great photo opportunities.

CaptOblivious

Shashinka,

Now, you've spent more time in Japan than I have, but even I know that, in your situation, the answer is probably to pack your stuff into several smaller bags and rent one or more lockers at the station while you take the tour! Sounds to me like the easiest way forward.

Shashinka,

Now, you've spent more time in Japan than I have, but even I know that, in your situation, the answer is probably to pack your stuff into several smaller bags and rent one or more lockers at the station while you take the tour! Sounds to me like the easiest way forward.

That's problematic becasue I have many rail and air connections, and rather not have more than two bags total including the camera bags.

alpineaustralia

Shashinka

We went from Ueno to Koriyama (you might want to correct your spelling - you are caling it Komiyama) as follows:

Depart Ueno 8.14am on Max Yamabiko 105 (E4 max)

Arrive Koriyama 9.30am

Depart Koriyama 9.43am (Ban-estu line)

Arrive Aizu Wakamutsu 10.57am.

Beware trains between Koriyama and Aizu Wakamutsu are not too frequent and the transfer is a little tight.

Pictures of the journey between  Koriyama and Aizu Wakamutsu attached:

Weird--this is second recent thread in which I can't see Alpine's attached pictures--is anybody else having this problem? I could see the original posts in the trip-photo set, but not the most recent one or the ones in the post above.

Arrive Koriyama 9.30am

Living in the land of occasional Amtrak service, that's pretty amazing.

Weird--this is second recent thread in which I can't see Alpine's attached pictures--is anybody else having this problem? I could see the original posts in the trip-photo set, but not the most recent one or the ones in the post above.

Arrive Koriyama 9.30am

Living in the land of occasional Amtrak service, that's pretty amazing.

I can't see any pictures either.

alpineaustralia

Sorry guys. Having trouble with accessing and posting to the site. Will re-post the photos shortly

Shashinka

We went from Ueno to Koriyama (you might want to correct your spelling - you are caling it Komiyama) as follows:

Arrive Koriyama 9.30am

Beware trains between Koriyama and Aizu Wakamutsu are not too frequent and the transfer is a little tight.

Pictures of the journey between  Koriyama and Aizu Wakamutsu attached:

Komiyama is what I have on the itinerary from JTB.

I'll be going to Aizu-Wakayama directly from Tokyo after 1600 hours.

With spelling correction for Alpine  :grin

ROTUE

Tokyo-Aizuwakamatsu (3:00)

3 nights Aizuwakamatsu

Narita → Tokyo Station (via N'ex)

Tokyo Station → Koriyama (via Tōhoku Shinkansen: Yamabiko service)

Koriyama → Aizuwakamatsu  (via Ban'etsu West Line)

Aizuwakamatsu - Sendai via Koriyama (2:00)

Rail Connection

Aizuwakamatsu → Koriyama (via Ban'etsu West Line)

Koriyama →  Sendai (via Yamabiko Service)

Sendai - Hachinohe (2:00)

2 night Hachinohe

Sendai → Hachinohe (via Tōhoku Shinkansen: Hayate Service)

Hachinohe - Hokodate (3:00)

2 nights Hokodate

Hachinohe → Hokodate (via Super Hakuchō)

Hokodate - Sapporo (4:00)

4 nights Sapporo

Hokodate → Sapporo (via Super Hokuto)

Sapporo - Tokyo (9:00)

1 night Tokyo

Sapporo → Hokodate (via Super Hokuto)

Hokodate → Hachinohe (via Super Hakuchō)

Hachinohe → Tokyo Station (via Tōhoku Shinkansen: Hayate Service)

Tokyo Station → Narita (via N'ex)

With spelling correction for Alpine  :grin

ROTUE

...I don't think alpine asked for a 'ROTUE'... but probably not the correct spelling either  :grin

alpineaustralia

Photos atached. Just go to show how out of the way Aizu Wakamutsu is and how much trafiic the banestu line gets. Especially look at the state of Sekito station which is one of the train stations on the way 

post-29-13569924643363_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569924643636_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569924644101_thumb.jpg

post-29-1356992464438_thumb.jpg

post-29-1356992464456_thumb.jpg

Alpine, 2 weeks ago... is it Spring in Japan? It looks ... dead?

Especially compared to winter:

DSC00596.JPG

DSC00642.JPG?m=1272976690

DSC00657.JPG?m=1272976693

Note, that if you are going to see the Steamer, and it's running late, then your return Aizu Liner 1 will be delayed until everyone has transfered (if any!)

This therefore made me miss my initial connection at Koriyama and I had to wait for the next Shinkansen service.