Tomix - New Releases

I would like to add that you can use wide/canted tracks on it too. It's possible to add a crossover to the back and turnout pairs to the two S curves to connect the middle track also to the inner loop. Plus the curves can be replaced with curved turnout pairs. So it has more possibilities than the basic plan.

Yap and the roads are all painted so in a way that's fun... I think it serves as a really good and easy alternative if you do not (or do not wish to) have a permanent layout, and can take this mat out along with the tracks and your structures to run the trains once a while, and it still looks good ~  :)

Now we know exactly what this mat:

10352303k3.jpg

can be used for:

Cool idea. I wonder they'll make different ones. In the video they show the oval track set I have (the only track I have :)) and one of the building kits I want. Must be a sign :grin

Yap and the roads are all painted so in a way that's fun... I think it serves as a really good and easy alternative if you do not (or do not wish to) have a permanent layout, and can take this mat out along with the tracks and your structures to run the trains once a while, and it still looks good ~  :)

That's exactly why I bought this mat ( pre-ordered it from HS and it arrived last week. ) I've gotten rather bored with 3' x 4' kitchen table layouts and I don't have the space, skill or money for a permanent layout so this is a nice compromise between the two extremes.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure what it's made of. When i ordered it I assumed it would be vinyl or something similar but it's not. Later I noticed a notation in its HS listing describing it as a "nonwoven fabric" and I'm not sure what that means. Whatever the stuff is it's lightweight which is good since the mat is 6' x 3' and it does look pretty good with my buildings on it. If you look at it you can see that it's intended only for Tomix pre-built structures but with careful placement Kato and Green Max buildings look okay too.

• Like 1

Miyakoji, I just realized my response didn't actually answer your question. Whatever the material is it does seem to be fairly tough. Looks like it'd wouldn't be difficult to cut though if someone wanted to make alterations to it, it's only about a millimeter thick.

• Like 1

Right now I'm using it on my carpeted living room floor. I'm in a small one bedroom apartment so there's no other option for the time being but I'm planning to mount it on a sheet of plywood soon.Without any hills or permanently attached buildings on it I shouldn't have any trouble storing it under the bed.

Cool concept! I have a rug in the basement workshop that is the same thing for kits toy trains and cars!

Could roll your own of these easily with the computer and vinyl sign printing!

Jeff

Cool concept! I have a rug in the basement workshop that is the same thing for kits toy trains and cars!

Could roll your own of these easily with the computer and vinyl sign printing!

Jeff

Me? Not likely. My computer skills are so limited that I'm lucky that I'm able to post on here. :)

One interesting thing that I'm planning to do with the mat is to add pavement markings to the roadways. I have the various dry transfer sheets of these that Kobaru and TGW produce and once I have the mat attached to a plywood sheet ( spray adhesive? white glue? ) it should be easy to add all the turn arrows etc. to it.

Edited by enodenlover

enoden,

Yeah it does take a little computer skill to do this, but not as much as you might think! Simple drawing program can do a lot! Track plan can be done in one of the track layout programs. But sounds like not a project for you!

Hmm is there any extra along an edge you can trim off to test glues? I'm thinking it might be smart to clip out a little bit (could be in a place a building covers) to test the glues with. I am guessing this stuff is a vinyl material as its used a lot to do durable, flexible printing for signs. It at times has a synthetic fiber in it as well to make it very tear resistant. Problem with vinyl is many glues don't play well with it. I'm guessing white PVA glue won't hold in the long run. Spray photo adhesive most likely will but you just want to make sure it does not attack it before spraying the whole thing. You can spray both surfaces and it makes an instant contact bond, but it can be impossible to get it positioned perfectly and unforgiving if you get a wrinkle. Probably want to coat the wood surface liberally and lay down the mat on it as the wood will suck up the adhesive quite a bit and no matter how well you clean it the wood grain will have a lot of embedded dust on it. Painting the surface would help this.

A little brayer roller will help a lot smoothing it out and getting it well stuck down

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Professional-Brayer-Ink-Painting-Printmaking-Roller-Art-Stamping-Tool-6cm-/361414631909?hash=item5425fda1e5:g:HTAAAOSwo0JWKaM-

Sorry I use to do a lot of this kind of paste up of printed stuff for exhibits and its alway a challenge with the mete rials, bonding, and positioning combination/permutation!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

I would say some double sided tape used for floor carpets would hold it without damaging anything. Also the mat can be rolled onto the tape covered surface slowly.

Gordon Werner

saw this online tonight ... thought i'd share 

手元に1/16(土)発売・あさって12/26(土)に先行発売の「鉄道コレクション 江若鉄道キニ9+キハ14」が来たので画像をアップしておきますね。

http://www.keihan.co.jp/traffic/specialtrain-goods/goods-tetsudocollection_kojaku/

flyer.jpg

12/26(土)先行発売の「鉄道コレクション 江若鉄道キニ9+キハ14」。違う角度の画像をどうぞ。色合いが渋いですね

CW-rEcOVAAAd8i4.jpg-large.jpg

CW-rwHOUwAACKiF.jpg-large.jpg

CW-sfc2UEAA7R1O.jpg-large.jpg

Edited by Gordon Werner
  • Like 3

RAIL-20913.jpg

concrete tie buffer.

also releasing a C605-10 4 pack, the S72.5 4pack and C280-15 4 pack.  the PC range is awesome now.  they really only have a few 15 degree curve to finish off the whole range.

Gordon Werner

RAIL-20913.jpg

concrete tie buffer.

also releasing a C605-10 4 pack, the S72.5 4pack and C280-15 4 pack.  the PC range is awesome now.  they really only have a few 15 degree curve to finish off the whole range.

this one has an LED to indicate if the track has power, yes?

Sorry for digging this up again, but I cant help but wonder why again the 227 series is so over-priced. Comparing with the 313 series which is also due to release and have somewhat similar formations:

10352286k.jpg 

227 series

10362808k.jpg 

313 series

Luckily the announcement for the 313 series was after the 227 series, as I worried the price hike in the 227 series will affect the later sets thereafter... Fortunately the 313 series proved otherwise. Or is there something i'm missing that is causing the price difference between the two?

• Like 1

Yes, It will light up with bright orange when there is power on the track.

Yap. I tried my Tomix 1423 too, and it seems really good!

post-819-0-68149600-1452257168_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-25601400-1452257172_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-13446400-1452257173_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Or is there something i'm missing that is causing the price difference between the two?

I guess because it comes in a bookshelf case rather than the cheap foam display pack?  That's been a factor in the price differences in other 3-car sets.

The price difference is probably because of those fall prevention thingies in the front, a lot of R&D put into those.

• Like 1

I have many Tomix 3 car sets and all of them have come in regular book cases unlike Kato with their basic 3-4 car sets that come in the foam and cardboard box and the add-ons have the book cases.