Tomix - New Releases

Tbh, I'm very interested in the Collection 26. The 701 and in a lesser sense the 719 (I'd rather have seen it in the standard livery) tickle my senses. I might be tempted to even have Greenmax coreless motor units power a 701 Series set, as they're quite hard to obtain from MicroAce.

I'm not saying the trains themselves are not interesting. It's just that I would have preferred trains like these as full-featured Tomix trains rather than Tomytec models with a lower detailing level, without front and tail lights, etc. I just feel like they're going a bit too far beyond the original intention of the Tetsudou Collection, which was releasing niche models that would have otherwise never seen any release at all. Now a large part of it is releasing crappy versions of trains that have already been released by MicroAce, or simply trains that would fit the Tomix brand much better (long 6-car trains etc.). That's considering that a Tomytec train with all accessoires is nearing Tomix pricing points as well. That's my two cents at least.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

These are static models. The motor chassis has metal wheels, while the trailer pack has the trailer metal wheels, metal weights and couplers with metal springs. The idea is that many people just buy to put it on a shelf and this is why you get labeled plastic stands with the train.

I am just glad the only model that really sparks my interest in this round is the toaster... but quite an expensive one to drive all 11 carriages...

more kiha releases here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10495809/50/1

Meitetsu and tankers:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20171011-6.pdf

and E217 and 485 here:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20171011-5.pdf

and a really interesting Hiroshima tram here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10495963/30/1

Fukui tram blue:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10495974

Edited by JR 500系

Wow, for that price it better come with TN's already installed.  I think I may give this one a pass.  I could buy a lot of actual toasters for that amount....

16 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Wow, for that price it better come with TN's already installed.

I doubt that, as the TN couplers are listed among the extra parts.

• Confused 1

I don't see an issue with the price.  In 2009 Tomix Release the E231 Yamanote 11 car set, From HS now is costs 21,XXX yen.  They new 2017 E235 Yamanote 11 car set costs 23,XXX yen.  2,000 yen increase in 8 years isn't too bad.

• Like 1

Yeah the price doesn't seem all that bad for 11 cars. Kato's 2012 E231 Yamanote is listed at 24.5k.

Keep in mind that MicroAce is asking around 45k for 10 car sets these days.

Das Steinkopf
4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

8728 is a new release and is the ENEOS logo version fitted with working tail lights, the previous version fitted with tail lights 8710 has normal JOT livery, if you don't have any Taki 1000's I would highly recommend getting the Tomix version, the Kato ones are cheaper and have a little bit more decal wise but the Tomix versions are superior overall when it comes to detail. I have both Kato and Tomix versions but due to the incompatible nature of the close coupling systems I will be retaining both fleets, my JRF locomotive fleet. is predominantly Tomix with the exception of an EH200 and EF66-100,  I do plan on adding a Kato EF64-1000 in the old blue livery when they are re released but I doubt I will be lashing out on a Tomix EH200 in a hurry when they come out. 

14 hours ago, katoftw said:

I don't see an issue with the price.  In 2009 Tomix Release the E231 Yamanote 11 car set, From HS now is costs 21,XXX yen.  They new 2017 E235 Yamanote 11 car set costs 23,XXX yen.  2,000 yen increase in 8 years isn't too bad.

Indeed... but gotta add in 20 TN couplers at (1500 yen x 4 packs; 6 in a pack) to make it look nicer... that's another 6k in haha ~

Kato's default coupler is much better looking than the Tomix default rapido couplers....   

Only consolation is I do hope the E235 come with interchangeable destination boards like the E233, but I doubt so since the E231-500 doesn't have this function neither...

I don't usually go for Tomix locos because they are not exactly DCC friendly but I might have to get that EF67.

With all the older trains coming out I continue to hope they will reissue the #92149 Hokkaido Chihoku Railway DMU that has never been removed from the catalog but hasn't been available for years.

Anyone got more info on these new mini FG17 controllers?  Looks like they take a universal separate power pack for power supply from the photos.  But no other info I can find.

Tomix is finally releasing JR Kyushu painted Kiha 40s and 47s.  I've been hoping for these for a while.  Seems that the current plan is to release them sometime in February.