Tomix - New Releases

4 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Pretty sure they won’t bother especially now they have TNOS.

I am pretty sure you're right.  

And I am pretty sure they will lose a certain amount of business over it, as DCC is the world standard for control, and based on the posts I see on twitter, there is a largish fanbase of DCC even in Japan (not saying it is statistically big).  KATO obviously finds it worthwhile enough to build in the capability.   Nothing precludes TNOS and DCC-ready compatibility in the same trains.   It is not really either/or.

But, I would not bet that they will change their minds.  And I'll just prefer KATO to Tomix for things.  Tomix gets the nod when they have an exclusive, otherwise I'll choose KATO every time when they are DCC-ready.

(I wish KATO would use actually standard DCC physical interfaces instead of their own EM13 style, but I'll take that over nothing)

• Like 1
On 7/19/2019 at 9:01 PM, chadbag said:

(I wish KATO would use actually standard DCC physical interfaces instead of their own EM13 style, but I'll take that over nothing)

This is what I don't get. They could use a six-pin connector and still sell their own type or give you the option of using a different maker. Not to mention less worry with frying decoders by putting them in upside down or space issues in the motor chassis. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:18 AM, Suica said:

Love how people had the chance to vote something that nobody ever released before, but the majority went for models that are already available from other manufacturers... :^)

Can I make the Original 12 car 1000 series from this set by getting the basic and the 6 car add on set?

Looks like they spent a lot of effort in making it as realistic as possible. Looks even like they added bottles in the bar car...

Here is a very thorough gallery of pictures of the Tomix Twilight Mizukaze, courtesy of Japan N Gauge information.

Link to the google photo's album of the TOMIX version

They also have an album with the KATO version. That link can be found in the KATO thread.

I myself pre-ordered the TOMIX version because it already has interior lights installed and has electric couplers, and I am very curious about the special engine they are touting for this release. I'm happy to see they paid extra attention to the interior in the front cars, something which KATO decided not to do (at least, not yet). It's too bad though that TOMIX apparently will not reproduce the curtains in the dining car, like KATO will do. I do like that TOMIX is paying extra attention to details in the undercarriage, something which is also still missing from the KATO version (probably because the coloring isn't finished yet). It's nice too that TOMIX already has interior lighting installed so they can be a bit more flexible with the lighting elements (e.g. lanterns). One thing that irks me (though it may be an optical illusion in the pictures), seeing the TOMIX version, is that the cars slightly curve upwards in the middle. It's something that TOMIX tends to do, I've noticed, especially on Shinkansen trains (my H5 was absolutely horrendous). Perhaps improper plastic material that expands or shrinks, or too rigid foam packaging that's not cut properly? The TOMIX GSE also had extremely flimsy plastic. Hopefully this will not be the case in the final product or it's an immediate return for me.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 2

The next raft of Tomix new releases has come out and it is a bit of a 313 Series bonanza for JR Tokai fans.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster2020nspr2.pdf

There is also the latest Disney desecration of the beautiful JR Kyushu 800 Series, mind you the red looks better than the yellow rendition.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster800Dshinkansen2.pdf

Edited by disturbman
Tomytec thread
  • Thanks 1

There is actually a thread for Tomytec new releases, and one for anything bus related in Platform 2. I moved the second part of your message here.

Additionally, Tomix will also be re-releasing 98018 (JR East キハ47 in blue Niigata livery) and 98022 (South Hokkaido Railway キハ40-1700 'Nagamare'). Which is good, both sets were pretty rare, and 98018 was overpriced on the second hand market.

10 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Additionally, Tomix will also be re-releasing 98018 (JR East キハ47 in blue Niigata livery) and 98022 (South Hokkaido Railway キハ40-1700 'Nagamare'). Which is good, both sets were pretty rare, and 98018 was overpriced on the second hand market.

I am well aware of the price of Nagamare as I was discussing this a while back with Doug Coster, he has been collecting the South Hokkadio Railway models as well as a number of other KiHa 40 varieties.

39 minutes ago, VJM said:

I'm also pleased with the re-release of the Nagamare, as I missed it the first time around.

I hear you on that one as Doug said the prices on Yahoo auctions were ridiculous.

• Like 1
On 9/12/2019 at 7:12 AM, Das Steinkopf said:

There is also the latest Disney desecration of the beautiful JR Kyushu 800 Series, mind you the red looks better than the yellow rendition.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster800Dshinkansen2.pdf

Is this another one that is boycotted for export?  

And yet the Plarail version is okay to export?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10599554

8 hours ago, maihama eki said:

Is this another one that is boycotted for export?  

And yet the Plarail version is okay to export?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10599554

It is orderable on Amazon.co.jp for export (at least to the US).  The Yellow one was as well while still available from Amazon (now it is 3rd party, most of which won't ship Amazon orders internationally even if they do through their own webstores).

Actually both the yellow and red are fulfilled by amiami on Amazon.jp, and say it will ship, but when you put them in your cart and try to checkout it won’t ship to the us. Amiami also does not list them on their English site, so looks like they don’t think they can ship to the us. Hobbysearch also is not listing them on their English site. Modeltrainplus has them for preorder though! Nariichi San is good about inquiring about these sorts of things to the manufacturers.

jeff

I presume the licensing deal signed with Disney is for the japanese market only.

This is okay with me. I'm not too interested in those. The wife is very much into Disney (one of the reasons we're going next week), but not so much the trains.

This has come up before and usually gone away with some poking. I think if Nariichi has it up for preorder he got it cleared for export. 

I think how it worked in the past is that buying from a Japanese retailer directly was not the export that the license was directed at (ie export for resale within the us).

cheers,

Jeff

5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Actually both the yellow and red are fulfilled by amiami on Amazon.jp, and say it will ship, but when you put them in your cart and try to checkout it won’t ship to the us. Amiami also does not list them on their English site, so looks like they don’t think they can ship to the us. Hobbysearch also is not listing them on their English site. Modeltrainplus has them for preorder though! Nariichi San is good about inquiring about these sorts of things to the manufacturers.

When I tested it earlier today, the Red one came up directly sold by Amazon, not Ami Ami, and was shippable to the US.  The Yellow was listed by Ami Ami and would not ship from Amazon. 

Testing it right now, the Red one still comes up as shippable to the US sold by Amazon JP.   The Yellow is only listed by Ami Ami on Amazon.

tomix-800-red.jpeg

Here is the price at checkout on Amazon to the US -- the price for the product is minus the consumption tax plus the expensive (but fast) DHL shipping.  (No I am not ordering -- I wish I could but I want to stay married)

tomix-800-red-price.jpeg.4cb007f442ae309e17988d1bb1a4f2bc.jpeg

Edited by chadbag
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

This has come up before and usually gone away with some poking. I think if Nariichi has it up for preorder he got it cleared for export. 

I think how it worked in the past is that buying from a Japanese retailer directly was not the export that the license was directed at (ie export for resale within the us).

Yeah, in the past it was export to other retailers outside of Japan that was prohibited for most of the licensed livery trains.  Japanese retailers selling to end users outside of Japan has usually been OK.   Based on the fact that the Yellow WAS shippable to the US by Amazon (before they ran out and started putting Ami Ami up as the seller -- I tracked it for a while) and the Red still shows that way, that still seems to be the case, as Amazon is pretty strict about approving things for international shipping.  Most new trains that show up take a few days to a few weeks to start being shippable internationally on Amazon.

Hugh thats weird as last night the red version was only amiami. I had seen the same thing with the yellow one, first being amazon jp (and shippable) and later amiami and not. I guess amazon filled their preorder on the yellow and then went to amiami. Sounds reasonable that amazon started with amiami until they got clearance for global sales today.

yes it took Nariichi asking on some of those to get it cleared up with previous trains. He is good as he goes to the retailer meetings and asks questions like this and gets answers! Surprised that amiami and Hs have not checked this out in this train as the Disney aspect will probably make it sell well internationally and it’s an expensive train so good profits to be had even if only a few trains sold.

ive got s preorder in for the yellow with mtp.

jeff