Kato's E259 almost here

angusmclean

angusmclean

This must be something of a coup for Kato, a company I thought was somewhat conservative and slow to react to new things, that their model of the new E259 Narita Express will be released next Tuesday, just a year after the first of the production models was reported.  I expected Tomix and Microace to be in there with a quick product release, but am I alone in suspecting that the sting has gone out of the latter company, with offerings in the last couple of years having little appeal to me as a westerner, with very little to tempt me other than a re-issue of the old English Electric bo-bo's? There is a whole field of challenges for vintage models extending back to the beginning, of which they have done a couple of models, I'm thinking praticularly of the wide range of imports in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, let alone the obvious missing EF 50,  and re-issues of popular train sets which have already been produced - goodness knows, their catalogue is pretty heavy and many releases were quick sell-outs. But again, I may be guilty of harbouring a foreigner's wish list and being out of tune with Japanese demand. However, that be said, I don't look so often at Microace's release posters so much any more!

Angus McLean

Martijn Meerts

I don't think MicroAce will be releasing the E259 at all. It's too "standard" for them to release. MicroAce also has a tendency to not do re-releases, which means at one point or another, they'll run out of special trains to make models of ;)

CaptOblivious

Kato has definitely managed something of a coup with this model. And now the items mentioned at Tomix's recent sales meeting begins to make them look like also-rans, which is a real shame. I think this turn is very interesting. When is Kato's annual sales meeting, anyone know?

But I think your assessment of Micro Ace is a little unfair. The re-release of the Fresh Hitachi models was quite nice; lately, their focus has been on private commuter rail, and they've done a great job of introducing models over a range of operators. Perhaps this kind of thing does appeal less to Westerners, but you'll notice too the number of people on this board who much prefer modeling private lines to JR. So it sounds like they are serving their market well to me. Although it is true that they haven't touched shinkansen in a good long while, which seemed to be not only their forte, but models with wide appeal.

Leo, when you get yours I'd be curious to read a review of your on the train and in particular the new coupling system Kato has designed.

Oh gawd... I have this thing on pre-order and my 300 series just arrived last week. My wife is going to kill me for real this time.

Time to get something she wants... :angel12:

Oh gawd... I have this thing on pre-order and my 300 series just arrived last week. My wife is going to kill me for real this time.

Time to get something she wants... :angel12:

Would telling her that the first box she saw from Japan was defective and that the new box is the replacement? :confused1:

On second thought I don't even believe that excuse....Clem you're safer going with Leo suggestion.

angusmclean

Do what I do.  With survival rates in my country of about 20 to 1 in favour of females as a result of us having worn ourselves out working hard, my purchases are an appreciating investment for HER future security.

Angus

Just saw one at Joshin in Den Den Town. The train is gorgeous, really beautiful. I don't think I know a train on par with this one... maybe the JR Kyushu 883 Series in Blue Sonic livery.

Well I also saw a very beautiful 103 series in electric green livery from MicroAce but the new Narita Express is really really cool and the new coupling system looks quite good too.

The couplers look great but those windshield wipers look stupid, if anything, they look worse than older releases. Let's start seeing photo-etched wipers (i.e. Modemo) and grab irons instead of those couplers!!!

HW Japan has my item ready, I am still waiting for the e-mail confirmation.  Did anybody get the e-mail from HWJapan and paid for the item yet?

HW Japan has my item ready, I am still waiting for the e-mail confirmation.  Did anybody get the e-mail from HWJapan and paid for the item yet?

no, it always takes HW ages to send the payment mail, needless to say that it will take another few days between payment and shipping. Well that's the price to pay for 26 percent rebate for pre-orders...

no, it always takes HW ages to send the payment mail, needless to say that it will take another few days between payment and shipping. Well that's the price to pay for 26 percent rebate for pre-orders...

GOOD!!! The longer the better. I need to stop spending money.  :cheesy

Claude_Dreyfus

Mine is currently sitting at UK customs. Hopefully get it on Tuesday...no deliveries on Monday as it's a Bank Holiday in the UK.

alpineaustralia

I have received mine just today (at my work). It is a beautiful model.

I think the detail is the best Ive seen so far of any kato train (which is saying something!)

alpineaustralia

I forgot to mention, it is also DCC friendly. What a bonus !

Does anyone know whether there is an add on set. The booklet with it suggests coupling it with another set but doesnt give the itme number of that set.  

bill937ca

...and as expected, they did not manage to ship the parcel before they close down for 5 days..... arrrgh

That sucks.  One of my HS pre-orders came in on Friday and shipped the next day. You have to wait until at least Thursday (Japan time)for your train to ship.  Even then HWJ seem to take the slow route to Narita.

I forgot to mention, it is also DCC friendly. What a bonus !

Does anyone know whether there is an add on set. The booklet with it suggests coupling it with another set but doesnt give the itme number of that set.  

I think Kato wants us to buy an identical set to save themselves some production money.  :laugh: