Kato's E259 almost here

angusmclean

I'm getting really really itchy. It's on the top of my priority list right now, right alongside the Kato C57 4 car set...

Claude_Dreyfus

Wooo! I picked mine up today from the local parcels office. Only time to have a quick glance, and yes it looks fantastic  :grin

BTW, does the E259 have the lights already like the E253? Because that would be fantastic! (Save me some work anyway).

Claude_Dreyfus

If you are referring to internal lighting, afraid not, these are optional.  :sad:

On the positive side, it is a very impressive model...an extra bonus is that all the detailing parts are ready fitted. It runs beautifully, however the couplings are a bit fiddly, and are a pain to uncouple the set...hope that Kato provide these as spares as I think we may need these!

Looking at the blurb, Kato show a twin-set make up as two motorised sets...suggesting no dummy set will be released.

alpineaustralia

Yes but did you notice that the set had different numbered cars to the set in 10-821?

What other sets are they referring to?

Yes but did you notice that the set had different numbered cars to the set in 10-821?

What other sets are they referring to?

Interesting, I thought Kato is going to produce only one set and suggest ppl to buy two of the same set.  For those who have the set already, did Kato provide another set of number that you can label?

If not, then we might just have to wait for little longer...

Claude_Dreyfus

As far as I can see from the supporting docs, Kato are only producing the one set; if you want the twelve-car set you'll have to by two units. I suspect you will have to contend with two identically numbered units in this case...

I gave it a run last night, and the mechanism is extremely smooth and quiet. The printing is neat with crisp joins between the colours. I have already mentioned about the couplings; these are very close (as can be seen in picture 1) however are quite stiff and probably won't appreciate frequent coupling and uncoupling.

The standard of the detailing is very fine, and the cab ends really look the part...head/tail lights are quite bright and come on at a fairly low speed - internal lights is, as mentioned, optional as is DCC fitting.

The test track set up in picture 3 is a standard M1 set, the curves of which were comfortably traversed by this unit.

post-141-13569924756129_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569924756492_thumb.jpg

post-141-1356992475685_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
CaptOblivious

Posts elsewhere on the forum indicate that it will take the Kato EM13 and FL12 decoders.

alpineaustralia

I couldnt help myself and have already pulled mine apart (even though I am awaiting a bunch or decoders and interior lights for overseas).

It will take all 3 kato decoders 29-351 (EM13), 29-352 (FL 12) and 29-353 (FR 11)

SHIPPED!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your shopping at HW JAPAN.

We have shipped your order today

... I'm looking forward to a monday afternoon or a 7AM tuesday delivery!

SHIPPED!!!!!!

Weird I thought they were on holidays... They haven't even sent my notification yet for my pre-order.

bill937ca

SHIPPED!!!!!!

Weird I thought they were on holidays... They haven't even sent my notification yet for my pre-order.

The holiday ended with back to work on Thursday, (actually Wednesday night in North America).

SHIPPED!!!!!!

Well they just send the shipping notification. My EMS-Parcel is not yet trackable. Unsually it's trackable within 24 hours after posting..... Well they were 6 percent cheaper than HS and it pays...

SHIPPED!!!!!!

Well they just send the shipping notification. My EMS-Parcel is not yet trackable. Unsually it's trackable within 24 hours after posting..... Well they were 6 percent cheaper than HS and it pays...

75 hours after shippment notification: still not trackable!!

SHIPPED!!!!!!

75 hours after shippment notification: still not trackable!!

HWJ packages often are stamped with the name of a forwarding company.  HWJ is located in Shizuoka city Shizuoka pref about mid way between Tokyo and Osaka,  off the main shipping routes. A parcel won't be trackable until its in Japan Post's hands.

Japan Post tracking:   http://tracking.post.japanpost.jp/service/jsp/refi/DP311-00100.jsp?locale=en

Does anyone know exactly when they HWJ staff are returning to work? I've received my SECOND notice for the E259 (never received the first). Anyway, I've been trying to add items to my order but they aren't answering email and their website has this on the front:

Our staff in charge will be out of the office for a while. We can receive mail and order, but the rest of transactions will be done as soon as she returns. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

I have about 5 more days before they cancel my pre-order though I assume they need to this manually or will the system automatically drop me (though not likely since HWJ looks like it is very manual given the level of sophistication of their operations i.e. not much).

I received my shipment confirmation today, when I paid on Sunday night (EST).  So I would guess it would take 2 days before they can respond since they are just coming back from Golden Week.

I received my shipment confirmation today, when I paid on Sunday night (EST).  So I would guess it would take 2 days before they can respond since they are just coming back from Golden Week.

Also note that HWJ closes for major industry shows and they will be closed on Thursday and Friday this week.  They never work a Saturday like HS.  My experience was 2-4 days between payment and shipping and longer still to be picked up on EMS tracking.

Does anyone know exactly when they HWJ staff are returning to work? I've received my SECOND notice for the E259 (never received the first). Anyway, I've been trying to add items to my order but they aren't answering email and their website has this on the front:

Our staff in charge will be out of the office for a while. We can receive mail and order, but the rest of transactions will be done as soon as she returns. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

I have about 5 more days before they cancel my pre-order though I assume they need to this manually or will the system automatically drop me (though not likely since HWJ looks like it is very manual given the level of sophistication of their operations i.e. not much).

Check the calendar on their pages towards the bottom.  Thursday and Friday are marked off in red just like OFF days so I presume they are closed for the Shizuoka Hobby Show. They close at least twice a year for hobby shows.  Can't be a big operation.

alpineaustralia

Put decoders in E259 and it goes really well first time with no problems.

BEWARE:  the couplers are pretty fiddly and I have already broken one.

Yikes, I am not good with fiddly couplers, I broken quite a few in my life.  So what do I need to look out for in terms of the coupler?  Can sensitive parts be taken out to prevent breakage?

alpineaustralia

There are two bits to the coupler

The first is the scharfenberg couplers - this is the bit that broke and so I have had to super glue it back on. 

The second is the bar that clips onto one of the carriages. That seems to pop off very quickly but is easy to put back on. Fiddly but not a real problem. having siad this, I reckon they would break easily and I will therefore be ordering this a s pare part as a matter of course.

As mentioned above, the couplers are stiff and dont like to be uncoupled - which is how I broke it.